Selecting best strains by price

Hi there, I am in NZ, where it is very difficult receiving successful order deliveries. I have shared some orders with a ‘friend’ and the success rate has been patchy and disappointing, however we tried Robert and ILGM, and they came through for us, it did take a second re-send to make it, i.e. a 3rd delivery. So as far as we are concerned, top marks to ILGM, no question, hats off to you guys!

My question is more related to ILGM strains for sale. So often I have read that it is worth paying for great genetics, and the offerings of ILGM have many many great names amongst them, and hopefully pretty excellent/great genetics too. Me and my friend want to order again, ideally several times and both build up a ‘personal seed bank’ from which to select from when it comes to future planting. I like the 10+10 specials, so far we have got ‘Premium’ mixed pack and a 10+10 for Gorilla Glue Auto, which both of us we have planted the GGa which are now at day 33, they’re showing pistils and looking great. But back to the seeds on offer, I am used to thinking that the more you have to pay the higher the quality will be. Price wise the ‘top’ level at ILGM is USD$109 for 5 seeds. Yet there are lots of fantastic/legendary names on lower price levels below them. By choosing from the highest price level for seeds am I choosing best genetics that way? With there being so many seeds out there, from different sources yet sharing the same names, I just want to choose the best genetics. Is the price in this case the best way to put the best genetics into a subset?
Surely their prices aren’t a reflection on scarcity. I am assuming they’re successfully churning out great quality seeds to whatever the demand is. Does anyone know or can anyone make a guess, as to what the main factor is that determines the highest price level for ILGM seeds? I want to order more, but I most want to order strains that have the best genetics, help me choose please! Many thanks in advance. :pray:

2 Likes

That’s a tough one. My guess is that pricing is set by popularity.

I imagine ILGM has a network of growers with clone only strains and they are taking one of those clones and forcing male flowers, so yes they can pump out seeds by demand.

I grew Afghani, one of the cheaper strains, and it was dank real Afghani. I also grew gorilla glue and it was more potent and more expensive.

But, I imagine that in the “market” gorilla glue herb sells better than Afghani because it’s more popular.

1 Like

I have done quite a few ilgm strains and all of them have done great my favorite way to buy seeds is the mixed packs that way you can try a variety of strains and dollar for dollar they are a great deal. Once you have a nice plant growing you can take cuttings if you want a bunch of plants from that strain

1 Like

One difference is seedlings. So far ALL of my seeds from ILGM have given me very healthy youngsters. I have had other companies seeds come up skinny and slow. Of course how you pop em and drop em and grow medium make a huge difference. So far, all my ILGM youngsters always look like this baby banana kush. This is their most potent thc strain.

4 Likes

Banana Kush sounds really great, on specs it is one of the most potent and presumably close to the top of the list for desirable choices, but cost wise it is in a lower price band. I love the selection of offer and I just want to choose from the best ones, as much as I would like to select them all!

1 Like

I’ll let u know after I smoke some. lol I o know the Gorilla Glue is exactly how they describe it. I really like that strain too, in ILGM auto gg4 has good cbd ratio too. Good middle of the road high, no paranoia even at a decent thc level. All my peeps I’ve shared with have been impressed with both the Auto GG4 and their Photo GG4. Good yields too.

1 Like

What makes the strains popular is an interesting question. Mostly I presume it is potency, as in THC, however there is some body of opinion who find particular strains, like Jack Herer which may not be especially strong in THC but yet provide some other sort of ‘x’ factor which causes them to rank it highly. I can see the benefit for a variety of strains, each with it’s forte. Amongst that variety I would like to find a strain that gives, what a friend and I refer to, as an ‘astral travel’ type experience. We still have several ILGM strains that we haven’t grown out yet but from the looks of our Gorilla Glue Autos we are keen to get some more when sales are on. Are there any in particular that you were really taken with, or even ones you haven’t tried but are strongly considering?

Cheers.

1 Like

Hi, Amongst those ILGM strains that you have tried, did you find the resulting smoke quality pretty similar or was there 1 or 2 standout strains? I ask because so many or probably all of them look really good, and I imagine are really good, but are their some that take it to a far better level?

Cheers

I grew jack h and white widow. I made every mistake a noob can make and I dont know what I did wrong but nobody liked my jack h they said the high was tooo much! I didn’t even like it. all loved the white widow as did I. I cant imagine that there is a thing as too much THC but whatever I did I dont want to do it again

My ILGM Gorilla Glue Auto is currently 34 days old are going great. My first auto so all new to me. I am LST’ing mine, trained the mainstem out to the rim of the pot, my friend who is also growing the same, his has longer internodal distances than mine and his at 34days is nearly 70cm tall. Mine might have one more node pair than his, maybe training it horizontal caused the node distances to tighten? I don’t know. But anyway I am really interested to see how this develops and hope of course I don’t screw it up somehow. How tall did your Gorilla Glue Auto plants get? How many days or weeks roundabout was the seed to harvest? And roughly what was the dry herb yield you got?

Cheers

Wow, that’s interesting. Do you think it was all down to the potency of it? Or was there some reason that everyone disliked it?

Cheers

1 Like

they said they just kept getting higher and couldn’t move. one guy accused it of being laced

I forgot to ask also, of the ILGM strains that you’ve tried, have there been some real standouts?

Cheers

Thanks funny, and I have heard of those experiences and had them too, but I think for bud that produces that type of high it probably is not great for general socializing, more a personal astral travel type thing, but still something to have on the top shelf when you want it. Do you remember the breeder of it? Was there anything that happened in the grow that could explain such an extreme result?

1 Like

iglm seed jack h. all the fox farm soils and nutes cal mag. then comes me the list of things I did wrong it is pretty long. I had to move my plants in the middle of the grow and I thought they were dead. I vegged for 15 weeks etc! I am trying it again and added ice cream cake to the mix so we will see how it goes this time. I chose mine for pain managment and got extreme couch lock. my husband said his face was numb from one hit. we aren’t heavy smokers so we thought it was just us at first

In some ways it is great you got a result like this. If you’re using it for edibles then you can take a smaller dose, more tricky if smoking/vaping it.
Maybe it was amazing genetics or the phenotype you got, or maybe you somehow did something that caused that result, great stuff! :+1:

1 Like

I think the strain that stood out the most so far that I have grown was cherry pie from the baked sweets mix pack. I grow for family I don’t personally smoke so I am going by how many people want me to grow that again . The girl scout cookies extreme also got good reviews

3 Likes

It’s the trendy aspect and bag appeal. Cookies strains and cake strains are popular.

I’ve heard several breeders talking about how if you want to appeal to the young consumers, bag appeal is a huge factor for this upcoming generation of smokers.

1 Like

My GG autos got about 36 inches. But you gotta watch them stretching or it will give you airy buds. They grow so fast that they won’t produce enough flowers to keep up with their stretch sometimes. I let them all go 10-11 weeks from breaking the dirt. Some go longer. I could have gone another week or two but wanted to get my photos rolling so I cut. The budz were ready by week 10, but I have heard others ride it longer using a 12-12 light schedule after flowering. I kept them on 20-4 the whole time. Next time I do autos, I plan to run em as photos and see how it goes. Some here get some better weight on 12-12 flowering.

My dry weight ranged from 1.5-3 oz. So my first girl was my smallest. Learned how to get more dialed in and was able to get 3 oz dry out of my last girl. I still prefer the photos. I can get 5-10 times the weight from ILGM photo seeds so far.

3 Likes

Couldn’t it have just been genetics? Each seed is an individual so you are dealing with that when comparing weights, potency, growth, etc.

3 Likes