Seedling in rockwool cube, how do i feed them?

I have 6 seedlings in rockwool cubes right now in a tray with a dome over it to keep humidity up.
When and how should i feed my babies?
I was thinking just adding a bit of 5.8Ph water to the bottom of the tray every couple days to let the rockwool soak up a bit and to possibly promote roots to grow more downwards.
Or, lightly spraying the bottom portion of the rockwool every couple days with 5.8ph water.

What do you guys do to feed water this early on?
Are my ideas a good way to feed them without drowning them out?

Here is a photo of them right now

2 Likes

200PPM nutrients or less. Mix solution and pour in or spray on the cubes. Less than 1/4” (or less) on the bottom of the tray. Very little. Then hand feed when you put them in the net pots. 300-400 gradually increasing.

1 Like

@Covertgrower correct me if im wrong but if they aren’t on a heat mat shouldn’t the rockwool stay wet till the at least pop up.

Yes the rock wool should remain moist, not saturated at all times.

Thank you! Right now im using tap thats gone through a hydrologic smallboy with the upgraded carbon filter.
(It takes all the chlorine and stuff like that out)
The ppm is about 170 so im hesitant in using any micro nutrients yet and was just going to use the filtered water, is this right?
(I will be getting the stealthy RO conversion soon so i can have more control of whats in the water.)

@Siksr Have you gotten a water report from your city… most will have it posted on their website. 170 you shouldn’t have to add any micros at all
But I would definitely check out a water report…

This will be your base ppm. So count that as 0, add nutrients, to where you get to 200. So 170+200=370.

The 170ppm out of the tap, has nothing that helps it grow, like nitrogen.

2 Likes

oh wow I have been looking at that all wrong lol

2 Likes

Yes i did check the water report, but it doesnt give me a measurement on Cal-Mag

Usually never does.
It may have a breakdown of how much calcium or lime in the water, which will add to the ppm content.

Ignore those, and add nutrients.

2 Likes

I am using AN 3 part “ph perfect” nutrients. Should i be using all 3 at very miniscule amounts to get those PPMs or just the micro until it grows out of the rockwool?

1 Like

You could use all 3, but that might be challenging. I would add the very base with nitrogen. As long as it has some PK in there. PK both help make roots.

1 Like

The micro doesn’t have the PK portions, it is a 2-0-0 so i will be having to use all 3.

1 Like

I am pretty sure @kaptain3d uses AN ph perfect… he might be ale to help

I do, but I’ve never used rockwool… but I use all 3, all the time, from the start of feeding to harvest…
and full strength all the time. But I don’t know better and I don’t check PPM. :nerd_face:

1 Like

You do full strength start to finish?
Im too scared to kill my plants for that lol, seeds cost money xD

2 Likes

Just made some 5.8Ph water with 190PPM of the nutes and sprayed a bit towards the bottom of the rockwool :slight_smile:

2 Likes