Should I have watered my pots before transplanting

The reason I am asking this is because after transplanting and watering long enough to get all the soil damp they have settled about 2 inches. Everyone says bigger roots mean bigger fruits and now I have cut my available soil by 20%. I used FF with compost, worm castings and perlite in a 5 gal. pot for 5 autoflowers. Right now plants are looking great and are about 6 inches tall. I have enough room under 1st set of leaves to add an inch of soil back in at this time but don’t know if that would be a waste of time. Will the roots grow upward and make use of this additional soil. If so, when they get a foot tall could I trim the bottom set of leaves off and fill up pots all the way. PO

@pogo,

Your doing fine my friend ? First I would like to Welcome you to our world of growing here at ILGM
and to our awesome community.

Sounds like your off to a good start. If you add the soil to the top the roots will not grow up…
and yes when they get that tall go for it and they will be fine.
if you have any other questions please feel free to ask any time… ok?

B Safe

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Will know better next time.

1 Like

@pogo

I was going to tell you that I make a hole for the plant and soak it good with water and root shock or any
root shock will do and after the plant is in its new home I’ll give it another shot and this will help her durning transplant my frind

2 Likes

I think were on the same track. I started in cup of water then peat pellets. Transplanted to big pots about 2 days after cotyledons opened up. No roots were showing out of pellet. I put some michorizza powder in the hole and watered it in before I transplanted. Media in the center of the pot was damp just wasn’t thinking about the rest of the pot at that time. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

@pogo,

The hole pot doesn’t mater where your plant does my friend.
If you don’t mind i’ll be falling along.

B Safe

Depending on if you are planting into its final resting home or not makes some difference as to how you will water. If you are planning on potting up a few times, I find a great way is to place your medium into a large tote and sprinkle water on it, mix it and sprinkle some more on it, do this until it is uniformly humid feeling. You should not be able to grab a fistful and squeeze water out of it. It should be barely moist. If you layer the moistened medium and pack it firmly…within reason… this is ideal. Example, take moistened promix and firmly pack bottom of 6 inch pot, place 2 inch pot in the middle and pack medium around it. This material is now pre watered and ready to recieve your 2 inch plug. If you wish to inoculate prior to planting do so.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. Water it before you put it in the pot. That way you know moisture content from top to bottom. I’m learning. Plants are looking good on day 18.