Seeds not popping

@bob31 @Covertgrower @Ray4x
I’ve had my seeds sitting in Phd room tempwater for a little over 24 hours. The BbA has a tail, pineapple haze shows signs of cracks, the other either haven’t cracked or I can’t tell. Should I wait a few more hours? Maybe put em in a warmer spot?

2 Likes

I had some that took 4 days. Go ahead and gently place the one with the tail, tail facing down in soil. Just wait on the others. It never hurts to place hem someplace warmer. Mine were in a place at about 83°F.

3 Likes

It can definitely take a couple days when I germinate I leave the seeds in a cup of plain tap water for 24hrs in a dark room tempature place like a closet, after 24 I wet a napkin, put the seeds on the napkin and fold the napkin over them, i than put the napkin in a plastic bag with the zipper unzipped so oxygen can flow yet the wetness of napkin will keep the ziplock bag humid for another 24-72 hours and never had a problem! Good luck

1 Like

@VelcroThumb

I would wait until they crack IMO.

1 Like

@VelcroThumb

Just my experience but I put mine in about an ounce of room temperature distilled water for 24 hours. Threw it on the window sill in the kitchen. Was never in direct sunlight. Changed out the water at about 12 hours. After 24 hours, 1 seed had cracked enough that I could see the taproot but it wasn’t officially poking out. The other one was showing signs of cracking. Put both into soil and misted twice a day for three days with humidity domes over the seeds. Both seeds are breaking the surface now. Will post on my grow journal tomorrow morning but that’s my 2 cents. I was too worried about drowning my seeds that the first sign of germination, I went to soil. I noticed at one point that the ends of the seeds with the hole had started to turn white and swell which led me to believe germination had started. Seems to be a few ways to sprout seeds successfully. I just think about how Mother Nature would do it.

1 Like

@SilentHippie @Nitro @Ray4x @Covertgrower
They all cracked! Most taproots were super small but the blueberry had the longest within the least amount of time. Into the napkin and ziplock on the heat pad

7 Likes

WOOHOO!!! Crongrats! You’re going to be a parent! :ok_man: :fist_right::fist_left:

1 Like

I hope they don’t turn into teenage strippers and end up hating me!

3 Likes

@VelcroThumb
With a caring, nurturing home they should turn into “budding” young ladies. Lol

Omg that made me groan…

1 Like

I’m starting mine in soil, one popped after 3 days, still waiting on the rest… Bag seeds.

jf they are covered give it more time. I had seeds pop over 5 days.from the one batch

1 Like

You’ve got the upper hand. You can cut off their heads!

1 Like

Hey @VelcroThumb thanks for the tag! Been a little busy and catching up!

I use a shot glass, filtered tap water 79-82 degrees soak until they have a good tail. Then right into forever homes. Never had one fail.

Kiss method.

Works for me!

Just germinated and sprouted two amnesia haze autos that way.

2 Likes

Agrre with Laurap. I put seeds in a glass of water. Into the cupboard overnight. Take out and firmly tap the conainer. Seeds that will pop sink. those on surface wont. Can grow tails in same water till they at an inch then into yur grow medium. No sink no spout. Means the seed is a husk only.

4 Likes

@milo1952 - Really, a whole inch. I’m sure it varies a bit by strain, but that seems long IMO. About how long between popping and one inch?

1 Like

they will simply grow in the water that you used to cack them. In austalia any dope grown naturally is simply called bush dope. My latest seeds were saved from an ounce I bought so don’t know what strain (why its just called bush dope) but I left the seeds in water and waited a day and a half. Tapped the glass and the seeds sank immediately .I was not ready to plant so I just left them and YES the tails were an inch long. Planted and now EVERY ONE that sank popped and are on their sixth set of leaves. Its the old way of doing it but it works.
Sinking means the seed has a centre. Seeds on top are just shells.

2 Likes

I think this is an effort in futility. I know what both of you are saying, but milo has a point, especially with bagseeds. You never know what will hatch, but that’s an easy visual. I’m sure that 3/4" would be just fine… :wink:

2 Likes

I never let my ILGM or bag seeds soak beyond a 1/4 inch tail and all have grown, no problem. Note that seeds sink and can be re-floated by lifting them with a spoon., so I’m not sure what that really proves. There are many different ways to start seeds. Pick one that works for you and go with it.

Generally mine germinate in 24-36 hours but many take longer and many are even faster!

Might be a AUS thing with the longer tales? (for the bush weed) @VelcroThumb

1 Like

we have sprouts!!!

4 Likes

Australia is the lucky country. Sydney summers are 85 to 105 degrees and dope thrives in these temperatures. .I wasn’t saying wait till the tails are an inch long. my planting was delayed so just left them in the water. There are different approaches to germinating and I was pointing out an old way of doing it to help out.

2 Likes