Seedling medium choices

Hello everyone. I am starting my first grow in over 20years and I am trying to find a good medium to use for my gg autoflower seedlings. I will be using Ffof and adding 20-30%perlite for my regular medium. I am not transplanting it, But I want to dig a small amount out and fill it with a standard not arguably “hot” soil and let the plant grow into the nutrients of Ffof(people scared me using Ffof from the start). I will be using a 3x3 tent, a kind k5750 set to blue light at <=50%power at kind’s recommend height of 46inch for seedlings.I would like to go to a box store and pick up these supplies, but if I have to I will order it. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated,Thank ya!

@Trexhd95 Welcome, I use FF happy Frog (keep a eye on your PH with the stuff). Did you buy your lights already . Blurple is old tech.

1 Like

I have been checking out happy frog, so many people argue about the soils from this company. It’s hard to know whose right/what to believe. I was gifted this light from a ole friend. The light itself is about 3years old.

Blurple’s are great for vegetation,Wait, Is that a K5 Series XL750, that is a $1400 light. I need friends like that.

1 Like

FFOF is a little hot ,but people grow seedlings in it all the time,and HF and OF have unstable pH, so you have to keep a eye on it . But over all they are both great media. If you have a XL750, I think you are fine on lights @dbrn32 is the light Pro

1 Like

I’ve used both Happy Frog and Ocean Forest. I always get my water in at 6.5ph and never had an issue. I was so impressed with them I use them on my veg garden.

Go to a hydro store, it’s much cheaper then ordering online. The FF website has a list of retailers.

1 Like

@KoolHandLuke will definitely keep my eye on it, I have my ph and tds meters ready. I have just gotten scared from different info that the soil may be too much for some autoflower seedlings. Yep, It’s a k5 xl750,everything comes around, good ole friend for sure, wont even let me pay anything for it :neutral_face:. Some one helped him when he started, and now hes helping me. He hasnt grown for awhile so hes not using it. He had 4 anyway …
@Zee that’s good to hear, I looked on fifa’s website, I found 1 place close. I will see if they have any nutes. Been think about the big bloom,tiger bloom and cal mag when the time is right. Have yall used those dry ferts from ff?

1 Like

I have a XL 600 in a 3x3. The 750 will do just fine once you tune it it.
Happy frog or similar is a good choice. Main thing is to read package and contents and look out specifically if there are added fertilizers (which you want to avoid)
Nice friend to lay that on you.

1 Like

@beardless I was looking at the xl600, they have them on sale for about 600 nowdays. I am planning on running the light easy at first then scale up the power and close the distance as they age. Like you said, I will have to find the right tune for the set up.

Not the dry nutes, but heard great things about them I use the trio, same ones you posted. Great stuff, especially just getting back into the hobby. Start with a 1/4 dose of recommendation, get them used to it. Follow the flush schedule, they have a reputation of salt build up.

You should get grow big, sorry missed that. That will cover the trio.

1 Like

@Zee I hear they are good as well. I will probely go with the liquids. I will definitely ease them into it. The only reason I thought about leaving the grow big out was since these are autoflowers and they will be in thier 4-5th week before I theoretically need to add nutes. Then the last week or 2 of the 8-9week cycle will be just ph’d flush water. So what I have gathered is that I may only need to nute them for a few weeks🤷‍♂️… I have read ff’s feeding schedule, but I think they pertain to photos, and I am trying to adapt that to feed these babies… I am not sure if this plan is a good 1 or not.

1 Like

I was just starting out a year ago and clueless about lights other than what the mfg / seller tells you.
I am happy with it but I did add extra light. And, for the cost there are better options currently out there.

1 Like

Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to get a small bag of happy frog, and I will let my babies grow into the ocean forest- just to be on the safer side.:thinking:

2 Likes

you will be happy with it

2 Likes

I use fox farm light warrior

1 Like