Should I let her go or continue to try?

Ok so here’s the story. She was germinated August 8. She was placed in Dr.Earth Organic Soil August 13,22(SOIL WAS DRY WHEN SHE WAS PLACED IN, bc i was told to) She was then misted when potted at 2 oz of distilled bottled water at 6.6ph. Then i placed her in the closet with a humidifier, 100W light and a RH/Temp sensor. Since this is my 1st grow i was told to keep humidity at 50% about 2 weeks ago i was told it had to be higher between 70%-80% so i changed humidity to 75% and the temp is 70 night 77-80 day. I DID NOT give water after that bc i was told she wouldnt need water. Then on August 30,22 i gave her 60ml of water and gave her 60ml every 5days after. Soil was dry and has been dry the entire time. This morning was her 5day mark ao i went to give her water and she looks like the pics. I tried to focus in more but gotta invest in a better camera :laughing: her leaves are lime green with the ends turning brown and now at the top of the leaves those brown spots are starting. She brittle asf!!! Her stem is purple and its brittle asf!! Meaning dry!!! She has along long long stem also so added another night from a 60W bulb. At almost 5weeks i think she shouldve been bigger and her keaves bigger but nope… Help what do i do about Celeste??

another question if i accidentally tipped it over and some of the dirt fell out and she fell over to cuz the dirt left if i stood her up and backfilled her wpuld she be ok im actually asking for my 2nd plant i started tuesday in case Celeste kicks the bucket…

1 Like

Ive never heard if this. Quite the opposite actually as ive always rehydrated my coco and then planted the seed in the wet coco but ive only grown coco. I would definitely water her. Weed typically likes a wet dry cycle and you’ve been keeping it dry which could be causing your problems. Ill tag some other growers and hopefully we can get you sorted out

And yes you can backfill if the pot gets knocked over or even if you left room in the pot and your plant is struggling to support itself (too leggy). I like to leave an inch or 2 at the top of the pots or planters im using to cover the stem up some more and support it better
@Aussie_autos @Storm @Pet_de_Chien @Caligurl @Covertgrower @HMGRWN @Myfriendis410

3 Likes

I just looked at Dr. Earth soils and there is 18 varieties.
Which one are you using?

1 Like

I had to go count them for myself. Someone in product development must have a little OCDC

3 Likes

I could only fit 15 in my pic…Lol

1 Like

Number 2 All purpose

Just my two cents. I always start with moist medium.

3 Likes

So in another forum i found this chart and to me she looks somewhere between K and MO

1 Like

Insufficient light is causing stretch, likely soil is not in PH range for cannabis to uptake. For future reference, cannabis-friendly soil is buffered to a PH between 6.3 and 6.8. You can use a tomato-specific soil as well but have to worry about adulterated soils using harsh salts.

The medium should be damp but not wet, for the first two weeks a dome and misting inside of same will provide all the moisture the sprout needs until a taproot forms. Until then it derives all of it’s moisture out of the air.

1 Like

Total, and I mean TOTAL, newbie here!! Wedding Cake at 8 days (well, 8.5). Reading all about patience, etc, but…my OCD, ADHD, type A personality is causing me to fret. Medium is Pot for Pot Super Soil, mini grown bag. Am I looking healthy? Should I see more growth at this point? Currently have blue spectrum light, will switch to red at flower stage (have the ability to use both light spectrums simultaneously if suggested). Any advice to help a sister out would be greatly appreciated! (A late November birthday gift for myself, hoping for success!!!) Tired of commercial crap, and honestly? Scared about the state of the world and what could be present on anything i don’t control. Thanks in advance y’all!!

4 Likes

Ok so i started a new plant on tuesday should i get different soil and see if that helps? Your suggestion on soil? For the new girl her soil was moist but not wet and shes looking ok for now. Also reading should i be using cal meg with the distilled water?? And lighting how many watts are they needing right now i have then under 160 true watts

1 Like

A good start :+1:

That is a question for a couple of weeks from now. As noted by @Myfriendis410 , No watering will be necessary until the roots are established in the already moist medium. Highly recommend the dome.

What lights exactly. Most LED’s advertise as “equivalent” wattage not true draw.

1 Like

I prefer to start sprouts in rock wool, which is wetted then squeezed almost dry. You can also use a seed starter mix without nutes or straight coco. Plants benefit from just water without any fertilizers until the first leaves (cotyledons) turn brown. This is your sign to transplant into your soil medium.

Based on the stretch of your plant I’d say you need to either lower existing light (like to know exactly what light you are using) or replace with a higher powered fixture.

There are a number of good soils from Fox Farms, Roots Organics, Black Magic, etc. that are set up for cannabis. This is really your best choice unless wanting to go with something like coco (my preferred medium). But coco requires daily irrigation and nutrients.

2 Likes

Welcome @WonderGirl33 . First advice would be to cut that wrapping off your starter pellet. Those are notorious for binding/choking the roots.
You may also want to remove some of that soil to leave room in case you need to build up around the stem. I doubt the roots have penetrated the pellet yet so should not cause any stress. Just kinda repot so soil is about 2 inches below the rim of planter…

3 Likes

Don’t fret. You’ve got a great group of folks here happy to help. I think I only got pulled into this by total mistake but since I’m here I’ll offer a bit of guidance -

She’s tall and leggy. Backfill as HMGRWN suggests (removing some soil from underneath and burying the stem up to around 1-2” below the cotyledons - the little round starting leaves - is where I’d fill to).

Next, don’t compare your plant against others’ grows - it’ll be real tempting but many of us have gone down that road only to be disappointed. If your plant genetics are below average, which to be frank happens more often than you’d think, then you may start chasing your tail over problems that are inside the plant’s wiring, rather than a result of your own growing ability.

Consequently, find a couple growers who match the style you prefer (water once a day and otherwise ignore it, a hands-on approach, a totally set it and forget it style) and follow along with their journals.

A few set-it-and-forget-it folks are myself, @Nicky @PurpNGold74 @Syndrix and probably many others.

Some organic and more hands on growers are @Caligurl @JaneQP @MeEasy

Folks who have used Pot4Pot before are @Twelve1 and @Fiz

Excellent Scroggers are @AfgVet and @HappyHydroGrower

Happy growing!

6 Likes

@WonderGirl33 , you can comment by clicking the reply under a comment or the one at the bottom of the thread. I think you linked the entire thread as a quote or something.
Don’t worry though, you will get the hang of how it works. :wink:

2 Likes

Trust me, i can make problems, lol! I’ll cut the wrap and backfill as both @Graysin and @HMGRWN have suggested a litte later this evening. Appreciate the advice on not comparing-- comparison is the thief of joy!!

3 Likes

I wondered @HMGRWN, wasnt even sure how to start the question thread. I fear i may have hijacked @Raven09 's post!! So sorry if i did!

2 Likes

UX1000

1 Like

As a new member, you will be limited for a while as to what you can do. Hijacking a thread is really the best way to jump in. I suggest you check in regularly, comment often and read a lot. There is a great wealth of knowledge already posted but feel free to ask literally anything at all. You will receive a flood of responses. You will climb the “trust ladder” quickly like that.

4 Likes