Seedlings, watering frequency

What is the ph of the water your watering with at the time you water?

@Blastfact Using distilled till the ph up arrives i ordered the wrong one and thats why its taking so long. These girls are 11 days old

What are you measuring ph with?

Bluelab pen but no need for it because im only using distilled. I was using lemon to balance for a day or two but then i heard lemon isnt a great choice.

WRONG!!! What does your distilled water ph measure at with your Bluelab?

Omg im crying right now!!! Be right back

This is correct. No matter what others say.

It is reading 6.0

@Spiney_norman hi, can you please clarify. Are you also saying i was wrong not to ph distilled?

Thats way to low for any good distilled water. All the distilled water on the market here always tests out at 7.0 to 7.2 ph in the jug. Have you calibrated your ph pen?

Yes sir about a week ago

Or did you ph it down to 6.0 with your Bluelab and citric acid? This is way fractured and so simple.

Distilled water when fresh has a neutral pH of 7. As its exposed to the air it begins to absorb carbon dioxide and will creep down into an acid range . That’s why yours measures 6.0. Given time it will go even lower. But you have to take into account that the parts per million count of distilled water is extremely low. So low that as soon as you put it into the soil it will become the pH of the soil. It has so little actual acid content that the effect on the soil is essentially zero. You can try to pH it if you want, but you will seesaw back and forth trying to hit a number while adding fractions of drops of pH up/down.
Just use it as is and don’t bother to pH it.

2 Likes

Nope i haven’t calibrated water. Thats exactly how i bought it. shoprite brand, bowl&basket distilled water

1 Like

I’m out, Spiney_Norman blew in and this is far to fragmented for me to continue. Have a good day…

2 Likes

Sir i have read somewhere that lemon isn’t a good option to balance your waters ph white vinegar as well isnt good. Whats your suggestion. I could use tap water and bring the ph levels down with lemon /vinegar or i can keep using this old gallon of distilled water for now till ph doqn solution arrives

You do the same sir!

Use the distilled for now.
Get a bottle of pH down. pH down is made from phosphoric acid which is an actual plant food. Things like lemon juice or vinegar or citric acid are ok in the short term. A bottle of pH down is fairly cheap and will last a long time. If and when I use it I only use a drop or two at most.
Heres a typical article about distilled and pH.

But again, that acid it has absorbed is so little in actual volume that you can just ignore it.
Commercial soils contain small amounts of lime or other alkaline ingredients that will adjust a small variance.

1 Like

Spiney knows his sht! I always pay attention to what he posts! Extremely helpful!

2 Likes

You seen that :eyes:?! Lol! Thanks @The_Chef for letting me know.