Seeds and seed storage

How long would you guys say seeds last,stored regularly or stored in a air tight dark container in the fridge? Just out of Curiosity??

1 Like

Dark, cool and dry container and they I’ve read of them staying good for years.

2 Likes

That all depends on who you ask/how they are stored. There are factors to aid in prolonging their life. Opaque/dark containers, low humidity and cool temps, etc.

I read one article by Dr. Soul where he talks about preserving seeds for long period in a freezer using the items I mentioned above along with dessicants for storage.

Personally, I’ve had mature seeds last years and they were just stored in a medicine bottle w/ no dessicant (less than ideal conditions) and the seeds germinated just fine.

4 Likes

I store mine in small glass jars in a dark cupboard used to just keep them in a small ziploc in my dresser drawer

1 Like

Guy said he germs seeds in dashboard that were 10+ years, personally I store mine in a jar with a silica packet in the fridge. Just germed 1+ year old purple punch auto seed

3 Likes

There’s documented occurrences of hemp seed sprouting and growing in fields from more than 50 years prior!

Not that I would recommend storing your pot seeds in a field. LOL!

I store mine in padded envelopes in the fridge.
That heritage seed bank to preserve the earths species is in a frozen mountain in Norway. I’m not ready to go for the freezer but the fridge works for me!

3 Likes

I worry about the silica packs. The seed needs that oil in it’s shell to help protect the embryo…

1 Like

I have personally germinated seeds out of the fridge 3 years old. :+1::v:

5 Likes

Without doing anything special they should be good 3-5 years if keep dry and cool. I definitely have seeds over 5 years old and have 2 momma plants from them now. Getting ready to chop clones from.

4 Likes