Seeds in Rockwool

Are you still using the blurple you had before the GB for vegging?

1 Like

It’s the bloomspect SS 100watt, not sure if that counts as blurple or not I thought the blurples we’re those ones with just red and blue diodes but could be wrong

2 Likes

Even at 50% power it was giving 500-600 ppfd, but yeah the quality of the light could def be lacking.

If that’s the case, should speed up now haha my GB order came today! :slight_smile:
Crazy too cuz I ordered on Monday

4 Likes

I use “blurple” to mean “generic Amazon lights” but it’s technically just the super bad ones with blue/red switches :joy:

I would have it at 100% and on 20-4 to encourage faster veg growth. They use the light for energy production. I read a few articles about this and whether you grow on 24/0 or 18/6 or whatever combo you prefer, you’ll end up using the same total amount of “light hours” - the only difference is if you front load it by vegging her for 6 weeks on 24/0 or spread it out for 9 weeks on 18/6. Energy prices govern my lighting schedule - I couldn’t possibly afford my power bill if I had it running 24/0.

1 Like

I was scared/confused about having it turned up all the way since they were already getting 600ppfd which seemed to be around the average of the various numbers people say is right for vegging,
Plus my lack of knowledge on what kinda spectrum it has. In it’s defense, the SGKs are hella bushy and dense with strong stalks, and even the lankier GSCs have pretty woody stalks, gonna be hard to tie down ha.
Makes sense, light hours basically directly being growing time.
I can try raising the intensity and light hours as long as it doesn’t make it too hot towards the afternoon, currently lights on is 8pm to 2pm.
So far in the 2hr it’s been on the GB240 doesn’t seem to make much heat, the bloomspect makes more lol

Should I leave the bloomspect for supplemental for now?
It appears to have a lot of blue and white

4 Likes

I prefer to leave the light intensity high and raise the lights high - I dunno why, it’s just how I do it.

I’d leave both lights as long as it doesn’t get too hot - it’s totally up to you though. Short and dense is perfect. You may just be expecting the kind of growth you see in full coco while using a soil blend that happens to involve a lot of coco.

1 Like

I was thinking about that… think it would be too risky to wash the soil off roots when I transplant into 5gals so I can be in straight preloaded coco?

2 Likes

Generally I believe it would be okay. The trick is to be gentle. I know Hellraiser would deliberately prune roots on his clone mothers so they didn’t grow too large too fast. So even if you damage some roots, I would just expect they might need a bit of recovery time before they bounce back.

4 Likes

It’s not uncommon practice to prune roots like @Graysin said I’m keeping things smaller, think about bonsai trees.

It’s absolutely possible. GENTLE and definitely expect a recovery period. I’d leave a little less than a solo cup with of medium at the very base of the stalk and river everything past that. You can treat like straight Coco after the roots take. Get some beneficial fungus and some good microbes on them too

5 Likes

Yet more trim jail. Up tonight is Garlic Punch (Seattle Chronic)

About 2/3 done at ~45g. Hoping for 90 but not expecting anything, since the math doesn’t look like it’s in my favor there :joy:

9 Likes

Sounds like a plan :slight_smile: will put them into their 5gal airpots tomorrow… been in 1gal fabric for probably too long, I neglected it because I was used to seeing little root tips poking out of holes in plastic when it was time. Didnt consider thats less prominent with fabric lol they probably could have used it weeks ago.
Both excited and nervous for the coco adventure haha but if I fail I’ll just revert for the next clone group.
Is 12 hours enough preload time for the coco soaking in jacks? I’ve read anything between 12 and 48+ lol
I’ve got billions for microbes, but no fungus I don’t think… can I add that later or ?

@Graysin that garlic punch looks delicious! :heart_eyes:
Does it have any sort of garlicy flavor?!

I freaken love garlic. It’s my Italian genetics.

1 Like

No clue yet. I just threw them into a bag for curing :v: I’ll report back in 7-14 days :joy:

Edit for my own reminder- I still have the wee Jack Herer and the Twisted Helix left to trim. Will probably get on that tomorrow night.

2 Likes

I should be (but I’m not) slightly embarrassed to admit that I usually don’t even do that. I’ll often just wet it as it’s going into the pot. I’ve never had an issue

So I’d say yes, 12 hours is plenty :joy::rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah I just rehydrate my coco with Jack’s as I rehydrate, then they go straight into the pot from there. :joy::v:

Update on what’s up in my room right now

Garlic Fusion, In House genetics - the good, the bad, the ugly

Granddaddy Purple, courtesy of @Growingforothers - she is small nugs of dense lil’ rocks.

Blurry trich pics:

And my last surviving Yeti wedding, looking like she’s ready for harvest

11 Likes

Got some beautiful mail today! Thanks man!! :star_struck:
Whenever I end up having something worthy of driving up there to get lab tested I’ll have to bring you something awesome.

Way excited to try the white wedding,
Wedding cake and widow sounds like a freaken awesome mix!

1 Like

Speed update!

@ReelOfishalTrees Zkittlez pheno 2, looks like I dragged her through hell but she’s frosty.

Most importantly she smells incredible.

Haha super speedy. My dog is eating something. Back at lights on tonight for a real update (I hope)

7 Likes

Okay here’s the quick rest of speed update:

Hawaiian Wedding Cake

Garlic Fusion number 1

Oblongata Piñata (she’s beautiful and dank @nodurxshn )

GDP from @Growingforothers

And Garlic Fusion number 2 (just beginning flower)

Lights are off now so that’s all I’ve got for the moment.

I need to harvest Garlic Fusion 1, evaluate Oblongata and Zkittlez and GDP for their harvest windows, and see if I can pull off the move of the century (stuffing the remaining Garlic Fusion and Black Opal into my now-veg tent)

10 Likes

Beautiful growing!!!

2 Likes

Thank you! My plants always look like hell but they smell great and still yield enough, so I’ll call it good! :joy::v:

4 Likes

@xXKristenXx I thought you might get a kick outta this - spent my day upgrading the wiring in part of that old building I told you about. We ran a new 3/4” conduit and in the process of removing some old 12 gauge stuff from an existing conduit, discovered some clever a$$ mofo did several “totally up to code don’t worry” things:
PVC Conduit bodies joining the metal conduit that we use as the ground.
A shared neutral wire that ran the entire length of the 80’ building, breaking at a wire nut for every one of approximately 12 light fixtures, then terminated at an outdoor light fixture - if the outdoor fixture’s switch was on, the return neutral was actually hot as soon as you broke the connection at any one of the fixtures (shocker, we discovered this by removing old fluorescent fixtures and installing LEDs)
An old bag stitcher that got wired in such a way that the foot pedal is, in fact, the motor starter. So it has to be unplugged to avoid … engaging the motor.

Just a handful of “was this actually up to code when it was installed?” moments.

In other news, I got pollen off my male Ruby Juice, who has been quite contentedly living in my office, thriving on nothing but tap water and light from the window. He’s actually growing a fresh round of pollen sacs, so I’ll be able to harvest more. I did pollinate Garlic Fusion, Black Opal, and someone else I don’t remember at this exact moment.

5 Likes