Sharing some advice that seems to be working

When I went to the grow shop to buy soil to start a grow, I got to talking to the guy at the shop who sounded extremely knowledgeable. I was going to buy ocean forest, and some FF nutes, but he said people make it way more complicated than it needs to be, so sharing what he told me. He said use happy frog soil, mix in a little happy frog fruit and bloom, and then top dress once a month after that. He said he promised I’d be happy, and that’s all I would need. So far I have a very happy plant. First week of 12/12 today. Very easy. I’ll see how it progresses, but so far he’s right.

12 Likes

Now learn how to make it so u cut down on happy frog prices

2 Likes

True, but $14 for a 4lb. bag is pretty reasonable compared to some of that other stuff I’ve used, like the FF trio. You only apply a cup to cup and a half depending on the height of the plant once a month, pretty economical.

2 Likes

Depends, buy a few hundred of them and holla back. Learning to make organic soil is the key to growing big stinky buds. Just my two cents. Good luck and happy growing.

2 Likes

I tried something very similar to that on my last grow, and I did it right next to plants that I fed my regular Advanced Nutrients to. I used Earth Dust by the Green Sunshine Company. The plants did great through veg. Most of them actually looked better than my Advanced Nutrients plants did for the first 6 weeks or so.
The outcome was that 2 of the plants in the Earth Dust did great, the other 4 were very troublesome from mid flower on. I brewed teas for them, and I even snuck some nutrients to a couple of them because I hated seeing them suffer. In the end, my plants that I fed regularly with AN are all larger with much bigger buds than the ones that were in Earth Dust. There are plenty of growers here using that method and loving it, but it just wasn’t for me.
I certainly don’t want to discourage you, and I hope your grow goes great. Even the plants that didn’t do so well in the Earth Dust still produced really nice buds, just not as big or nice as the ones I fed normally.

2 Likes

Hmmmm, I’ll have to keep an eye on them, and if they start looking weird, I’ll feed them some nutrients I have. I still have a lot of MaxiBloom. And cha ching, and beastie bloomz.

2 Likes

Yeah, sounds reasonable to me as well. I paid $52 for two 4lb. bags of the Earth Dust. I’m going to use the rest of it for my tomato plants, so at least it won’t go to waste.

1 Like

Whoa where are you all at Alaska.? I get the 40lb bags of happy frog @ $14.95 ocean forest @ $15.95

2 Likes

Fox farm has a dry ammendment line thats also called Happy Frog, so we were talking about those prices, not the soil. And the Earth Dust is the same. They pitch it as being much easier than mixing nutrients, and in that regard it definitely is, but after using it for a grow I realized that I kind of enjoy mixing feedings for my plants. Plus, I feel the plants like the Advanced Nutrients feedings better than the dry ammendments.

2 Likes

@BigItch wow…that is a deal. I just pd 34.99 on Amazon. where did u get it so cheap. ? great deal

Yes me too. Ffof is 1695 per bag. Ffhf is 15 and change. Canna coco bricks r 14 50 each brick here.

1 Like

CountryMax not sure if they have one in your area but I’d do a quick search. They keep it indoors and dry.
Clyde’s also carries it within a dollar difference. There is also a place in Buffalo but it’s not a chain so I’m guessing a little far from you.

1 Like

The Fox Farm website has a dealer locator. If you can find it locally it will be much cheaper. Shipping something that size is expensive.
https://foxfarm.com/find-a-dealer

This is the stuff I’m talking about.

1 Like

Gotcha, sorry to jack the thread on the side of soil prices.
@beachglass is somewhat local so hopefully I helped her out at least.
Happy growing

1 Like

I forgot about Clyde’s. they re only 20 minutes away!! Thanks @BigItch . How does your garden grow?

It’s going pretty well. The one on the left seems light but can’t figure out why? Flushed it so now waiting for recovery.Oh well imma keep trucking

1 Like

@BigItch mine sprouted on 2/2/22. I do like the light meter on phone. Don’t have to guess too much

1 Like

Starting out right :+1: