Shop Vac or Autopots

Trying to not have to move the pots when I water, I only have a 2-3 pots at a time. Should I invest in a quiet shop vac and hand water or get an autopot system? I run jacks with happyfrog right now.

2 Likes

im going to switch to auto pots as soon as my budget allows. I simply watered incorrectly forever(didnt water to run off) Then when i started watering correctly it soon became a real chore. lifting pots and switching catch trays.

2 Likes

Shop vac saved my grow haha

2 Likes

Just gonna drop this here. These work very well…

5 Likes

Funny I just bought this today…… :call_me_hand:t2::call_me_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Dang brother that’s perfect! I’m guessing that catch basin is big enough to handle some run off?

Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

Yeah it was $49.99 at Runnings. Figured 2.5 gallons is perfect for runoff switch out the filter and I can dry vac out any spilled soil or blown around perlite. Best of luck. :pray:t2::pray:t2::call_me_hand:t2:

1 Like

A pint or so, I’d say. I have over-flowed mine.

1 Like

If my choice was autopots or shop vac, i would choose rdwc system. Autopots are just passive hydroponic systems, like hydroponics but not as good and open potential float valve issues. For 2-3 plants a recirculating system would be pretty much the same as assembling autopots and probably cheaper. The only downside would be maintaining your res temps could be a little pricey depending on your climate.

1 Like

Basement temps stay around 65. I know nothing about DWC, I’ll do some research.

1 Like

Do a simple rack and saucer setup. Slide the saucer out and empty it. Can’t get any easier.

One of my scrog frames

I also use autopots

4 Likes

Ended up getting those trays you recommended. They work great but a couple times now I’ve overflowed the drip trays haha. Was curious if you think that they hold enough runoff for a 3 gallon pot. Doesn’t seem like the 20% runoff I shoot for. Do I need 20% run off with jacks?

1 Like

I haven’t used Jacks, but I do have them in bigger saucers when I am watering in the tent (and not my deep sink) for just such a mishap.