Seedlings getting pretty tall

Hey guys, first time attempting to grow anything really. I’m using feminized northern lights. I plan on moving outside in a few weeks but it’s still a little chilly so I started them inside. The three bigger ones started a little over a week ago and seemed to be getting too tall, so I buried them a little deeper. The other six only went in a couple days ago.

I’ve been doing some reading and it sounded like they weren’t getting enough light. I moved it down a few inches I’m just a little worried it might be too close. Been trying to decide if I should run out and get another light from Home Depot or if this one being closer might be alright for the next couple weeks. This was just a cheap one off of Amazon that I figured would be okay until they go outside. Thanks guys!

3 Likes

I think you’re going in the right direction. Getting light closer should help with the stretch.
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

1 Like

Hold your hand palm down just over the seedlings. If your light feels hot to the back of your hand then its too close. If you are not uncomfortable its ok for the babies too. It may feel a little warm, but trust your judgement.

1 Like

Welcome my friend they look great they dont seem to be stretching at all too much!

When you transplant outside you can just bury them a little deeper

3 Likes

Welcome like the greetings above. You are golden. Those look like strong stems. It’s when they stretch and the stems thin out there is trouble. They just fall over and die. You can just choke up on the bat like @ConcreteBudz said. Just burry them a bit deeper at transplant. Looking forward to getting to know you. Happy growing.:scream_cat:

3 Likes

Thanks guys! After doing more research I found out about the Photone app and checked around where they were. Even with it lowered most of them were only getting 9-12 Dli. Ran out to Home Depot and grabbed this one and set it to a height where they’re all getting 24-30 which is what it seemed to be recommended. Hopefully this should be good until it’s warm enough to bring them outside.

And that picture was after I dropped the tall ones down another inch or so. Appreciate all the help guys, here’s a pic of the new light. Still nothing crazy but hopefully enough until they’re ready.

1 Like

Hi there. Welcome to your new happy place :blush: