Seedling Problems - Auto Grow

Hi All,

Hope you can help me out here. I am having trouble with my grow and I can’t figure out what’s up. This is my 5th grow and the only thing I’ve changed is upgrading my light from a cheap Viparspectra to an HLG Blackwing.

Here’s the details:
Tent: AC Infinity 2x4
Light: HLG Blackwing
Filter & Outtake: Gorilla/AC Infinity
Soil: Mother Earth Coco/Perlite
Light Distance: 24"
Temp: 79 degrees
Humidity: 75%
Day: 14

These girls haven’t budged and are starting to look a little calcium deficient. Too much water? Is there something I’m missing with the HLG Blackwing? It has a dial for light control and I have it just under half strength. Should I take these seedlings out and start over??

Appreciate your input!!

1 Like

Your plants aren’t going to have any deficiencies while those cotyledon leaves are still feeding them.

Overwatering can cause slow growth. How much and how often are you watering them? At this point it would be better to give them very little water and instead cover them with a humidity dome for several days until a root system starts getting established. The plants can get all of the water they need from the humidity in the dome.

6 Likes

I would agree it’s most likely watering related.

4 Likes

I was only watering them with a spray bottle for the first week so the tops looked wet. In 24 hr they were dry and resprayed. Yesterday I thought, maybe not enough water so I gave them about 1 cup water each - maybe too much!?

I have some clear solo cup I can use as a humidity dome if you think that will work?

2 Likes

It will.

4 Likes

@ajsgrows solo cups with domes just misted when needed and keep seedlings in them untill 3-4 weeks old to develop a strong root system.

This is at 5 days above ground.

5 Likes

Awesome - thank you!

2 Likes

Save your McDonald’s and Wendy’s cups. They marry up perfectly with Solo cups. Perfect dome for seedlings and allows great light distance.

5 Likes

@ajsgrows what strain and seedbank are you growing ?

1 Like

I know that the waiting for the next sign to show but when that tap root hits bottom watch out. I know my solo cup garden is the same it seems like nothings happening but then yesterday she had good movement and today almost measurable like corn lol. My trans plants yesterday

1/9 seedlings

4 Likes

Throw that spray bottle somewhere far, far away.

Spray bottles are the king of causing overwatering in young plants. They don’t provide enough moisture at once to fully saturate the soil, and help encourage frequent reapplication (spraying more and more). What ends up happening is you Spritz the plant and the water seeps down into the root zone. The top of the soil dries up, and you water again. The water seeps down before the root zone is dry, and you see a dry soil surface - and then spray again, even though now the root zone is twice as wet as it was before. Rinse and repeat for two weeks and you’ll have a drowned plant.

4 Likes

Very well put. I’ve killed a few seedlings with them myself, no issues after tossing it aside and using clear cups as domes, ziploc bags over solo cups/small pots works very well too!

1 Like

I am using ILGM Seeds - Autos

1 Like

Great advice! I’ve completely stopped watering almost all week and there is still plenty of moisture in the soil. I must have been overwatering due to this exact reason! Plants are looking a little better…I hope they continue to improve!

2 Likes

Hi All,

A week later and the girls are looking much better. I haven’t watered all week and just kept the domes on them. I think I made a rookie mistake and overwatered last week. Coco is almost completely dry with a little moisture around the seedlings.

Wondering if I should start watering again this time with nutrients on a very low dose as I am now in week three since they popped above the soil. Thoughts? Any gauge of how much water to give them to get them moving? Or should I wait until all the coco is bone dry and then introduce water with nutes?

Thanks for all the helpful info - really appreciate it!!

1 Like

Feed cal mag everyday until day 15 when you introduce light veg nutes. You’re behind a bit.
Don’t worry about overwatering