Semi Newbie with Unusual grow room dimensions

Greetings to all…
Long time lurker but first post so my apologies if I do something wrong.
My grow area is a side room of a garage and it’s 8’W x 2.67’ D x 7’ H
I intend on using only 6’ x 2.67’ x 7’ as the canopy area (2’ for fans heat etc)
I was using a borrowed 1000w HPS that the owner wants back so I am fixing to buy new lighting with a budget of $400
I was ready to pull the trigger on 2 each 315w CMH lights with Philips 3100K bulbs which will be right at the $400 budget.
But I figured why not ask all you fine folks for your opinions. I know there is much deserved love of HLG QB and I would love to get them but can’t meet the budget. I think I could build one with the help of the lightning guru @dbrn32 but with the weird shape of the room not sure what to do. I appreciate any and all comments questions.
Thanks in advance
@Countryboyjvd1971

4 Likes

Your posting is fine. Help will be with you shortly. I’m a newbie, but know that these folks are really helpful.

Thanks Jimmy Beam. This forum is very helpful… I’ve learned much from everyone’s experience

You’ll need around 500-600watts of quality cob/led/QB light for a 6’x2.6’ grow space. The design part is fairly easy, but I don’t think you’ll be able to diy it for $400.
The cheapest I’ve been able to diy is close to $1/watt.

There’s nothing wrong with cmh lights. If you can deal with the heat, larger fixtures, and less efficiency they’re are great way to go for the $$

That being said, dbrn32 will have the best answer.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply
I’m not concerned too much about heat as it’s helpful in the cold days and a bit of an issue in the heat of summer but I can work around that I think.
If my budget was larger I would go QB but just old folks try to get some cheaper (and better) medicine

4 Likes

Too big to diy properly on that budget. Usual spend $600+ for a 4x4 that’s 16 square feet, You’re over 20 square feet. If you can get two 315’s with Phillips bulbs I’d probably do that. It’s still gonna leave you a little weak on light intensity though.

Thanks @dbrn32
I was figuring on using 2.67 x 6 = 16.02 Sq ft as 2 of the 8 ft will be used for fans, ducts, heat etc. I also thought that flowering footprint would be a little weak. I couldn’t find a way to get the QB at the price and I thought CMH would be the next best thing…

Yup, they’re good but not cheap…closet light i could figure on diy would likely run you $500 or so. If you’re only gonna run 6’ hang a reflective curtain or something so you don’t have light spill into the area you’re not growing in.

1 Like

I’ve got the room lined with reflective insulation boards… I’ll see if I can fix something for the short side

1 Like

What about some T5s?

I have been using cmh/chps for a few years now and I love them

3 Likes

I have 2 54w t5 for germination and seedling in my bedroom… I’m sure they would work but feel better about CMH

Probably need several of them that size, but the long narrow footprint would fit nice.

I also use t5’s for seedlings and clones

i think…
HPS, T5 HO, Blurple LED = 50-60 wpsf
315w CMH, 1000w DE = 40-50 wpsf
QB, COB = 30-40 wpsf

2’ 8" x 6’ = 16 sq ft
16 x 40-50 = 640-800 wpsf, 2x 315 CMH (630w) would do great.!
16 x 30-40 = 480-640 wpsf of QB, 2x HLG 260 XW QB (520w) would do awesome.!!
https://growerslights.com/collections/horticulture-lighting-group/products/horticulture-lighting-group-260-watt-xw-quantum-board-led-kit
the cost over a 5 year period is about the same when u factor in the overhead
(bulbs, electricity, cooling, happiness of the grower, lol)

1 Like

You could probably build a decent QB light for that space for $450, a little less if you have framing materials already. 8 QB134s will run about $260 with shipping, 2 drivers for $130. 2 power cords, 10 wagos, and 25’ 18awg 300v solid wire for $25. That leaves $35 for framing, maybe shorting it a bit, but it’s close. A QB134 is good for 2 sq ft and can be bought in packs of 4 from HLG. I just built one for my 2x4 for about $225, but I didnt have to buy a power cord, wagos, or wire, which i had left over froim a prior build.

@CJ8380 welcome to the forum
I use a 630 CMH set up on a light mover and love the set up
I have two rooms set up so I veg under LED and flower under the CMH and love the results the biggest benefit to using CMH is the UV that you’ll get from the bulbs which is linked to tricombe production

Also if your garage get cool in winter you can recover some heat
They do produce a decent amount so summer you need to consider that
Depending on what region your in
I have heat and ac available in my grow rooms
Having proper exhaust and intake set up will be important as well if using the CMH

2 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971 When the CMH was mentioned, I was going to tag either you or @Hogmaster but I couldn’t remember which of you was which…again :joy:

2 Likes

Lmfao either way would have worked @elheffe702 we both use them :+1:

2 Likes

@SlowOldGuy
I totally agree with you about ROI and efficiency of the QB But if the money isn’t there…I’ll just have to settle for Do Good…
Guess I should rename myself BrokeOldGuy lol

@Sixpackdad
I thought I had seen you talking about your build and again I agree but I will wait to build one later as I’m sure I’ll need more…
@Countryboyjvd1971
I knew you had CMH so the reason for the original tag…
I’m in Tennessee so I will be able to use the heat in the winter and can work around the warmer days as my ventilation is good and hopefully it will get better…
@elheffe702 I appreciate your help
Thanks to all for your help and input.
This forum is the best thing I’ve found.
I pulled the trigger on the CMH
Got 2 Vivosun units and 2 3100K Phillips bulbs for about $360 total

4 Likes