Short autos - can they get taller?

My autos are only about 2 ‘ tall. With lots of

buds. Are they stunted? Outdoors in southern VT. 11-12 hours of sun right now

3 Likes

Unfortunately with Autos, that’s the variable. They can be really large or super small.

3 Likes

Thanks for the fast reply. I never knew that. No more autos for me.

1 Like

I grow for variety and for the fun of growing. Grew autos first grow ever 2 of the 3 were bigger than 4 of my 4 photos. You never know what you’re gonna get. Do we really know if we’re getting the strain we order online. I know what I’ve grown gets me real high and I’m not paying for it, sure cost of growing but that doesn’t count with me, it’s free woohoo and I never that I’d have more than I could possibly smoke. I think I was gonna say something but I forgot. Anyway sit back and enjoy the ride of farming.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts

You probably can’t get too much more height on this grow, but if supplement during dusk and dawn with some lighting you might be able to more out of the next set of girls. Did you start them indoors first? I usually run 20 hours lights on when used to grow autos and indoor in my grows. Maybe next year an outdoor grow.

It’s not that autoflowering plants are randomly short or tall. Certain strains have certain height ranges(which can be far exceeded with the right techniques). After that, it’s all about how much growth you can get out of them before they enter the flowering stage. Give them all the nutrients (varies by strain) and light they can handle. You will get a lot more distance between nodes with a Metal Halide bulb in an HID fixture than you will with LED. You will get lots more growth outside than inside. You will get lots more growth using hydroponics than soil. You can do LST and HST. There are people who have grown 7 foot monsters.
You can find lots of tips and mythbusting over at the autoflower network.

If I could give some unsolicited advice, it would be - instead of trying to grow big plants, try to grow great plants. Monster plants and monster colas are fun to show off to your friends, but making them forget their name is something they won’t soon forget(pun intended). If you want more yield, you can always grow more plants.

2 Likes

Cool thing about autos indoors is giving them 18-20 hours of light during flower will really get those buds big and plump but how big your autos are depends on the type you got and the pheno of each plant I’m growing 3 super skunk autos from ILGM had them tied down hard stalks are almost sideways let them loose right before stretch (very tight nodes) now I’m pretty happy with the outcome and I will never let one grow out naturally LST all the way

been in true flower for about 8 or 9 days I believe excited to see how fat those buds get! And still stretching slowed down a bunch but still going

1 Like