Semi snapped stem

Hello,
Unfortunately the centre stem split , not entirely, but since then the leaves have curled down, I’m not sure if that’s from overwatering or if this plant is just now doomed,
Any advice ? I’ve zip tied it back together but doesn’t look too great, leaves are not yellowing but definitely curling .

2 Likes

Keep it tied as tight as you can and she should be fine. If you can maybe also support the 2 branches up higher and take strain off the split.

3 Likes

Thanks, do you think the wilting leaves is possibly from the stress of the split? Should I leave it for a couple days or keep watering as usual?

1 Like

Been thier done that! Just harvested a pound from her.

2 Likes

Uploading: image.jpg…

Not sure about the leaves but watch her and let her heal.

1 Like

Honey in the wound and zip ties instead of twist ties…
Incidentally, I’ve noticed such accidents to cause early onsets of heavy trichome development

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve done zip ties , tape etc . Nothing wrong with a split branch from time to time…. Look up stem splitting you will see a lot of people do this on purpose

1 Like

If it has any connecting tissue it can survive. I didn’t know I broke this stem as badly as I later found out when cutting her down

I marked the bud this badly damaged stem produced

It was much smaller than the other colas but still worth keeping.

Honey helps seal the exposed wound. It may attract ants. Aloe vera can also be used. In either case, try to compress the split together and protect it. Stretch gardener’s tape is great. Even electrician’s tape.
The plant will show some die back. The flow from the roots to the plant has been disturbed. Prune off what dies and it will be fine.

4 Likes

I’m on team honey in the split (I usually use makuna honey, it’s good for wounds on animals, so why not plants?) but I like to wrap the wound with vet tape, which only sticks to itself.

I’ve split a couple of stems by now, but haven’t lost any part of a plant (yet). I even knocked a branch off one of my LSD autos, and ended up growing a little one ounce clone from it. Pretty hardy plant, cannabis is.

1 Like

Recommend using cloth tape for longer splint (supports plant w/o cutting/restricting stalk).
Second stake for opposite side of stalk support, may also benefit.

Thanks guys,

It’s the main stem , the issue is the leaves are so wilted now compared to what they were like before, I had thought it was from over watering, but left it a couple days and got worse, do you think leaf curl could potentially be from the stress of the stem split ? The stem had split for numerous days before I realized and had already started to heal over .

I’d use aloe on a split and then black electric tape to close it up with. I like that tape is flexible because there will be a knot forming there soon once she’s closed back up.

1 Like