Seedling has yellow spots on leaves

Is this caused by not fertilizing? I read that you should wait two weeks before giving your seedlings nutrients. This one is 12 days old so I haven’t begun feeding them yet, and this is the only one out of three that has these yellow spots. They are planted in Jiffy seed starting mix.

Looks like you may have gotten a nutrient solution spilled on them, or water.

5 Likes

That makes sense. I use a spray bottle to water them and got in a hurry before leaving for work yesterday and probably got some on the leaves. Thank you :smile:

3 Likes

I agree. How big is the cup and how much medium is in there? Looks like there’s not much, in which case you will want to transplant soon.

1 Like

It is a Bonnie vegetable cup that I sanitized after I planted the tomato out of it. They are a little bigger than a Solo cup, and hold two cups of seed starter mix. I was wondering as well if I needed to change them over to a soil mix or if I should wait and do that when they get bigger and need to be transplanted. I was going to start giving them a little nutrition in a couple of days because they are growing so fast. I thought maybe some molasses water until I get them transplanted and then start them on a compost veg tea…

1 Like

The cup is probably fine to use, but it looks only half full. I would fill them just shy of top in the future.

I’m not sure if there’s anything in your starting mix, but the plant doesn’t appear to be screaming for nutrients. If you’re planning on going to an amended soil soon you probably don’t need to feed.

3 Likes