Seeds sprout stretch and die

Hi guys I bought 10 ww and got 10 gold for free Grew outdoors for first year. Got two ww to grow one gave me 1/2 z and the other was a midget that gave one bud The gold gave me about 1/4 Now trying to grow indoors Out of 20 seeds I’m down to my last 2 it. It seems like every time I germinate the seedlings start to grow stretch a little and within a week they die. I am using good drainage soil with no nutes. Using led lights blue spectrum temp is in mid 70s lights are on 18/6 timer. I am using bottled water room temp don’t give a lot of water just enough to keep soil damp for two day. Grow all other kinds of plants in house no problems they flourish I just cant get the herbies to grow. I built my on grow box need help. I am following the rules to grow but having no luck

Hi @hogonut. Pretty sure you are going to be asked to fill out a support ticket and as the experts arrive they will offer their advice. The three things I see with limited information you provided is:

1. What is the ph of your water going in?
  2. You should just be foliar spraying for watering at this early stage. You might be overwatering.
  3. Are you doming your seedlings for additional humidity?

Here is the support ticket to help further evaluate:

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA
Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA
Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?
System type?
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?
What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS
Indoor or Outdoor
Light system, size?
Temps; Day, Night
Humidity; Day, Night
Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
Co2; Yes, No
Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

5 Likes

1 Like

a PH of 7 is a bit on the high side, with soil growing I keep my PH at 6.5 and yes that little difference makes a HUGE difference. Also, you didn’t say the type of soil or if you are dome-ing the seedlings…

@Covertgrower @Myfriendis410 @GreenThunder @FreakyDeekie @SmoknGranny @bob31

5 Likes

Over-watering and low temps and low humidity… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

8 Likes

no I don’t have them domed I was using regular potting soil. with no nutes I thought that was the problem So I switched with these to Daniels premium cactus soil It has high rate of aeration perlite . This soil is great you add to pot add water and it swells drainage friendly

1 Like

Ph is in all likelihood your problem. Buy a decent digital ph meter, standard reference solution and use it every time you water. 6.5 in soil, 5.8 in coco or hydro.

You need to lower your lights to prevent stretching. FYI those lights are probably fine for the first 2 weeks but is nowhere near enough light for veg. Hopefully you have additional lighting.

Use the @ sign in front of someone’s handle to get their attention.

Welcome and do ask questions!

2 Likes

Ok I do have a ph meter mixed water to 6.6 what light led preferably do you recommend

1 Like

seedlings need uber high humidity, dome them quickly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@hogonut 7.0 is too high. I’ve learned that you want that pH from 6.2 to 6.7 in soil. It is a pain to learn, but critical to a good plant. Also I found that even in with the veg/bloom switch in veg mode, I can’t get the plants that I want out of my LED lights. I made a fixture with t5 florescents @6400K and 3000K LED spots and the plants seem to like it much better.

untitled Is this a good light

Roll over image to zoom in

MORSEN
MORSEN Reflector-Series 600W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants with VEG and Bloom Switch

@hogonut seems likely that it’s the humidity and high ph killing them. If you get a digital ph meter check your water before spritzing, and eventually as they mature you should be checking PH AFTER adding nutrients. Best solution for keeping humidity high enough is to get a water bottle and cut it in half and cover it. Removing it once a day gives it enough air exchange to breath properly.
Welcome to the forum and I hope this advice gets you growing properly, and we are here to help. Just be sure to tag us @Covertgrower so we get notified.

5 Likes

I keep my ph 6.0-6.2 in soil, and dont feed till first set of real leaves. If ur nute co. recommends something for seedlings i suggest starting that at 1/4 the rec. dosage atleast and ph. to what they recommend.
A good seedling mix is peatmoss 60%,vermiculite 30%,pumice stone10%. Rapidrooters work well.
And stretching is very common when they arent getting enough light.

I have found that the least attention I give my babes the better they do. I tried being very precise on a couple seeds and killed each one. Now, I put a seed in water overnight; it does not matter to me if I see a root, the next day they go into low grade soil that I pre moisten(not wet). I cover with a dome of plastic. I put a desk lamp as close t the top of dome as possible. I mist the dome, but wait until the dirt is dry before giving the seedling a drink. I water VERY lightly at that point in a circle around the stem…this is what I will continue to do. Let soil dry; water in a circular patern outward to facilitate root growth. Transplant to bigger pot when ready. I do PH the water I feed them too. 6.5
That is how I do it.

3 Likes

Checkout these lights getting top marks from reviews and great warrenty I have 2 600w and and they work like a champ http://www.viparspectra.com you can get on amazon .
Rexx

1 Like

@hogonut I just had a similar kind of thing, I germinated using a seed starter pad, seed starter soil (Black Gold) they sprouted in 3 days. Over night they shot up to about 2 1/2 -3 inches, what I would call willowy, They are healthy starting on their 3rd leaf set. I put them outside in the sun and bring them in at night. I also noticed that they had a hard time shedding the seed pod. See earlier post of a few days ago. What’s up with that? :woman_farmer:t4:

@highcountrygal soaking seeds in water till they sink helps that, but some times u need to very gently remove the casing or “helmet” your self.Also if they get tall and stretchy on u mound soil up stem further they will grow roots there. i use rapidrooters soaked in water 6.0ph with a sprinkle of clonex or great white mixed in about 1/8 strentgh, i tear a corner off jam in hole over seed to cover it and keep dark. It also makes plant work a little pushing out and i find makes for healthier mor vigorous growth. Take a water bottle cut in half put ur read rapid rooter in bottom half(tip; turn rapid rooters upside down and make ur own hole, they will stand up then) use top half of bottle to cover like small dome. Once day pull top off as soon as ur girls poke threw. After first one finger leaf(cant spell real name lol) i remove domes add fan sp they sway ever so slightly. A fan is super super important, but use caution it dries out faster wich is bad for a seedling with undeveloped roots. And i keep a 60 -100watt clf bulb as close as possible with burning(few inches away) hope this helps.

2 Likes

Are they falling over if so put a sticj to support them Misting the soil till its damp is best in the beginning also jeeping domes over them helps with humidity
Temps should be more in the 80 deg range
For sprouts

2 Likes

If they are stretching your light needs to be closer, 2 do you have a small fan blowing in their direction? Help strengthen the stem