Seeds and seed storage

How long would you guys say seeds last,stored regularly or stored in a air tight dark container in the fridge? Just out of Curiosity??

2 Likes

Dark, cool and dry container and they I’ve read of them staying good for years.

2 Likes

That all depends on who you ask/how they are stored. There are factors to aid in prolonging their life. Opaque/dark containers, low humidity and cool temps, etc.

I read one article by Dr. Soul where he talks about preserving seeds for long period in a freezer using the items I mentioned above along with dessicants for storage.

Personally, I’ve had mature seeds last years and they were just stored in a medicine bottle w/ no dessicant (less than ideal conditions) and the seeds germinated just fine.

4 Likes

I store mine in small glass jars in a dark cupboard used to just keep them in a small ziploc in my dresser drawer

1 Like

Guy said he germs seeds in dashboard that were 10+ years, personally I store mine in a jar with a silica packet in the fridge. Just germed 1+ year old purple punch auto seed

3 Likes

There’s documented occurrences of hemp seed sprouting and growing in fields from more than 50 years prior!

Not that I would recommend storing your pot seeds in a field. LOL!

I store mine in padded envelopes in the fridge.
That heritage seed bank to preserve the earths species is in a frozen mountain in Norway. I’m not ready to go for the freezer but the fridge works for me!

3 Likes

I worry about the silica packs. The seed needs that oil in it’s shell to help protect the embryo…

1 Like

I have personally germinated seeds out of the fridge 3 years old. :+1::v:

5 Likes

Without doing anything special they should be good 3-5 years if keep dry and cool. I definitely have seeds over 5 years old and have 2 momma plants from them now. Getting ready to chop clones from.

4 Likes

if you store your seeds right, they can last for ages! Just keep 'em in an airtight, dark container in the fridge, and they can last for years, man. Some seeds have even germinated after being stored for decades, crazy right? But it all depends on the type of seed, how old it is, and how you stored it. So, before you plant those old seeds, you should check if they can still grow