Seeking Accurate Humidity and Temperature Meters

Wasn’t sure where to post this, but thought it was important to share. Lesson I take away… verify your equipment for accuracy. The 3 meters pictured below do not match, sitting on the kitchen counter for half an hour now, still not syncing. The first and second meters arrived this morning, the 3rd meter is what I’ve been using since August (it was in with my seed dome). I have removed the battery from each device, and the numbers are still out of whack… Wow… just fricken wow… I know I can get my money back from Amazon, but all I really want is accurate equipment. Any suggestions out there? thanks

1 Like

happy to update that the meters have stabilized. Temp is still 2 degrees different on one device, but humidity levels are within 5% of each other.

1 Like

I switch out my clone yemo gauge because eventually the humidity sinks into the gauge and gives an inaccurate reading. So I set them out to dry out any tetained moisture for a day and put them back in.

not sure what a yemo gauge is, but one would expect that a humidity meter would be sealed pretty good… I think you’re on to something though… the meter with the highest humidity level had been pulled from my seed dome, could be that it is indeed leaking, or that it just took a really long time for the moisture on the device to dissipate… 'sall good now though thanks

1 Like

The common RH meter uses an hydroscopic polymer that changes resistance as it adsorbs water. This necessitates exposing it to ambient conditions and depending on the size of the detector can take some time to move (hysteresis). The important term in RH is RELATIVE : this is a figure dependent on temperature and fluxuates depending. It is NOT an accurate means of determining the moisture content of the air volume. It should always be taken with a grain of salt. And, frankly it’s not necessary to be all that accurate. You want to know if it’s moist or dry, basically.

I designed, patented, and sold a passive humidifier for the cigar industry (the only 90% percent rating in Cigar Aficionado!) so have some idea of what I’m talking about.

6 Likes

The pic above was taken at least 30 min after removing meter from seedling dome. I assumed incorrectly that it had enough time to adjust. Went out for a few hrs, came back, it had finally adjusted. Love the smell of cigars coming out of a humidor. Could a humidor be used for the curing stage? Would be costly of course, but if one had a really favorite strain and wanted to max out the taste, it’d be worth it

1 Like

I thing the Spanish Cedar would be an issue.

@Willd uses ceramic humidors (pipe tobacco) which is more appropriate for flower. I haven’t had a cigar since my brother and I shared a Padron “Millenium” cigar back around 2002. I did the humidifier for their project and insisted I get one cigar out of the deal lol.

1 Like

cool, thanks… might look into that, the ceramic humidor

1 Like

I think he found them on the Bay of E.

the problem is… u got Acurite meters instead of accurate meters.!! LOL.!!!

good thinking to compare them,
it is a good idea to check our thermometers once or twice a year,
+/- 2 is good and we could live with +/- 3 or 4, any more then that and its a bad meter.

good practice to check timers at least once a week.!

@Stryder1961
These are great for montering remotely, not sure if it’s what you’re looking for.

SensorPush Wireless Thermometer/Hygrometer for iPhone/Android - Humidity & Temperature Smart Sensor with Alerts

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AEQ9X9I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jU0eCbD1AKT8G

2 Likes

@Covertgrower thanks for the tip. My meters have sync’d close enough, but I’m wondering about the one you sent a link for. Will the sensor fit inside a cure jar? I saw one similar setup, with 3 remote sensors, and I’m thinking I could drop them into the cure jar to monitor my humidity levels remotely

1 Like

@Stryder1961 yes they will absolutely will fit in a cure jar. It’s a little bigger than a quarter, but square.
More sensors can be added, and checked simultaneously. All can be custom labeled.

1 Like

Oh I am liking that thank you

1 Like

@discobot start new user