Setting up grow room

dont know if the pic shows up. this is my first grow ever…the ceiling height is only 70 inches the walls are concrete block, the ceiling in concrete. the floor is dirt……. just finished cleaning it out and hauling all the crap out yesterday. getting ready to paint it white not sure what to do about the dirt floor. I left work lights on all night to see if you can see them from outside. nope. just read to use mylar instead of mirrors. trying to figure out how to put lights up. dont know what to do about the dirt floor. so much to do, so much I DO NOT KNOW. any help would be appreciated thanks pat

1 Like

Put some panda film on the ground would be a cheap solution . Can’t really tell from the picture, what do you have overheard to attach your lights to?

1 Like

nothing!!! not sure if I should build a frame like for a swingset

There has to be something, is it just open, no roof?

it is the room below a poured porch so the ceiling is concrete

Do you have a hammer drill? Even a normal drill with a masonry bit would work enough to get a eye hook in.

2 Likes

just looked up panda film since I didn’t know what it was. that will work and it isn’t too much money thanks!!!

1 Like

we do have one! that answers that thanks so much

1 Like

I’d use masonry screws to put up some “rafters” to hang things from. I’d cover the dirt with some plywood or something to keep it from getting too dusty with the air circulation you’ll want for your plants. Not a full floor, but something. You have a blank slate to work with. If you take the time and a little money to make it right now, you’ll save yourself a lot of trouble down the road. Do lots of research so you know what you have ahead of you. Surprises can get expensive and kill your yield.

4 Likes

I thought about a grow tent. still deciding. the room is 7 ft wide by 21 ft long. I am short so the 70 inch ceiling doesn’t bother me. just started gluing up white Styrofoam insulation boards on the walls. watching videos and reading everything I can. my brain is starting to hurt. I tried to buy seeds with a credit card and it got blocked. I am glad it did. I was jumping in without thinking of all the work I need in the room before I ever start.

2 Likes

Yeah, just drill some holes and put anchors in concrete to attach your boards. Then you can hang lights from boards.

2 Likes

Being your first grow and not knowing what you have in mind going forward, a decent grow tent might be an excellent solution for you.

I agree with @elheffe702, you should put something down for flooring. A few pressure treated 2X4’s on edge and a couple sheets of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood (depends on spacing of 2X4’s) would give you a serviceable floor. I put my plants on casters so I can move them around and rotate them so a solid floor is a must for me.

3 Likes

I also was reading and wanted to say he should do a smaller tent first. Or at least pick a corner and build something 3x3x70

2 Likes

this info makes me want the tent. I dream big. baby steps first. thank you.

2 Likes

The tent is just more sealed. You would probably spend way more building it and then have to buy alot of.light to fill that room.

2 Likes

ok tent first. that makes more sense. a 21 foot room was going to take too many lights. thanks

1 Like

I’m of the mind I would rather do 3 plants with more then enough light then have to half arse that big of a room and have popcorn buds. Look at building a qb light.

1 Like

i saw the plans for them and that’s the lighting i am aiming for

1 Like

Look up @mattybears qb thread. You need to figure out how big its gonna be. That way you can calculate cost and parts. @dbrn32 is my lighting wizard. I know my first turning out well was mostly to my qb light I started with.

2 Likes

For the floor I would suggest building a platform that is sized for the tent you buy you’ll want to keep the tent out of the dirt and if any water from rain etc might get inside the platform will protect things and you’ll only loose 4” using 2x4 treated lumber and 1/2” to 3/4” plywood…
This is what I built for both my tents. It also insulates the floor from the cold ground keeping the pots soil and roots warmer.

1 Like