Sick Seedlings to Flourishing Seedlings w/HELP 1st GROW

As I said above looks like aphids and no they are not your friends. In the previous pic there is a definite fungus gnat.

3 Likes

The white bug I have is very skinny and long for its size. Does not look like shape of aphid at all. And the baby ones are even smaller as you can see at the very end of video a baby one crawls up toward the bigger one

On a positive note ALL: day 25 after sprouting all three seedlings are taking off and looking like small healthy plants. What do you all think ?

4 Likes

@dclem1010

If they jump, definitely look like springtails, collembola, harmless and beneficial, to some point…

Their capacity to carry spores of mycorrhizal fungi and mycorrhiza helper bacteria on their tegument, soil springtails play a positive role in the establishment of plant-fungal symbioses and thus are beneficial to agriculture.

They also contribute to controlling plant fungal diseases through their active consumption of mycelia and spore of damping-off and pathogenic fungi. It has been suggested that they could be reared to be used for the control of pathogenic fungi in greenhouses and other indoor cultures. (Wikipedia source)

However, in some badly infected soil, they can do some damage on the root system.

So, I suspect that your pH is high and you’re watering to much. Collembola, like fungus gnat, like humid environment. Plus, springtails also like pH above 6.5, above 7, they’ll thrive like crazy…

DE (diatomaceous earth) is the organic solution suggested, and if, only if DE don’t help you get rid of them, you can make a homemade solution of clove and rosemary essential oils, 1:100 (around 1 ml\3 oz) each with pH’ed water.

Or go with a product like GH AzaMax or Spinosad or SNS-203

https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-GH2045-AzaMax-Ounce/dp/B0032JYKGG

https://www.amazon.com/Monterey-LG6150-Garden-Spinosad-Concentrate/dp/B000BWY3OQ

https://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Natural-Science-Concentrate-Pesticide/dp/B017UC5TJW

In hope this will help you, truly yours

~Al :v: :innocent:

4 Likes

I would listen to anything he says.

He’s like the Yoda of weedville

4 Likes

Lol, yes, he is a Yoda.

2 Likes

So…we get past the “sick seedling” stage. Seedlings are doing great and flourishing. Then I notice some bugs in the soil which no one can exactly identify yet. NOW, look at my leaf I just noticed. Is this nutrient deficiency, or nute burn, or do I need a serious bug repellant regimen to start ASAP ? I have a decent wind on the plants 24 hours. No signs of anything at all flying around and nothing with wings. Just those little white springtails and the unidentified little black crawling bug with a tan/ gold butt area. Please see the pic. Holes in my damn leaf. Just this one leaf after inspecting all three plants very closely. What shall I do all? Any home remedies ??

1 Like

It’s weird because the “holes” or lines are almost perfectly in line several cerrations down the leaf. And the leaf next to it looks like it got a small piece munched off ! I don’t want to do a whole bug kill regimen if that’s not what this is.

1 Like

@Donaldj
@Niala

1 Like

Could easily be fungis knats or Thrips thrips live in soil during juvenile stage and only grow wings later in their life cycle

2 Likes

Like @Donaldj said, maybe fungus gnat ?

And in some species of fungus gnat, only male have wings and fly, female are wingless.

IMG_20180926_230051 IMG_20180926_230008 IMG_20180926_225939

So, @dclem1010, it’s really hard to identify an insect with very blur pictures…

I am confident that the one that are jumping are collembola (springtails)

For the black one with golden or copper rear end, well, without a clearer picture in natural light, even me cannot identify it…

Maybe a young Japanese beetle …? Would explain the munch on leaves…!?

IMG_20180926_232556

9i4o

Anyway, the first thing I had recommended earlier, DE is still the best first approach for your collembola problem and Spinosad is an all around organic insecticide and pesticide for foliar spray to fight against what ever is munching on your leaves.

In hope that’s helping you…

1 Like

Hello. Thanks everyone for the input. I’m checking them hourly to see if there is anything. I DID put two videos of the bugs crawling if you scroll up. They are far too small as you’ll see in video to be beetles and they aren’t thrips because they have a totally different shape. I dont think they are gnats either because they look nothing like those pics. Anyhow please view the short videos of the critters crawling live above that I posted. Thx and please let me know. I guess I can do a DE or pest control treatment if I really have to. Let me know. Thx.
@Donaldj
@Niala

1 Like

Scroll up and you’ll see two video eventually that you can pause, rewind, zoom in, anything you want and see these little critters that are still a mystery.

@Niala
@Donaldj

1 Like

There is no doubt in my opinion that in the first video u posted u are chasing around fungus gnats. They don’t all look the same and rarely “fly”. They crawl around the soil and eat your roots. And look like they are jumping when they “fly”.

I would suggest covering the top of your soil with vermiculite. It was the only thing out of everything suggested to me that actually has an affect.

If I’m wrong and it’s not fungus gnats it still appears to b a soft bodied insect that the vermiculite will cut up as they try to crawl thru it. They have short lifespans so if they can’t get in to deposit larvae or babies can’t get out they will die away in 1 lifecycle, about a week.

Sounds like u really don’t want it to b what it is but the sooner u treat for it the better. Good luck.

1 Like

I use simple rule if I spot damage to my plants and I find bugs I class them as hostiles regaurdless until proven otherwise which means DE spinosad and plant hygiene drill trimming any leaves or limbs too close to soil or visibly damaged reduced watering to let soil dry more between watering tighter RH control and increased circulation. Almost all pests hate wind and dry conditions

3 Likes

Sorry, I miss the video, thanks for the reminder @dclem1010 …

I think I have identified them with pretty much certainty, they are most probably flea beetle, maybe the Altica lythri but their numerous of flea beetle species… And they can jump… Adult flea beetle are 1\16"… So right in the target of the size of your video caption.

IMG_20180927_135702

• Try this homemade spray to control flea beetles: 2 cups rubbing alcohol, 5 cups water, and 1 tablespoon liquid soap. Test out the mixture on a leaf of the plant, let it sit overnight, then spray the rest of the plant if you don’t notice any adverse effects. Spray the mixture on the foliage of garden plants that are susceptible to these pests.

• Dusting your plants with plain talcum powder repels flea beetles on plants. As well as catnip and basil on your soil.

• Use white sticky traps to capture flea beetles as they jump.

• Insecticides may be used early , but are generally unnecessary in the control of flea beetles on adult plants. Be extra diligent if your soil has history of bacterial diseases.

From here :

So if DE or\and talcum powder doesn’t work, you can try the rubbing alcohol mix mentioned or Spinosad.

Catnip and basil could be a good idea to keep them at bay after treatment.

In hope that respond to your question and need and that it will be helpful…

Truly yours…

@Donaldj @anon95385719 :wink:

2 Likes

Thx everyone. Putting vermiculite all over on top of soil. And a few other suggestions you’ve all helped me with too. So far no leaf damages but who knows if they are hitting my roots. Thanks again all for being there for me !!

2 Likes

@dclem1010

Vermiculite will hold humidity, it’s like a sponge, I don’t recommend you to do that. Perlite would be better.

However, A good layer of DE on top soil application and sprinkle some on your leaves (or plain talcum powder on your leaves, not on soil for the talcum) is my recommendation.

If, only if this doesn’t work, go with Spinosad.

2 Likes

True. Vermiculite does hold moisture. I’ll get DE tomorrow and layer it on the soil of all three plants. Hope it doesn’t affect PH and what not because mine has been perfect at 6.2-6.5. :grinning:. I’ll get some DE tomrrow. Also, can I already trim off dead leaves and is there any other trimming I should / could do or are they too young still at 1 month old ? I’m not sure when to start a small dose of low stress training or mainlining practices

1 Like

DE is pH neutral, you don’t have to worry about that

I don’t see any dead leaves, maybe cut with scissors some tips that does have necrosis. At this age, it need all the leaves to thrive and make photosynthesis well to help expand their roots.

No training for the moment, let it grow to at least 5 nodes of true 5- 7 leaves, don’t count the 2 or 3 finger set leaves, so I guess not before 2 or 3 weeks before doing any training, let it grow…

And take care of these collembola and flea beetle first, :wink:

1 Like