Seedlings slow growth brownish spots and dropping help!

I have moved my light closer and now have it 24 inches on 80% photon iPhone app says right where I need to be with the DLI at 15. I am not having problems with the spots the the slow growth is still and issue and now I’m realizing the second set of leaves is bending towards the stem down. I’m thinking of transplanting in to fox farm ocean forest because I’m such a new grower and that seems and easier route. Let me know if this is a good idea please.

@OGIncognito @PurpNGold74

What are they originally in? Topping up the soil is always a good idea. But the leaves pointing downwards could be a sign that the soil is staying soakd.

3 Likes

They are in Mother Earth coco petite mix 70/30 and I’ve been watering till runoff about every 36hrs

Try cutting that amount in half. Probably a tad too much for the rootzone. U dont want it to dry completely, but if its not being uptaken by the roots, the bottom half of those cups are probably staying perpetually wet

1 Like

Cut the amount of water per watering in half? And these babies are already 3 weeks since showing so growth is extremely slow.

Feet too wet will hamper growth. Weed in general does best following the flood drought flood method.

Im not a coco grower so other minds maybe worth picking. But the size of ur plants would not warrant much runoff imo.

@Hellraiser @Myfriendis410 @MattyBear u guys have forgotten more about coco then I will ever know. Care to chime in?

3 Likes

I’ve never been able to over water my plants in coco and I use straight coco with no perlite.

They were given too much light at the beginning and maybe even now.

They are hungry, either from under feeding or from ph lockout.

What fox farms nutes are you giving it and how much exactly?

2 Likes

I have only given cal mag 3 times in the last 10 days and fed then fox farms grow big and the organic one both mixed at their seedling mix ratio on the back of the bottle 2 times. I seem to have quite a bit of algae growing on the perlite. All the rest of my waterings have been straight ph 6.0 well water that comes in at 300 ppm from the tap.

Exactly why I poked you. Thanks for the assist. :facepunch:t5:

1 Like

You need to give calmag with every watering, coco has a huge appetite for calcium and will suck up so much of it that it won’t leave much if any available to the plant. Also should feed at every watering with coco since it has no nutes it at all.

I’d make up a batch of nutes with full strength calmag and FF Grow Big @ 1 tsp per gal and FF Big Bloom @ 2 tsp per gal and give that at every watering, no more water only’s as you’re starving them, then ph adjust that to 5.8 and give a big drink to the plants with a lot of runoff, you want to flush them with the calcium and nutrient rich mix you just made.

Go with FF hydro feeding schedule (or do yourself and your plants a favor and eventually switch to Jacks 321 - cheaper and better and great for coco)

On the light, they don’t need much at this point specially when they’re feeling not so great. The BP3000 is a 300 watt light, and you only need like 60 watts at about 20" at this point so dim it down to about 20% for a while.

2 Likes

Perfect thank you for the help. On the cal mag when you say full strength you mean full strength for the seedlings wise? Here is what I’m using

1 Like

I’d do the 1ml dose, don’t think .33ml is gonna cut it for coco.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot will update farther down the road am going to pop 3 more in some ffof and see what happens

1 Like

It’s ml per liters so would you put 3.75 ml in a gallon of cal mag?

Yes that would seem good as I normally used 3 - 5 ml per gal when I used to use calmag.

1 Like

@Don383 I Sprout my seeds in 40%coco+40%potting soil+20%perlite.
I always Add 1 teaspoon of natural/organic granular fertilizer per Gallon. I then Flush with 2% H²O². I don’t feed or adjust pH until almost 2 weeks after.

Banana kush (left) 21 days from seed
Green Crack (right) 18 days from seed
3 Gallon pots from start to finish

1 Like

I have now had 2 of my plants die and when pulling them out there was virtually no root system. And now my biggest plant is yellowing pretty good on the bottom set of leaves. I have not given up yet but I did plant 3 new ones in 70% ffof and 30% of my Mother Earth coco perlite mix and have them covered in plastic bag they are just showing. But my question is in this ffof soil mix do I need to water periodically the first couple weeks of do I just spray the inside of my plastic bag? @Hellraiser @OGIncognito @PurpNGold74 @ARaggedyDiamond also I think I am overwatering my first ones I watered 2 days ago and the coco mix is still wet I have cups with holes in bottom not sure why these babies turned out so shitty.

1 Like

Your medium looks a little wet. The FFOF is a good medium and the hotter of the FF mediums. The bags will create condensation inside and will be absorbed through the leaves. I would hold off watering until the medium dries a little, the clear bag will keep it damp. The others may have died due to dampening off or basically rotted the small tap root. Might want to add a little more medium to the cups seeing some stretching starting :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

The ones that are already growing are in Mother Earth coco perlite 70/30 mix and they are struggling but I thinks it is from overwatering. Do you think the yellowing and hardening of the biggest plants bottom leaves if from overwatering as well?

They yellowing does look like overwatering. Just reduce both amount and frequency.

2 Likes