Selfwatering Containers

So, autopots, octopots, gro-buckets, and such are basically just forms of selfwatering systems? The autopots use aeration (air stones), while the others don’t?

I’ve made self watering containers for tomatoes, peppers, carrots, and onions. These were outside in a greenhouse. No aeration. I made them using rubbermade totes, with a plastic platform (made from the lid) held up by pvc pipes; the wicks were plastic cups with holes drilled into them; I made pvc fill pipes with little cork/stick floats.

I’m wondering if I can build the same thing in a 5 gallon bucket , but add an air pump. I have everything on hand to make it, so it would not cost a single penny. Good experiment for one plant, right? Wouldn’t start the experiment for another month or so.

What do you all think?

2 Likes

I have an entire book on organic gardening in self-watering containers. If I can apply everything I learned from that (and my gardening with them outdoors) with growing weed, I could become an ok grower.

1 Like

I’ve made exactly what your talking about… let me see if I have any pics… they work extremely well… I’ve grown trees with them… :grin:
Well all my pics of them were on an old phone , so I went and took more for you …:grin:
My wife uses them for all her veggies now…
I do have a patent pending on them currently… :wink:

Anyway here you go… these are self watering… notice the overflow on the 5 gallon bucket… that’s crucial as to not overwater… black bucket is a 3 gallon … PVC pipe is 1 1/2 diameter for easy filling… the blue wick cup is also key … in its size is critical also… you :wink:

@blackthumbbetty :grin:

:v::sunglasses:

6 Likes

Exactly! That’s wonderful! 48

1 Like

It holds about 2 gallons of water and can usually go 1 week between fillings… :wink:

2 Likes

Peachfuzz has a really good system.

My Friend uses something similar but simpler. 5 gallon black buckets with black lids, air pump bubbling in the bucket.
He has two diff types of lids…one is custom cut for two 2" cage pots, the other is cut for a 6" cage. The 1/4" aquarium tubing goes tru a hole in the top and runs a 6" flat air stone. He seems to do well with it. Fast healthy growth. Simple but PH n PPM have to be checked daily.

This is a hybrid dwc and soil grow… :wink: young grasshopper… :grin:
I run strictly rdwc now , but had huge success in what @blackthumbbetty is looking into… @tanlover442 you will learn some day young grasshopper , that there is always more ways to skin a cat… :wink:
But good results is all that matters… :wink:
This is a very good and efficient way of growing… :wink:

@peachfuzz I’m going to try this, using promix & earth juice. Per my organic self-watering container book, there’s no mention of airstones or anything, so I don’t think I’ll worry about that…as of now. The book also recommends adding organic liquid nutes from above, rather than in the reservoir (leaving runoff in reservoir). Do you do organic nutes? I aerate my nute solution for 24-48 hours before using, anyway, so roots should get plenty of oxygen.

Already made the holes for the wicks & drilled holes in the wicks. Tomorrow, I’m going to cover my outer bucket with either black tape or spray paint, to make it light proof. Need to figure out what size I want to use for fill pipe, out of the stuff laying around the house, then drill a hole & cut the piece I need.

My next grow, I’m going to try it on one plant. Haven’t decided which one.

2 Likes

Great idea for outdoor growing.

I’m doing this indoors, this time. With an airstone…maybe.

@GreenThunder

I’m going to make one of these buckets & maybe add an air stone, for my next grow. Only one plant out of seven will be grown this way. 100% free, made from items I have around the house.

3 Likes

That’s soooooo cool!! Thanks for tagging me in :sunglasses: I’d love to see what you put together. I’m excited about this hybrid :woman_farmer:

1 Like

Is the inner bucket 5 gallon or 3? And what is the purpose of the hole in the side of the outer bucket?

And what is this unit?

1 Like

That gro-bucket thing reminded me of making a self-watering container. Then I came here to post & peachfuzz had a great design!

I was planning on trying something like this, but thought I’d have to purchase all sorts of stuff. Turns out, I don’t have to buy anything!

Now…I just have to wait several weeks to start my next grow.

1 Like

@greenthunder The outer bucket hole is an overflow hole. He used a 5 gallon & a 3 gallon; I’m using 2 5 gallon litter buckets (will allow for a 2 gallon reservoir).

The blue cup with holes is the wick. It gets filled with soil & is in the reservoir; it sucks the solution in the reservoir up to the plants. I will have 2 wicks in mine (using butter tubs).

2 Likes

Now you got me wanting to make one :wink: The octopot includes a reservoir… maybe an under-the-bed tote? Instead of an outer bucket, for more water volume? :thinking:

2 Likes

Like one of those flat sterilite boxes? That would be quite a reservoir!

Seriously though, isn’t this so easy & cheap to make? The possibilities are endless.

2 Likes

Something like that, I’ll be on the lookout for just the right thing. (I think) the octopot says their res holds 3 gallons and I think that’s a good size. Any bigger might cause issues. The main thing seems to be water surface area.

1 Like

The bucket definitely provides less water surface area than the octopot.

I used to make these out of big rubbermade totes. One tomato plant per tote.

If we both make different ones, it’ll be fun to compare how they work.

1 Like

I have the bucket inserts on the way already, and they will be used for autos in the closet.
BUT I also want to diy one with a res… so I think we’ll be able to compare one way or the other. FUN!! :sunglasses:
Do you think we would do the same strain too? That’s if we both have the same of something…

1 Like