Seedlings are flowering!

Hi,

I started these on March 30th. And they have barely grown, now they are starting to flower am I completely screwed? These are the bruce banner auto flowers.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say screwed but, your yield is gonna be small. Those should have been transplanted into 3 or 5 gallon pots long ago. Probably the reason they stayed so small. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Damn, ok should i transplant them now?

2 Likes

I don’t think it will make a difference at this point. The roots do most of their growing early. Maybe @Graysin can chime in.

Usually when you start in solo cups you transplant as soon as the leaves hit the rim of the cup.

3 Likes

Where are you located? Have they always been outdoors?

I had them indoors under a light in suboptimal conditions because the weather became very cold here and I just put them outside for good last week. They seem to have grown and done much much better outdoors.

1 Like

Well when you put them outside they were getting good lighting under the sun. Indoors autos need 18 hours of light to meet those same needs.

1 Like

Indoor lighting will never truly match the power of the sun. Photos I may be able to guide you alittle but autos…. Not to sure about the GMO grow strategy. Lol.

Yea exactly I just started 5 new zittlez plants like 2 weeks ago and put them outside bc it was warm and the first set of leaves on them have already grown like double or triple the size of the leaves on the Bruce banners

2 Likes

Honestly I’m of two minds. Transplanting them now into larger pots will give the roots room to stretch and she’s still in transition so it may allow a bit more growth than if they just get left in the small containers. The biggest benefit is less frequent watering is required in a larger pot. Especially beneficial outdoors.

The potential issue is that transplants are somewhat stressful. If you don’t do it smoothly, you may hamper her progress by stressing her out with the transplant.

I would probably do it if it were me. Flowering plants are much more demanding on water and nutrients. It’s hard to meet those demands in a solo cup or similar sized pot.

3 Likes

I agree with @Graysin and transplant them carefully. Get your new home ready, bury a solo cup in it to make a mold, then slide the little rootball out of the existing cup and slip it into its new formed home. That way the roots don’t get damaged.
Like this…

Round plug in round hole, square in square hole!

4 Likes

I see and hear of so many people just digging a hole and dropping in their root plug and then wondering why their plant exhibits signs of shock. I equate it to me taking off my size 9 shoes and putting on a pair of size 9 boots…nice and comfy. Nobody takes off their size 9 shoes, puts them into size 12 boots and them crams socks around your toes and heels to make them fit. Try it, bet it feels real strange and it’ll bug your feet! Think of your plant and what she must feel when you do that!

6 Likes

That’s why I tagged you :joy::beers:

1 Like

Very interesting point of view.

Transplant and grow, my vote. Experiments teach different things; some are valuable and fantastic.

1 Like

Transplanting would be the best option. My friend had the exact same scenario with his first grow. He transplanted and it did make some progress and he ended up with about 1/2 dry oz at harvest. Better than 0

2 Likes

I also say transplant. I have been thinking about the shoe concept for awhile. Hmmm… I see the idea behind it but I also understand that the roots need room to grow.
I see what you mean by putting a size nine foot into a size 12 shoe. I know if I did this before a run my foot would slide all over the place. More room would really not be better.
But roots aren’t like feet. The size nine foot will not grow nor dose it require the extra room to grow into. (Unless you are a little kid) If you put a baby’s foot into a size that was to small it would hurt/hinder the roots growth. Might even deform it. Haha Now you put that growing foot into a shoe that has room to grow it will take advantage of it.
I don’t feel that the roots truly know how bit of pot they are initially planted in do to the fact they are not tapped into the in-used soil.
Idk. Kinda a wired concept to think about.

Go big or go home and let those roots explode with growth. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry @HippieRunner1 my point was to transplant, but slide the rootball into a mold of new dirt. In the picture I posted, I DO remove the planted molds before I put the plant in!
I just see so many people end up crumbling the rootball when they transplant as it doesn’t have a form fitted hole for it to slide into. Same size hole, same size shoes. Many folks dig the hole, put the rootball plug in, then PACK soil around it. Different size hole vs plug/shoe vs foot, pad with dirt/socks. You feel uncomfortable, the girl gets some root damage.

Once in the new dirt, the roots WILL grow! Either method, mine is just less “painful” to them (I feel).

1 Like

Ohh…. Hahah I see what you are saying now. Gotcha :wink:

Either way, they’re off and running! LOL!

2 Likes