Setting up a grow room w/ questions

electrical providers don’t raise an eyebrow

Especially as winter starts.

1 Like

There decent tents, I have there 36x36x72 for 2years now. I grow 2 autos at a time in there.

1 Like

@HDD there are many mid level led light fixtures out there that offer good warranties and are good quality. Some are built with the same parts as the high end light companies use. You just have to do a little research to find the right ones for your budget. Watch out for the sales pitch bs especially the numbers in the lights name (***** 5000w) look for actual watts and efficiency ratings. Coco for cannabis has a ton of info on lighting different helpful calculators and light reviews. Lights are probably the most difficult part of starting your grow but it’s worth doing the work
Good luck and merry Christmas

1 Like

Sounds good, a tent it is!

Aside from the lighting, would you think this is an acceptable all-in-one starters kit? Amazon link
And out of curiosity, how bad would that specific light be for 3 plants growing? I’ll definitely have enough funds for a quality lighting after the first harvest for sure.

Also, how accurate is this image? For a 3x3 tent, how big would you allow the pot to get to?

Gosh, 5000w lighting? Trying to compete with the sun or something? Haha… But awesome, thanks @MeEasy , definitely check the info out!

@HDD that looks like a good enough starter kit. I don’t know why they would sell that light in a 4x4 tent kit other than to screw someone. You would need a minimum of 4 of those lights to cover 4x4. I’m all about budget but that must be a mistake to have that light in that kit.

1 Like

As for the picture I’m not getting it. 5000w was an example of what these companies try to pull off to trick you into thinking their products are something they’re not. My other favorite is topshelf parts, if there’s a difference in two parts it’s going to have a different part number or some identifying mark or letter on it what happens if you dropped 10 of each on your table. Even the light in the kit you linked says 1000 and it’s a 100w light. I really wish there was an industry requirement for LEDs and how they can describe them, they can literally tell you that their 3 cylinder kia can outrun a corvette throw any numbers on it to make you believe it could do it. To be honest even using watts to judge the output of a light is the wrong way because you can put 100w into a cheap led and get less actual light than the same 100w into a high quality led. That’s why I mentioned efficiency up there that’s the number to look at along with par ppfd , but it’s confusing for me to read much less explain it lol that coco site does a good job of explaining

1 Like

That light in that package seems a little weak imo.
If there is a upgrade for that light fixture I’d take it.

You need 400 true watts for dense buds.

In what context?

The Amazon link went to a 4x4 tent with a low powered light @KeystoneCops

Hi folks, dredging up an old thread here… been sponging throughout the forum mostly in the beginner threads just taking in this seemingly infinite pool of knowledge and through juggling ideas of attempting cramming in a auto outdoor season(I was waiting on Gold Leaf seeds to come, they just did two days ago!) or setting up something more official indoor, I’ve decided the latter is the better option. We just went legal in my location so it’s best to get something nice inside going. This has been an absolute dream of mine since my first gorilla grow nearly 20 yrs ago, was always just too afraid of the repercussions if I got pinched once I had my own kids in the picture. Now that it’s legal to grow here 100% game on and I’m incredibly stoked. Anywho… Ive decided I’m gonna set up a 4x4 up in my full walk-up attic. I’m almost dead set on HLG, unless someone can make a case for a more affordable equally performing LED. I was speaking to a rep yesterday and he suggested running 2 of the new 350r’s, I’m not sure if he was just trying to sell me the most expensive units or if they really are superior as compared to say the 600rspec or even two 260xl’s in a 4x4. There are some considerations such as tent hight(80”) and heat as I’ll be facing an uphill battle cooling the attic space with a window AC. If any LED gurus @dbrn32 or whomever else cares to chime in, it would be greatly appreciated, TIA!

1 Like

Hlg is quality product, at fair price/performance point, with excellent customer service. Two hlg-350r would be superior to both hlg-600r and two 260xl kits. They are more expensive, but not most expensive they offer.

To me, comes down to two major questions. If you are willing to assemble, and what you’re looking to do out of space? Two 260 xl kits would still be excellent in a 4x4, just not as much light or as efficient as newer rig. But would also save you about $300 over a pair of 350r’s.

Assuming your goal is to have as big of a quality harvest as possible, maybe an extra $300 isn’t that big of deal. But if you’re a little tight on funds, that extra $300 could get you a quality exhaust fan, filter, and probably a decent ph tester as well. Which are all things that are also important. Last time I looked 260xl kits were under $300 witj discount code, and plenty of people were happy to pay $100 more for them not long ago. And still use them for uber successful harvests. Going with 350r would open up your harvest your potential a few more ounces, but without much experience it would likely be a few grows down the line before that matters. And I can guarantee hlg will have bigger better light by then.

Also, I would absolutely drop one of those seeds for an outdoor grow if you are at least semi-interested. If you plan on growing in soil it won’t require much attention for a while. It will also get your feet wet while you are putting together equipment for indoor grow.

2 Likes

Sound advice, thank you! So if I were a gambling man I’d say you were leaning 350r’s? I plan on venting with passive intake using a T6 inline, clip fans and a window AC to cool the surrounding room. Forgive the novice question, I have a PH pen for water, Do I also need a soil PH tester as well? I’m growing in FFOF and top dressing with BAS craft blend. If I’m dialed in watering at 6.5, will a soil PH tester be necessary? Also PPM tester? Or is that more of a hydro tool? Thank you!

Leaning towards 260 xl kit, sorry.

Hey don’t be sorry, I misinterpreted… I’m not too electrically savvy, how difficult/fool proof is assembly? Does HLG sell assembled 260xl’s? And I’m not at all committed to the latest and greatest just trying to avoid a Larfy harvest as far as lighting is concerned. From what I’ve read and seen the 260xl can do the job for sure, just don’t want to purchase something that I’m itching to replace out of the gate. But let me reiterate, if the more affordable option, the 260xl’s can provide some dense flower(I realize there are many other factors that assist this result) I’m totally about it and I won’t care to upgrade really. A 4x4 is my maximum and once/if I dial in, I’m not gonna change it for a minute.

1 Like

Two years ago two 260 xl kits was about as good as you could get.

Hlg doesn’t assemble to my knowledge. Growerslights did at one point, but I haven’t seen or heard in a while. They aren’t two difficult to get together though. I think screwdriver and wire strippers are all that is required for tools, and there is probably a few videos on YouTube. If you have the time, I would watch a couple.

1 Like

I think I’m sold man, you just can’t beat that value. Two 260xl’s! Thanks for the help…

1 Like

No problem. Check those videos out. If you need help when they come in, tag me.

Use a 8’x4’ flood table. Put 2 1000w HPS on either end of the table and 1 spider farmer 4000 in the middle of them. Use the 8” air cooled xxl hoods for the hps and hortilux super HPS bulbs.