Shipping seeds in the summer - is the summer heat/humidity OK for them?

I’m looking to get some seeds to use for early fall, but I’m not sure when I want to order them. Is it stressful on seeds (heat, humidity) if they are shipped in the summer? Or is it better to order them pre-summer (and then of course store them properly)?

A good seed bank will know how to package and mail them to keep them safe. If they get hot enough it they actually may germinate or even hotter it will cook them. Another issue is crushing. My friend mailed me some seeds in a plain envelop and they arrived crushed to seed butter. So it would depend on your source and maybe time in shipping. My seeds from here have always come very fast, as have another seed bank.

I don’t work for ILGM and no affiliation other than I have had very, very good luck with them. I trust them for my seeds above other seed banks.

I would order when you can to avoid heat and put them in a cool, dark dry place. I have kept them in the refrigerator in a sealed smell proof weed container, and I put packets of that silica in with them and even the bagseeds will germinate.

3 Likes

KikiGee, yep, same - avoiding the heat (and properly storing them) is what I’ve been leaning towards.

I’m a newbie on my second grow (2-week old seedling), with seeds that I bought from ILGM (white widow autos). 2/2 on germination, and this current grow, well I messed up the early part, but she didn’t seem to care and is growing like a weed, lol. :slight_smile: Likewise, I’m cautious about buying from a different seed bank; I’ve been happy with ILGM.

1 Like

Way to go! They are pretty resilient. I put a couple of autos in my photo grow to just see how they would fare. One looks like a lush salad green plant and just hanging out not flowering way past due. The other I thought was a gonner and looked awful, well it is loaded with buds, not a lot of leaves, and to think, I nearly tossed it out.

The mighty Lemon Haze auto that just would not give it up!

2 Likes

Nice! Yeah, I almost threw out my seedling because she looked a bit pathetic and didn’t seem to be growing after finally getting the seed membrane off her a couple days after sprouting. And then I made my other/different mistake. But so far, so good. Very soon/within the week, I’ll do my first LST attempt. :slight_smile: