Seeds won’t pop / germinate

Don’t understand it… first seed I used (accidentally killed when I moved it) popped it’s tail no problem. Same method on 4 other seeds, no go. Since the first one worked using same method, I’m assuming 80% of batch will fail. First time grower, is this normal for auto white widow?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
What was your process?

3 Likes

ILGM has video instruction for seed germinating, it works.
Good water, paper towel (or cotton cloth) covered method also works.
Seed in ground outdoors- too early for seeds in Zone 8
Seeds in dirt cup, method works if grower sets conditions correct.
Suggest you find a few (2-4) clones while you work out germination techniques.
Good luck

3 Likes

welcome to the community.

1 Like

Using distilled water, letting them soak for 24hrs

Removed and quit using plastic baggies

.Seedling plastic dome added 4-8-2022
Seedling mat with 6-inch plastic dome has helped germinate a few seeds left for dead.

Thrilled it will support growing activity (seedling germination and clone starting activity).

1 Like

Did you expect a root at that point?
I have had two seeds out of a lot of seeds sprout a tail in 24hrs. After the initial soak either plant or go to a damp paper towel. 3 to 5 days is average to pop. Could even be 7 to 10 days to see it sprout a tail. Sometimes you do get a seed that wont germ. It happens.
If there was more to your process let me know.

4 Likes

I give seed germination multiple chances. 2-5 days not unusual.
Good “fresh” seeds will split and reveal white forming tail.
I have had some old seeds 10-yrs. Still trying to germinate, hope, hope.
Change water often.
Tried Hot water once (110-degrees), not again (seeds exploded to mush).

Too early for soil planting, unless germination seedling pad with dome available. Tail needs half inch exposure and then dirt needed for sure. ILGM has documentation available.

1 Like

I pop them in soil after soaking 18 hrs or so.
Works fine, but we all have our methods.

1 Like

yes we do, i just leave mine in a cup of water until it pops. it take 24 to 72 hours for me

4 Likes

Honestly, I expected the root would follow in a day or two. Oblivious or contrary to local outdoor planting guides, I placed many split seed or seedlings emerging, outside. Satisfied they would be really slow growing, to my horror, shock and fortunate realization, my seedlings do not like PNW spring outdoors. The forty-degree weather, rain, morning fog, or dew that never dries, killed many. I rescued survivors and they love the tent life.

1 Like

ILGM and local supplier seeds germinated well. OLD improperly stored 7-year seeds, not so well.

I have been having pretty good luck, I soak in a empty script bottle until they are on the bottom, then I put them in the wet paper towel like others mentioned. I use a take out dish and sit it on my router for warmth I Just started doing this learned it here. My picture for example is the seeds on the right are purchased seeds that I had 4 out of 8 pop so I’m still trying the left side is a bunch that I had collected from my first run in which my Purple Haze went Hermie and seeded all of my others. I was very green so I didn’t know what I was looking at but any ways I collected a bunch of seeds from that adventure so I thought I would see what happens. These soaked over night and then in the dish on the router, 7hr’s later 14 sprouts amazing. So I’m going to hope for the best and see what happens.

1 Like

I’m with @BudzMS

I put mine in a solo cup of water in the dark at 70F for up to 3 days. Have had one bad out of 12

3 Likes

tent life is for me but i do want to try outside but there is alot of factors like you stated, bugs would probably be a big issue for me

3 Likes

only had 1 myself and im hapoy with that

1 Like

Yes and the one of mine that didn’t pop was a Super Skunk Fem that was given to me by a friend. Don’t know how well it was stored or for how long. May have been left in the hot or something

Welcome to the community.

I went thru 20 white rhino seeds one time and 2 popped . A pissy mood I was in never bought from them again.

Watch out for those seeds they are may hermie on you.

2 Likes