Should I be raising my lights? Slight Foxtailing

Hey.

I’m at week 6 of flower as of today. Buds are looking fat and are feeling very dense and heavy. I had no space to LST this grow, so my 8 plants just had some minimal tying down at the beginning then I just let them go.

My lights, 2x 450watt Helios 450x (new zealand made so no surprise if you haven’t heard of them), sit about 6 inches from the tallest colas. And probably about 12 inches from the majority of the the colas. I’ve just noticed some minor foxtailong in the last few days. I’m wondering if I should turn my light intensity down, raise them (only have 4 inches of space left so I can’t raise them much) or if I’m in the money spot. I’ve never actually made it past week 7 of flower, I’ve had one grow hermie, another grow i had to harvest at week 7 because my kids almost caught me out, and a grow where i just jumped the gun and harvested too early. I’m intent on getting to the end this time.

Should I raise my lights?

These photos were a week ago, no foxtailing. I don’t have more recent pics and I’m at work.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Ya raise the lights up alittle and turn down the intensity to prevent further foxtailing. I’d get the Photone app to measure the intensity basically. I stick around 1000 ppfd on the par meter.

2 Likes

Alright, ill give that a go when I’m home. Thanks for the tip. Should i maintain that light intensity right til the end? Or continue to decrease it?

1 Like

You should be able to keep it set there, but if you see more foxtailing, lower it down slightly below 1000 ppfd. I keep mine set at around there with no issues.

3 Likes

Ok bro sounds good. Thanks for your help. Ill give that a go.

2 Likes

No problem

1 Like

I have made it part of my routine. Get to day 42 from flip and drop intensity and again around day 56. I
decreased based on watts drawn. I just recently downloaded Photone app and want to do a better job quantifying PPF and DLI

4 Likes

Ya same, didn’t have the exact date range but more when I see big changes in bud structure I turn it down little by little. It ended up around 1000.

Idk anything about that light but I can assure you that’s too close for 450w

2 Likes

Well let’s hope 10" will suffice, I can’t go any higher. Lesson learnt regarding quantity. 8 plants in a 4x8 ft tent works, but leaves no room for training. I’d be better off using 4 plants to fill my Scrog again, as the yield would be about the same if I fill the floor space.

Just for next time, what is an appropriate height for a 450w light? 18"? More? I don’t have any light burn so I guess I got lucky

1 Like

Depending on how much intensity"18-22" seems about right

1 Like

But the colas are beautiful

1 Like

Thanks, appreciate it. Its been a bumpy road thanks to a huge mistake with neem oil (sprayed a strong neem solution all over the plants in week 4 of veg with lights on which almost killed them and lost me 3 weeks of time while they recovered). Not my brightest moment.

But yea the smell is incredible. One of my 8 plants is an unknown CBD strain. Its about 2 weeks behind the rest in terms of maturity but the buds are literally as fat as a baseball bat. It has almost no smell. And I don’t see any trichomes. Not sticky either. Will be interesting to see what it gives me and what I can do with it, or who I can give it to, to make balms etc!

I’ll never get over weed.

I would raise lights. Avoid the stress

1 Like

Can you check your DLI?

My PPFD at the top colas is between 1000 -1100.

In the middle of the plant its about 700 PPFD.

2 Likes

Should be good to go now, I just adjusted mine to that range since I hit the time frame to do so.

1 Like

That was without any adjustment. I raised the lights a little bit. Maybe I need to lower it to 900?

It’s actually advised to stay around 800 with out adding co2 once getting upto 1000-1200.
However 1000 hot spots are not always any kinda problem, especially if the rest or most of the canopy is at around 700 range…

I’d say if there is no light stress on the tallest colas then no adjustment needed. If you’re getting a little yellowing on the tallest parts, could maybe try to bend them over to gain a few inches :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Question, so what’s more important PPFD or DLI? Or do you slit the difference. I’m running the HLG 260w xl qb in a 2x4 tent, from all the info I’ve seen. I’m not getting both.