Signs of mold on my top soil?

Hello all, just opened my tent this morning and found a clump of what I believe to be mold on my top soil. I scooped it out and opened my tent to increase air flow. My temp was between 60-75 and the humidity was 60-74 over night. I am running a 195cfm intake fan and a 190cfm exhaust fan to a filter. Any incite or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Drop your room humidity to stay under 60%. My “lung” never gets over 50%. 44% right now. #2 is flower tent. Altho that just looks like perlite?

Perlite will yellow as well.

2 Likes

What’s the easiest way to lower my humidity? It doesn’t seem like perlite, it’s has a consistently like flour. It’s been really humid all weekend here usually it stay around 30-50. I appreciate your help!

With a 30pt dehumidifier…

Wouldn’t go less than 30 pt

2 Likes

How big is your tent? High humidity can sometimes be mitigated with more airflow. 190CFM isn’t very much airflow.

3 Likes

@MidwestGuy caught what I missed. Good job

3 Likes

How old are your plants? Temps are great, personally 50-60% works for me thru week 4-5. I then back it down to 45-50 for the rest of the grow. Do you have a dehumidifier? I have to run 2 exhaust fans and a dehumidifier to keep optimum RH. I’ve grown in tents and find that it’s an experiment with dialing in the environment. Crack the zipper, open an unused port etc… there’s some tent growers are here that could offer better advice. Honestly I never truly understood the static pressures created by exhaust fans, sealed tent and how to combat the rise in RH. I’m tagging a few tent and grow experts for advice @Axemanjake23 @MeEasy @Bulldognuts @AfgVet @latewood

4 Likes

My tent really isn’t big enough for a dehumidifier… I can definitely run a second exhaust fan, if 190cfm isn’t enough what should I be looking for? I appreciate all the tags!

Can you dehumidify the room that the tent is in?

2 Likes

Hello everyone thanks for the tag @OGIncognito … @MrJ2021 where time wise are your plants the rh should change during the grow. If I had to guess you are probably watering to often, the soil doesn’t really look soggy though. You can run the dehumidifier outside your tent in the lung room, if you can lower the rh outside the tent and circulate the air into your tent it will dry out, that’s why everyone is recommending a larger dehumidifier. Like Midwest is asking your tent size is important to when you are figuring out how much cfm you’re going to need, 195 is OK in a small tent and another thing I think is important is to have negative pressure (tent sucking in)

My two cents, I wish you good luck it looks like there’s a lot of helpful people here but if I have another penny I’ll share it

2 Likes

My tent is 32" x 32" x 63". I could run a dehumidifier in the room, but it’s rather large(attic). Only space I can grow in the building. My intake pulls air from outside so not sure if running a dehumidifier in the room would help. When my tent is closed it has negative pressure, looks like the tent is being sucked in. I water the soil every 2 to 3 days depending if the top 3" or so are dry, about 1/2 gal water. Haven’t water it in 2 days. This is a bit out of the normal as I said it’s extremely humid the last two days. You guys are awesome by the way!

1 Like

I will second that vote of awesomeness!

2 Likes

Sounds like you are watering correctly if it drying up top. I’m not sure what the growth is personally I would drown it in a peroxide water mix which should stop it and you can spray the entire area with the mix it’s hard to tell in the color light but I think I see buds, those I would not spray unless it’s necessary any excessive moisture in the buds is risky for molds but everything else can be cleaned with the mix. I use 3 or 4 tbs of peroxide in a quart size hand sprayer.

You might have to change your intake to where it draws air from inside the room and not from outside so you can lower the rh… blowing the air from the tent outside is a good idea

2 Likes

I had this issue when in cups or smaller bags. Have scrapped the top off and it grew back, I sprayed the top with Dr zymes, didn’t really help. I put small fans blowing across the top of the pots which helped some. But in the end, the fungus that was growing on top did t hurt anything and once they started drinking more/faster it resolved itself.

5 Likes

So it looks like a fungus not mold? I should just let it be for the time being?

1 Like

Thanks for the tag, looks like everyone has it covered. :+1:

2 Likes

What makes me think you are right about it being mold is because you said it is powder, I don’t know alot about fungi though but if it is fungi most of that is actually good for your plant

3 Likes

Are you feeding organically, or using a medium with organic amendments? I do and my soil will do this sometimes. Specially right after a heavy watering or a top dressing. Most of the time it is fungi and I leave it.

3 Likes

Looking at my photo does this looking like fungus or mold to you?

I use farm fox nutrients, everything list as organic I believe.

I would say fungi, but I do not know for sure. When in doubt pull it.

2 Likes