Seeking advice for nutrients and what to test for

Lol What do I use to raise and lower the salinity of my water? What should it be for my plants I see 13 ppm?

What they mean is many elements like calcium exist as salts, they have a charge, ions, buncha chemistry stuff. Not salinity like sodium content (but that could be there too).
So all the minerals in your water will make it conduct electricity. The EC or PPM meters measure that and tell you how much mineral salts are in your liquid.

And it’s useful for two reasons I know, if you test runoff of what washes through your soil, you get an idea of the quantity of mineral salts in there.
If you mix nutes and water, it would be tested to see what you’re putting in.

2 Likes

To raise and lower your water or {nutrients} you can use Ph up or Ph down.

Jay I did order an EC meter from Amazon. It should be here by Friday. What are my target levels for my nutrients and then for my runoff?

1 Like

I think you caught up with me… Yet to use mine properly :laughing: but pH runoff would be nice to see mid 6’s
@Freebirdmikes knows well, can ya help us out

I have my pH levels right around 6.5. I’m wondering about the EC levels

@Hashtonbutcher too he’s ahead of me on that stuff

Thanks for the tag brother. If you’re growing in soil it’s recommended that ph stay around 6.5. If it shows anywhere in the 6’s mix your next water a few points lower if it’s above 6.5 or a few points higher if it’s below 6.5 here’s a helpful availability chart for you.

If you’re in coco or hydro……. I won’t be of much help.

@DarthLink86

For soil the ppm runoff will vary dramatically, new soil is upwards of 4000 ppm in the beginning and I try to get it below 1000 ppm before harvest. Don’t let these high numbers scare you. Wait till your runoff reads 1300 or less before beginning any feeding. Usually like 4-5 weeks with the FFOF I regularly use.

2 Likes

Freebird thank you SOOOO much for the epic info and support. You have just helped me vastly improve my grow. There is so much to learn but people like you make it very enjoyable :pray::peace_symbol::potted_plant::fire::dash:

PS what is FFOF?

2 Likes

FoxFarm Ocean Forest

2 Likes

Fox Farm Ocean Forest. That’s been my go to soil for almost as long as I’ve been growing! Mostly outdoor however.

• I add natural pumice that I source from an old abandoned pumice mine, at a rate of 15%-20% to the new soil.
  • I add Fox Farm happy frog jump starter dry amendments at a rate of 1 heaping Tbsp/gallon of soil
  • Mycorrhizal fungus is a must!! Having a good microbe population is also essential. While the soil and the dry amendments do contain both, I like to use TPS billions.
  • I apply it (TPS billions) directly to the roots every time I transplant… - Even when I drop the seed with taproot into solo cups
  • I also add it (TPS billions) to every other water/feed cycle. Doing this helps maintain microbial life in the soil.
1 Like

I did some heavy pruning on one of the girls this morning. She was bushin out. I have not watered the girls in over three days. I had a bit of a mishap with reading my deep read moisture meter. It was on ph setting not moisture smh live and learn. Hoping to resume light watering tomorrow to introduce some nutes but I think they look fairly healthy. There are a few brown tips that I read as zinc deficiency which I presume is a result of my over watering…

Problem child…

Sisters

Did I prune too much?

Close up… Problem child

Close up #2 see brown tips…

Thanks y’all have an awesome day!

1 Like