Shatter's Vegetable Garden

Nice buy my friend, for sure inside it gets to be a chore.

@highcountrygal got to look into those shishito peppers.

2 Likes

Here is a pic

5 Likes

Great looking peppers, bet there flaming hot.

1 Like

No No not at all hot they are sweet spicy not hot spicy. The shishito peppers are the curly ones the others are garden salsa

1 Like

They are really hard to find started. I got my seeds from Sherwood’s Seeds Amazon.com and every one I planted sprouted!

2 Likes

@Mrcrabs I like the wire fence as a base, I have some of that too!

Here in the north, south facing and running east to west is essential for a green wall for when the the sun is low in the sky come fall. Also I switch to pure-cal in my formula when the days become colder, it’s calcium nitrate purified of NH4 (ammonium nitrate)

I think that’s what brought us here! It’s allot of work, but the reward is sweeter! I have apple, pear, and peach trees too! My Aloe Vera has to stay potted, the soil here is regularly saturated, a few times it rained so long I treated the ground with H202 (hydrogen peroxide) to stop the roots from drowning!

Around here you have to be ready to change your game moment to moment! A wet harvest season means using fungicides or spraying with deluded Clorox or H2O2, I prefer H2O2! and I use powdered sulfur brushed on the lower stem to stop slugs and fungus (stem rot)

People that have it sunny every day don’t know what they’re missing!

3 Likes

I’m in a hot humid/dry area , don’t get lots of rain but when we do it pours, they Farm year round over here, lots of citrus, onions, corn, watermelon, sugarcane and lots more. We rarely get frezzeing temps. But it happens, it’s not for us to decide just have to adapt to Mother Nature.

1 Like

@Shatter I have 1 Washington Navel Orange tree over 40 yrs old, 1 Meyers lemon, 1 Bearrs Lime, a 5 variety apple tree, 1 Apricot tree a peach tree and an olive tree. Does that give my location away? lol My house runs north and south but my yard is west and east, if that makes sense. I’ve got the perfect gardening space

3 Likes

just getting back from my buddies farm, onion harvest is here !! Time to spread the harvest with friends and family!!

5 Likes

Today the migration starts! Indoors to outdoors in the shade until overcast, no direct sunlight for a few days, for now they stay in boxes for a couple weeks until frost danger ends, but they should be well adjusted by then, after that, the transplanting begins, and the pipeline will be full from inside to out as the last are removed from artificial halide light.

Here they are indoors after spreading them out, they needed room to avoid overcrowding, thus the migration begins! My little travelers should all be in the ground in a couple weeks! These were planted in soil using our hydroponic grow formulation instead of making it strong and using it less often (experiment). They were a little underfed for safety sake until I learned the “throttle” ratio going back and forth between feeding and watering without toxifying the soil.

The artificial light is deceptive as to just how green they are making it easy to over fertilize, I bring test subjects outside to visually determine nutrient loading.

Here they are in boxes outside that can be moved about for acclimation (time to juggle about without freezing or sun burning).

Some people hate them, but god I LOVE TOMATOES!

5 Likes

@Mrcrabs @highcountrygal @Seeddog @discobot @1449766997-6My3

Just like the settlers of the old west I decided to use wagons to make the journey from indoors to out.

They’re forecasting thunderstorms, I’ll be able to roll them inside with ease. The pallets work well but I’m likely gonna need some sticks and twine to make some kind of makeshift grid netting to stabilize until they can be planted and tied proper.

They were just rolled out of the morning sun and into the shade until late afternoon to avoid any burning and bleaching, and half strength hydroponic grow solution. I’ll be thinning the carts the same way I did the indoor nursery. planting them in pots and in the ground. the peppers I like in pots to keep them from drowning if it rains steady as sometimes it does, I get better peppers when they’re potted, I have more control.

All it takes is one mistake and they’re all damaged or dead! (frost) (hail) (Indians)

4 Likes

Love the wagons great idea, very nice haul there my friend.

1 Like

my first cantaloupe, @highcountrygal, @Shatter

6 Likes

Let me know when it’s ripe!

2 Likes

Sure will, my friend.

2 Likes

@highcountrygal @Seeddog @Mrcrabs @discobot @1449766997-6My3

I rolled out the plant’s chuck-wagen today!

Mixing, delivery, and feeding made simple!

Here’s some photos;

On the right (shaded) is my mixing barrel.

The mix about to be pumped into the trailer;

Transfer pump from mixing barrel to trailer.

Peppers in pots and held in place with string from post to post, front and back, transplants are a breeze, just cut the front row of string, pull them out, transplant, slip back in place and replace the front row of string/s

I have another composite dumping trailer I use to mix the soil and perlite in.

I can drive by doing transplants right in the trailer without having to bend over. When I do have to kneel I use a tiny vinyl covered foam rubber cushion to protect my knees and save my back.

Each timber has parallel pipes with string and the plants go in the middle.

I just had to get this shot after noticing it!

Have a great gardening day everyone!

Enjoy your summer! ( southern hemisphere members not withstanding)

5 Likes

Very nice . That statue looks like me .lol Here is my garden all tilled and fertilized with 12-12-12 .

5 Likes

Very nice setup my friend, love the budda shot. @Seeddog great job on that tilling looks great ready for seedlings.

2 Likes

my cloned Oregano looks like I did some LST on it.

3 Likes