Shade leaves off or on?

Plants are in late vegetation. I’m getting wildly different answers when it comes to removing the shade leaves. I’m about to flower right now. Q: Should I be removing the shade leaves or not removing the shade leaves? Ticket is below the pics

STRAIN: Blue Dream
MEDIUM: Super soil = FFOF, Neem, hydrocorn, kelp, superchar, worm castings
TOP DRESSING: Nature’s Pride veg/ Nature’s Pride Bloom
TEA: ½ cup Boogie Brew Base + ½ cup Boogie Boost
WATER: 1 tbs Liquid Seaweed/gal + 5 ml Blackstrap Molasses/gal
POTTING: 5 gal. “smart pots”
PH: 6.0
Run off PH: 5.8
LIGHTING: Originated in 2X2 tent with 125 W CFL Agrobrite 18/6 cycle. Moved to SF 4000 LED 5X5 with exhaust and oscillating fan 18/6 cycle
TEMP: 73-80 degrees
HUMIDITY: 45-60 % veg/ 45-50 % flower

1 Like

It’s a controversial subject, there are those that swear by it and those that are against it. Best to make up your own mind on it. With multiple plants you could try it on one plant and leave the others alone and then at harvest time you’ll have the answer of which way worked out best for you in regards to bud size, density, and yield.

3 Likes

My plants before 2nd defoliation, week 2 of flowering

Plants after 2nd defoliation

Will be doing another defoliation this weekend.

5 Likes

I agree. You’ll always hear opposing ideas on this subject, because it’s not an exact science.
Personally, I feel like the plants know better, when it comes to deciding which leaves they keep, and which ones they don’t. The leaves are the engine for the plants growth. Removing them stunts this progression, to an extent.

:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed: this pains me. But ive seen the results. Its a divisive topic. But different strokes right?

Man that just seems soooo brutal. :joy:

1 Like

Just trimmed. My grow buddy came over and set things right. Plants are looking great after their “haircut.”

2 Likes

They will be fine. I think the big divide is indoor vs outdoor growing technique. It boils down to light penetration. Indoor lighting does not have the uniform light intensity of the sun, nor the penetrating strength. The sun is just as powerful at the top of the plant as it is at the bottom, which is not possible with the quickly diminishing light intensity from fixture to the floor. I believe this is where canopy thinning indoors is possibly warranted, whereas outdoors perhaps not so much. Even still, there is much to suggest that leaf stripping is a viable stress technique to induce a strong flowering response to ensure the plants genes are passed on? But I tend to think that Cannabis is a light hog and indoor lighting just doesnt have the same punch as solar power.

3 Likes

Yes, on my outdoor grows, I leave them alone except for topping to keep them shorter.

2 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

Update on the shade leaves off or on debate. For indoor, YES to get rid of them. I posted a whole bucket of the first trim and here is the second. Don’t be afraid to remove!! Pics on progress below. I’ll re-include the ticket here too bc wtfn?

STRAIN: Blue the f Dream bee hatch!!
MEDIUM: Super soil = HF/FFOF mixed with Neem, hydrocorn, kelp, superchar, worm castings (20% volume HF/FFOF). FF Strawberry Fields added at 5 gal. transplant
TOP DRESSING: Nature’s Pride veg/ Nature’s Pride Bloom
BLOOM: Seabird guano; 1 dose at first light cycle switch to 12/12
TEA: ½ cup Boogie Brew Base + ½ cup Boogie Boost
WATER: 1 tbs Liquid Seaweed/gal + 5 ml Blackstrap Molasses/gal OR Kelp meal 2 tbs/gal
POTTING: Red Solo - 3 gal. - 5 gal. “smart pots”
PH: 6.0
Run off PH: 5.8
LIGHTING: Originated in 2X2 tent with 125 W CFL Agrobrite 18/6 cycle. Moved to SF 4000 LED 5X5 with exhaust and oscillating fan 18/6 cycle veg. 12/12 cycle flower
TEMP: 73-80 degrees
HUMIDITY: 45-60 % veg/ 45-50 % flower

IMG_2689 IMG_2688 IMG_2691 IMG_2690 IMG_2687

1 Like