Seeds won’t sprout

Hi I recently just purchased the USA mix pack and I germinated one mowie wowie seed and after 3 days between paper towels it finally sprouted. I then planted in a jiffy seed pellet and I’ve had it under a light for 16-18 hours a day and after a week it still has not shown any sign of it sprouting. If someone could please help me understand why it isn’t working I’d really appreciate it. Thank you!

2 Likes

As someone who just had trouble with their 1st seeds (1 out of 3 for 1st attempt) my method is a 15% hydrogen peroxide soak(1/2C water 1.5tsp of pyroxide) for 12 hours pour that same solution on a paper towel just until slightly damp fold your seed into it put it into a quart baggie hide it under a bowl for total darkness for 24 hours and I got 2/2 successes for that each with a half inch tap root

2 Likes

Honestly i have no luck with the peet pellets. I put a seed in a rapid rooter and one in a pellet and it sprouted in two days in the rapid rooter. It never came up in the pellet. I think the pellets just hold to much water. Try the rapid rooters! Just my opinion! Happy growing :seedling:

2 Likes

@Tfitz I personally will not use jiffy pellets and jiff pots again. On the pellet, if you carefully remove the netting around the pellets b4 transplanting, you might be ok. I went from pellet to 6" jiffy pot. Roots never broke through the pot. Found this out after after harvesting. I have had real good experience in popping seeds by soaking in hydrogen peroxide (just a splash) and water. Let it soak 12-18 hours. You don’t want to drown them. Then place in damp paper towel and keep in a dry dark area. Mine usually pop between 18-24 hours. Transplant into what ever the next size pot you are going to use. When sprouting photos I use 16oz solo cups with holes in bottom and sides. Use a sprayer and keep soil damp. Not wet… place a baggy over cup. Should sprout in about 3 days.
Tag me and follow along on my next grow. My first attempt with Gorilla Glue autos.

2 Likes

I got the seed to pop with a little taproot but it just wouldn’t sprout when I transplanted it in the pellet It’s been a week and still no sign of it sprouting is there anything I can do to help it break through the soil.

1 Like

If it were me at this point I would probably try to dig gently and see what’s going on. Since it already germinated it should of broke ground already but, it’s your call!

I just gently dug up the seed and it look like it just died the taproot is gone. I’m going to try a new seed today once it’s root appears should I take the netting off and try and plant it a pellet again I bought a 16 pack of those pellets.

This is the set up I currently have I just want to make sure I have everything I need to grow a healthy plant.

I think people overcomplicate things with seedlings. Soak it in water for 24 hours and plant it half an inch deep in whatever medium you are using. Bet it works out for ya. I am 23-24 so far with this method.

3 Likes

I agree that the pellets hold too much water. I have used them with good success but removing most of the water is key.
Set them on a folded up dry paper towel and let it wick away the majority of the water.
The pellet should be damp but not wet. I finally have just switched to @Eagles009 method. Soak it 24 hrs, plant it in its final home and in a couple days all is good. Simple.

3 Likes

I am thinking about getting a different potting soil could I use Miracle-Gro potting soil?

It’s not recommended because of time release fertilizers present within it. I highly recommend this cheap stuff I got at Walmart ( promix potting mix comes in a red 2 cub. Ft. Pack my girls love the stuff. You can look at my journal to see how they’ve taken to it “if I can keep them alive so can you.”) if you want just regular potting mix. There are options more tailored to cannabis that other people here can tell you about.

1 Like

Miracle No!

3 Likes

Ima straight to soil kinda fellow so don’t mess with none of those pellets. Try to find yourself an amended soil or what they call super soil. It will have everything you need plus you’re gonna want some aeration in the soil to avoid the inevitable over watering.

1 Like

Best method papel towel and ziplock—
( unless you have some top feeding system )
If you never grown stuff before you are going to kill some in the process, being to harsh on the roots or planted too deep , not good soil , overwatering, maybe try to watch more videos read and try sprouting other seed of vegetables or fruits , if you never done gardening there is going to be a big wall at the beginning , but don’t give up just correct your mistakes .

Hey @Eagles009,
I discovered the promix at walmart just recently myself.
The seedlings seem to do really well in it.
I may try a whole grow in it before long.

1 Like

Mine loving life in the stuff at one month old…I have been feeding of course.

2 Likes

I have a Granddady Purple in a solo cup with the promix. 2.5 weeks old and no food yet. Growing just fine.
Im impressed with the stuff.

1 Like

You will prob need to feed it soon or maybe I jumped the gun…never did see any deficiencies

1 Like

Hi, not trying to hijack your post Tfitz, but im also having sprout issues. Im using 3prts peatmoss, 2 parts compost, 1 prt perlite, 1pt vermiculite in 5 gal. Growing Autoseeds Diesel Berry Autoower. I popped 2 seeds a week ago, got a good taproot, put it in soil, and have been only watering via spray mist. Going on 5 days now. Im using a 1000w LED in a 4X7 room with a sloping height from 7ft to roughly 8ft.

I went ahead popped the other 3 seeds and they were put into soil 48hours ago roughly.

One of my first two, is doing the best, the second one hadnt broke dirt so I uncovered him a bit, and shes just kind of laying there…

Maybe its just bc i have the first time jitters or something, but i feel its slow going.

1 Like