Side by side half quantum vs. viparspectra par600 in flowering

This is for my own curiosity , I am putting two good quality leds (blurple) ones a viparspectra par600 and ones a king led 1500w. On the other side I have a hlg288 v2 3000k and a 5 panel sun board ( 98 Samsung S6 Bin diodes ) with alternating spectrum 3x 2700k 2x6500k . I want to see the differences in the flowering stage , if you want to follow along than I would appreciate it and answer and ?

10 Likes

Nice
@dbrn32 might want to check this out

4 Likes

Are there differences in total true wattage?

I don’t know what it all adds up too but it might be a good idea to list the true wattage of the blurples and the total wattage of the other lights so we know he each stacks up against the other as far as consumption goes

4 Likes

@dbrn32. I will post pics of the two sides labeled and see what the differences are with everyone, I already see differences in the stretching , the color differences between the white light led and the 12 band full spectrum is crazy , the plants look like two different colore completely than with the lights off there all the same . Both lights are kicking asss though .

3 Likes

I ran this same experiment. Same medium pro mix amended, same feed schedule, same 5 gallon smart pots. I believe the wattage on the viparspectra 600 par to be 290 at the wall. I was in a 18”x30” cabinet with the viper spectra while other plant was in a 2x4 tent. The plants were Amnesia haze autos and very similar in size and sprouted same day. My results were the viparspectra yielded 5 oz of airy buds dry while the qb’s netted 8.5 dense buds. Both not bad but I believe the qb grown to be better quality although both will hit you pretty hard. I’m set to watching as well! I’ve now added a couple 132 boards in cab with the vipar and may make it a seedling or clone light in the end.

5 Likes

I am very interested and will be watching. Thx @Alpo0721

2 Likes

For this to be really interesting it is important to have about the same wattage on both sides.
As a note, it is a bee in my bonnet, there is only one way to determine wattage - applied voltage X current X pF, any other use of the word wattage (referencing electrical power) is in error!

2 Likes

I will get all the specs together so I can post everything in one post .i know it’s about 450 -500 watts from wall of each in a 3x7. There’s some cross over which I want because I want the best results even if I have to blend qb with a viparspectra . The viparspectra 600par is better than the reg reflector series , at first it was beating out the qb, I was surprised but now it’s been 8 days and the qb side is catching up and has a fuller more even canopy with tons on secondary branches that turned in to full big old colas . On the viparspectra side there’s great huge beautiful main colas with less secondary branching . There is branches coming off the main colas but they are small and will only contribute to the maincolas size in the end and won’t become there own branch .

3 Likes

I agree the vipar is great In veg I generally ran just white and blue switches on for the first couple weeks then would harden off with all three on. The vipar has worked well for me my only complaint were that all my yields were always airy but made some monster plants. Some of the airiness could be due to me running a lot of auto flowers and simply could be genetics. The saving grace and why I stayed with them as long as I have is I generally never had to worry about bud rot and such because of the airy buds with adequate airflow.

2 Likes

Here’s today’s pic side by side

7 Likes

Very cool! What driver is running the sun boards? Those are the boards from photon phantom?

1 Like

@dbrn32 I’m no sure of the brand , I will send a picture , I used a quarter inch thick aluminum griddle that’s nice and flat , I used a hlg240 48b , it’s in the constant current range and I get a good dim , the boards came packaged with Samsung on the package ,sun board is the brand I think , 24v 98 s6 Samsung LEDs per board . they are great you can put them on aluminum rails and bolt them together and have a sick light , I can send you the like for them , you get 3 for 49.99 or close to that or singles of different spectrums for 20.00. I also have a 288 v2 on a hlg240 2100a, that light kicks ass . I still love the viparspectra par series though , for a cheaper light , it packs a punch and brings out the colors in my plants, they really grow fast under it .i also have a king plus led 1500 , not great , not shit , Does it’s job.

1 Like

I tried the same experiment using a Growstar 300w with/Cree pulling 135w vs a diy bridgelux 12"x12" pulling 104w.
To be honest, I didn’t notice much difference in the quality of the results.
But 135w vs 105w giving the same results taught me something.

2 Likes

I can find them. I was just checking driver to get an idea of total power of the light.

1 Like

Here’s some updates on the viparspectra vs quantum board. I am on day 11 of flower .

. You can tell which is which from the color of the light hopefully . I know there’s a lot of quantum board lovers but this viparspectra is def giving competition. What do you think?? How are they looking for 11 days in to flower??

2 Likes

Do you have leaves turning kinda purple under qb, or is that light from vipar? Also wondering what heights the lights are running at?

2 Likes

The qbs are about a foot above and the viparspectra is at about 18 with the king led , I don’t want to bleach the plants and the blurples hurt your plant if there real close 12 is about as close as I go with the viparspectra the qbs have way less heat and don’t burn my plants. , that pic with the purple mush leaves is from the viparspectra, that’s a bud they was in the middle of both lights, to be 100% with everyone the plant under the qb was the biggest but was weird , it has big knuckles at every armpit unlike any plant I’ve grown and was real brittle while lst but it grew like crazy, so I kept it. The plant under viparspectra was my favorite plant, the best genetics

I would probably raise the qb too. Wait til after transition is complete then increase the intensity a little.

Here’s an update on the did by side vs. viparspectra and king led . The Qi side had grown bigger and is now the biggest buds and has bud all the way to the main stem , great penitration. The viparspectra side is beautiful and has heave buds but I can see that the qb has an edge , the plant is just bigger and hardier .i went threw a littel nutrient issue , but there bouncing back , never really got hurt just lost a couple leaves . I got a new line of fertilizer called mega crop , I got the whole line up , bud candy and bud explosion and the kelp extract and the megazyme . I’m starting mega crop line now after a good flushing .

z

6 Likes

Looks like some taco-ing going on.
Where’s your temp and humidity?