Should I be so scared of Space Heaters?

Hello wonderful ILGM members!

My indoor tent is in an unheated basement which stays around 55 F in the winter.

The LED lights bump the tent temperature up to only about 65 F which seems to have really stunted my grow.

I am terrified of running a space heater. #2 cause of house fires. And yes, some of those fires are kerosene but some are also electric space heaters.

I have a small 1500W ceramic element space heater about 10" blowing in the intake port ( see photo)… but I am still afraid to leave it on at night or when we are gone at work when nobody is in the house that could smell smoke if the unthinkable happened.

It does have a tip over kill switch.

Am I being overly cautious?

3 Likes

There’s a inherent danger with most space heaters make sure the safety systems are working the oil filled ones seem to be about the safest you can also change your light schedule so that the lights are on during the night and off in the day when it’s warmer

4 Likes

I wish they made a very small oil filled version but haven’t seen one.

That way, it would fit inside my 3x3 and have room for the 4 plants. The one I have is just too big.

Is there a low profile oil filled heater anyone has seen?

1 Like

Put the heater in the lung room run your intake hose over to the heater

1 Like

I hear you there… Can you tap into your heat ducts in the basement and run a hose to your tent? I did that when I had my tent in the basement. Eventually I got tired of the cold in the winter and the humidity in the summer and just moved up stairs for better control.
The space heater was a no go for me. I’ve seen them melt cords and outlets even with added safety features.

2 Likes

If I want to heat a basement or greenhouse, this is what I would buy
https://www.amazon.com/Bio-Green-PAL-2-0-USDT/dp/B06XCJGNJK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?gclid=Cj0KCQiAi9mPBhCJARIsAHchl1zWmFcvpZ0rk-8ZccFc3t9zzocupvR7ZMmyqxrJF9Z1oRSIiHL2F2IaAudFEALw_wcB&hvadid=499612394154&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9021724&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=13224134144293124828&hvtargid=kwd-545659294979&hydadcr=26691_9854701&keywords=greenhouse+plant+heater&qid=1643555801&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFCU0xQVTZVSFBNR1kmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzOTg1MjczR1ZaTlJDSjlUTzNVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NjEyMDdBRzZaOUJGUE9IRzkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl?tag=greenrel-20
Best bang for the buck

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Portable-Radiator-Heater-White/dp/B07HGFB3FQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3CP0N7B5Z777Q&keywords=radiator%2Bheaters%2Bfor%2Bindoor%2Buse&qid=1643555950&refinements=p_72%3A1248915011&rnid=1248913011&s=home-garden&sprefix=Rad%2Caps%2C91&sr=1-4&th=1?tag=grenrel-20

4 Likes

The tapping into the existing heat system idea I also had. There is a flexible duct shoot going right by the tent.

Will there be enough positive pressure from my grow tent exhaust so that the tent doesn’t back feed into the duct and stink up the house with weed smell?

1 Like

I have one like that. Is too big

2 Likes

This one is smaller and 700W.

2 Likes

Excellent. That one might be small enough. The width is the key dimension.

That is a viable option as well as cutting into the existing flex duct as long as i can put in a manual damper.

This was very helpful. Thanks!

1 Like

I used a duct booster to adjust air flow… Never had a problem

1 Like

I cannot tell you how much you all inspire me

I went to Lowe’s, got some 3" flex air duct, connector and cap… And now… I am already in business!

Even have a poor man’s version of a regulator…

Can’t thank you enough for these ideas.

Now, I’m worry free about a fire hazard in heating the tent. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Best way to go. This was our goto raising kids and Rotts. Knockem over…np. Efficient. No moving parts. No fan needed. Get subzero every year.

3 Likes

@VirginiaGrowBoy , keep a eye on your vpd. Looking good​:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

@KoolHandLuke

I might get a patent on it. :joy:

1 Like

I have two oil filled radiator heaters 700w.

They work great with a fan blowing through it for more efficient heating… Plus I have them hooked up to inkbird temperature controllers and my 4x4 in same conditions you listed… I also have the tent up on pallets…due to cold floor and a 20"x48" vivosun heatpad under the tents tray.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MXEDAV2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-1200W-Temperature-Controller-Greenhouse/dp/B01HXM5UAC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=2OVLCNRSAGO41&keywords=inkbird+temperature+controller&qid=1643648149&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sprefix=Inkbird+te%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A3HQOH7T38QBA3&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNEFMQVRONE83MTdQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODMzOTQ2M1IxWTE1UjlPTkk2UiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTIyODAwMklVUzE3TklFSFEyUyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Don’t forget to tape the leds!

3 Likes

Nice job… just a heads up… Unless your vents are new or have recently been cleaned you might want to consider something like pictured below. You don’t want any dust/ hair or dander getting pushed into your tent from your home ducts.

You could probably get away with using cotton batting for DIY pillows or something cheaper. Or maybe even a pair of women’s stockings

2 Likes

Never even thought of that as a problem. Appreciate it… onto that now!!

1 Like

Remember that any light during your plants dark cycle can cause problems with your plants. So if your heater glows that may not be a good thing. Also that big on/off indicator light it has. You may want to cover that with electrical tape.

But the best thing to do is to have the heater located elsewhere with a duct hose running from it for intake air.

Actually they are all autos… so light leaks are not a worry :slight_smile:

1 Like