Seedling to 7 Gallon Fabric Pot

I’m new here, but seems like the place to be. I put three seeds down under. No, not Australia. I planted white widow, bubblegum kush and AK-47. I just put four others into a cup of water not too long ago. I have the other three in 7-gallon pots. Half of the pots have some potting soil that contains soil, vermiculite and perlite. The top half of the soil is made up of half peat moss and half vermiculite. It’s super hot out here so I have to spray them almost three times a day with a spray mist. I give them about 20 spray mists per watering. I watched a video where a guy puts a bunch of water in the fabric pot, I use fabric pots, until the water runs off. He doesn’t water his seedlings until the pot is almost dry, which is in three to four days, maybe five. I’m super nervous and trying to get this right. I’ll stick to the mist, but has anyone had success with the method of watering the pot until the water runs off? How often do you do it. Misting can be time consuming and it worries me that I’ll let the plant die of dehydration. What are your thoughts? Thanks for reading this.

4 Likes

It’s hard to overwater in fabric pots. I mean you would have to be drowning your plants. It’s time consuming, but once you totally soak your plant, you should be good for a few days. I usually soak my plants once a week and water normally mid-week. I grow in super soil so waiting more than 4 days between watering is pushing it.

I also put a strip of plastic (about 4" wide) around the inside of the pot. This helps to funnel more of the water into the pot.

7 Likes

I water to run off (water coming out of the pot) every time I water. If you are using a salt based nutrient it’s a must in order to not have a build up of nutrients.

If you’re in some sort of super soil you don’t want to water to run off as It will flush your nutrients out of the soil

6 Likes

I like the LST on your plant. What material are you using to hold them down? Thanks for the reply. Very enlightening.

Thank you for replying. I am not using any super soil. I am using some fish emulsion fertilizer with a 5-1-1 NPK. I put the tsp of fertilizer in a liter of water and gave it to each pot the day before planting the seedling. I keep reading in the grow bible that overwatering can be worse than underwatering and that a few spritzes of water several times a day works. I am just being cautious, but I think tomorrow I’ll just water to run off. Thank you to everyone for the input.

2 Likes

Real thick electrical wiring.

2 Likes

How old are the plants? Can you post a pic of them?

1 Like

They are five days old. Three days in the water for germination. Two days in the soil. Thank you for your service.

1 Like

Thank you for your service.

1 Like

If they’re that you don’t don’t water to run off yet. You can give the a couple of ounces in a ring about 2 inches from the stem.

1 Like

There isn’t a stem, yet, but I get your point. It rained today and I was running errands. Good thing it didn’t rain long and that the soil is aerated.

1 Like

They really are too you g to be out in rain storms. You might want to put them under some sort of cover for a week or two, where they can still get light but won’t get drowned or burnt up from the sun

2 Likes

Yeah. I just did that. I’m lucky it didn’t rain a bunch or came down hard. I think I’ll wait to water until the soil feels slightly damp. Thanks for looking out.

1 Like

Let the soil dry out before you water. These plants, when in soil, like to have things dry out before getting watered.

If the soil is dry one knuckle deep go ahead and water

2 Likes