Seeds sprouted overnight - do these look ok?

Hi

Had these 3 x 4 inch pots inside a propagation tray. I just used some spare notill soil I had that was somewhat damp already (hopefully not a dumb idea). Soaked seeds for 24h first.

Overnight I woke up to this and put a light on them 2-3 inches away straight away. Set to 18/6.

Do they look ok? Should I just let them do their thing now and water as the soil dries?

Let it dry. When it is water in a circle around your seedling a inch or two out. The roots will spread for the moisture. And ph your water.

1 Like

Looks like you may need to assist the one on the bottom with her helmet. Other that that they’re off to a good start.

3 Likes

Soil does look a little heavy but should be fine they’re weeds, we just baby em to get em to do tricks. As for lights just a thought, it is better to have to add some soil because they stretch then it is to get em to recover if you burn em. I don’t know your lights just wanted to put that out there, in general
Good luck :evergreen_tree::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Beautiful thank you everyone. I got the “helmet” (love that :laughing:) off the bottom one safely. Will let them dry then water lightly as advised. My water pH is 7, I will have to go buy some ph down, I completely forgot about that.

Light is 2 x 24W T5 CFLs.

Thank you all again. Glad to hear it should be ok, was worried when I woke up and saw them looking tall and a bit sad. First grow :sweat_smile:

I have the same water problem with my tap it’s around 7.2. Have found that Using lemon juice brings it down nicely and is a lot cheaper than ph down had a little one that started off like yours doing great so far

2 Likes

Looks good as long as you keep them moist to keep the shell malleable

1 Like

It’s typically an issue of the seed not being buried far enough or the top soil being too loose. The soil is supposed to pull the shell off as the seedling grows to the surface.

1 Like

I use white vinegar as ph down and baking soda as ph up. cheap and works well for me.

2 Likes

It’s also a density thing I found my peat moss blend to be to loose to reliably pull it off and expect my coco coir will be even less dense

Are you wetting the media before or right after dropping the seed? That should create enough compaction to make enough friction to remove it. Some are stubborn as hell though and will pop out with a full set of armor no matter what.

1 Like

Both I keep it moist and domed buried1 knuckle deep until they shed the shell