Setting up air cooled hood and fan

So I have a 4x4 tent. I purchased a iPower 600 Watt HPS MH Digital Dimmable Grow Light System Kits Air Cooled Reflector Hood Set. For a fan I have a AC Infinity CLOUDLINE S6 and for a carbon filter I have a AC Infinity Air Carbon Filter 6". My question is setting it all up. Can I hook the fan to the intake of the light and run the exit side out of the tent to the filter. Then I would just leave a hole open in the bottom of the tent to suck in fresh air. Does this sound correct? Thanks for all the help

2 Likes

Yep, you can do it that way, smell will become a problem as you go into flower but a filter can cure that. My tent has a 6" hole at both ends so I can pull fresh air in via ducting, pass it through my air cooled hood and out again without coming into contact with the air in the tent. Helps to manage heat as well

I go carbon filter-ducting- into light tube, ducting out of light tube- out of tent- into clouldline- ducting out of house

My carbon filter is my intake

3 Likes

@Hellraiser He runs a HPS system so he should be able to help you. :+1:

3 Likes

There’s basically 4 methods of setting up a ventilation system. This drawing doesn’t show an air-cooled HID fixture, but gives you an idea of the methods.

You can have the carbon filter on the intake or the exhaust, inside or outside the tent. The most common method is with the filter inside the tent, going:
carbon filter → HID fixture → exhaust fan
If you do it this way, put your carbon filter on the opposite side of the tent as the intake port in order to promote crossflow of air.
Here’s a quick diagram of how my HID tents are set up. You can ignore the intake fan in the drawing, as it shouldn’t apply to you.

1 Like

Thanks so much. I appreciate it

1 Like

@JohnM
I have one end of the light open with a in-line fan on the other end and a passive intake in the wall of the room. I suck air through the fixtures and vent outside the house. This creates a nice negative pressure in the room and that helps the passive intake draw in fresh air and keeps the smells from getting out

4 Likes

Nice setup!

1 Like

If you run a charcoal filter with air pushing through it that defeats purpose of pre filter and would drastically shorten its life. Always suck air through carbon filter.

3 Likes

I run air cooled fixtures in my veg room. I have my exhaust fan on outgoing side, pulling through 2 fixtures. I exhaust mine under the house to keep pipes warm in winter.

Here’s a simple tent setup with carbon filter, air cooled hood, ac infinity on top of tent

2 Likes

Is your fan inside the tent or outside?

Outside, sitting on top of the tent on a board supported by the tent poles.

2 Likes

Sounds good. Thank you

Hey guys quick question :smiley: I have my set up at the moment carbon filter - in-line fan - ducting pushing threw the air cooled hood and out of the house… so I think it’s pushing air threw the air cooler hood rather than sucking because I have my fan hooked on to the filter and than it’s going threw the air cooled hood last. My question is it more effective to have the carbon filter than ducting to the air cooled hood and finally the fan last sucking the air out?? I’m battelling high humidity in the tent and I’m thinking maybe this can help create more air pull maybe?? Any help would be appreciated… :smiley:

1 Like

Yes , run your second option…
Filter , hood , fan and outside…
Its alot easier on your equipment that way too… :+1:t3:
:v:t4: :sunglasses: