Seedling germination & 'Stretch' Question?

HI to all, these seedlings are 11 days old. Already in full sun. 4 are Northern Lights #5 & 2 are AK 47’s Autoflower.
My question and concerns were/are related to ‘seedling stretch’? I germinated all 6 in Jiffy Peat Pots(3" little square pot) and by day 7 stems were approx’ 2’ inch’s in height. I realise I have insufficient lighting, but that said 1 seedling sprouted and stayed at 1/2 inch in height(not ilgm seed). Is it the seed genetics?
On day 8 I potted-on into 6’ inch pots. The stretched seedlings I covered approx 1/2-3/4 inch of the stem into my own blend of mix. IMO, day 11 they are all looking good. The growth now is in the leaves(3rd & 4th sets) and they are outside full time.

So, what causes this seedling stretch ? Is it not enough lighting immediately after the seeds germinate? Ive changed my light hood, I have 2 x 18W Growlux T8 tubes. I have put the 2 tubes 2 1/2’ inches apart so now seedlings receive 36W of light. Next year I will upgrade to a 600 Viparspectar 600 led for the seedling stage and first 2 weeks, but for now I have to use the growlux. This is my 3rd grow and I do OK. Medicine I harvest & dry lasts me all year. But I’m interested in learning how to avoid seedling stretch in the future.

1 Like

Your florescent lights you can lower closer which would increase light intensity some. The biggest problem is lack of light. That will cause them to reach for the light. You can use a colder light. (5000k-6000K) that will keep stretch to a minimum also. Lighting intensity is still more important than light temperature. @Brandy

2 Likes

plain and simple… seedling stretch is lack of strong light.
not the best start. suggest you move to 5 gallon pots. 3 gallon the autos.

3 Likes

I would have buried those stems deeper in the pot. Plus a small fan blowing on them to strengthen their stem. Still think yours are a little too stretched. You do not want them falling over.

loop a pipe cleaner around the stem to support until it gets established.

Hi to All,

A few days later has made all the difference. Cloud today and mist rain. It was a tense few days as we experienced winds up to 50 kph, and sunshine. If you notice 2 of the seedlings have toothpicks and a little elastic string to assist the stems(that was 2 days ago). They seem happy. I have a cage setup that I put over the seedlings when the wind is really up. They still get sunshine thru it, but I try to keep it off so they get full sun. We have 15 hr days right now so they are sucking it up As a newbie I try to anticipate the next issue…

Thanks for the assistance. Being new, and growing outdoors I only have the one time to get it right.

To the outdoor grow Pro’s, I have a question?
My above crop is going gangbusters. I will post some Pic’s when I can. However I have a question: I have 5 NL #5(from ilgm). I did read during research, that many pros do not bother to ‘top’ or fim this particular strain?
I have 3 Nl’s in 3 gallon grow-bags & 2 in 5 gal gbs. At 4 wks old y’day, this morning the tallest are 14-15 inches high. Keeping in mind 4 had to recover from seedling stretch, the 5th NL is shorter/squatter as it had a full 36W for the first 7 days before being transferred to full sun.
At 4 wks old, am I out of th top.fim window or is there still time?
I look forward to any replys?
Brett

Hi All, pondering the following:

I have 5 auto-flower seeds coming and 5 free ones. I guess the 5 free ones are not auto-flower and from what I have read are more difficult to grow. So, my plan is to start with the 5 auto-flower.

I was thinking at one time of starting 2 of each the auto and the non auto, but then decided that I have a 5 x 6 grow room so did not want to over fill but also did not want to risk growing less than 4 plants (don’t ask me why, in my mind, I have done without it for so long that I am afraid I won’t have enough to last until the next harvest.

Also, starting the auto ones seems the best idea because I was thinking I could try to do cuttings from those). My thinking is, if I start all 5 auto flowering seeds and one doesn’t make it, I’ll still have the 4 and if all 5 make it, I’ll make room . Any ideas?

@JimmyBeam
I don’t recommend cloning the autoflower.
Autoflowers if cloned both plants, the clone and the parent, will be on the same time schedule. Both will begin flower at the same time. Yields will be diminished, and it’s better to allow the autoflower to finish with out being messed with.

I would start the photoperiod at the same time. You can change the light schedule whenever you want to flower the photoperiod, the autoflower will be fine no matter the light schedule. To keep from running out you should start another autoflower in about one month after the first couple.
Photoperiods are much easier to clone, and you should take clones right before you send her to flowering. Remember clones are the same age as their parent, and can be given nutrients as soon as they develop roots.
Happy growing.

Thanks a lot. This response puts me one step closer to having (what I think) is a solid plan. I don’t think I have room for more than 5 plants in my 5 x 6 grow room. So I may do the auto-flower first then follow through with another auto-flower. Will I risk the non auto-flower seeds getting too old for germination? I was thinking, I might try to germinate those outdoors in the spring, not sure yet. What are your thoughts?

@JimmyBeam
Storing seeds in a cool dry place they’ll last for years.
A lot of people will store seeds in a mason jar, with a moisture absorbing packet in the freezer.
If you have a place to grow outside I think either will would grow well outside. Up to you.
Happy growing.