Seeding problems! Poor Loretta!

Day 7 - All seems to be going well, and she’s putting effort into growing her new leaves.

3 Likes

It’s day 10. Cup is getting lighter, but still not light enough to water. She stood up straight, but her first leaves have shown a bit of a “wave”. I’ve been slowly dialing up the DLI a tiny bit every day (not today because of this question) - I started at 10 and am now up to 20.

Is she looking ok? The other new leaves look fine to me

@Hellraiser @Graysin

4 Likes

Inclined to file it under “new leaf weirdness.” Should be just fine. How long has it been since watering and what ph are you watering at when you do?

2 Likes

Using pH 6.5 water, and she had her last drink 5 days ago. I’m weighing her daily, she is close to having drunk 3 oz, and moisture meter still shows moist today - though on the lower end of moist, heading to dry. I’ve been weighing and measuring everything. She took on 3.5 oz at her last watering.

I’m being overly vigilant - I’m the original hen with one chick.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Sounds like everything is on point. Bear in mind as she gets bigger she’ll start to weigh more so you may have to subtract some of that as new weight gained. But she doesn’t look droopy like she desperately needs water so I think you’re just fine to wait another day or two before watering again. She’ll show you if she wants more before then, for sure.

Don’t stress the leaves much, they’ll just be funky. Even for the next 2-3 sets of leaves. It’s just “new leaf weirdness” while the plant figures out how to grow. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sounds good to me. I’m using weight plus moisture meter to be careful not to overwater. I’m also “swinging the cup” every time just to get used to the feel. I’m chilling my PfP which recommended preparing the soil 10 days before use - it is finally getting down to “low moist” - and I’m not transplanting till next week.

The pH balancing was rather a pain in the neck, I have a couple of liters waiting pre-prepared but I’ll have to recheck before use. I know this will get easier with practice.

3 Likes

My first set of leaves often get a bit twisty, no big deal.

1 Like

Yeah. My current plant’s early leaves are twisty and variegated.

Thank you all, I will calm down eventually! :wink:

I want to make sure if I’m making mistakes, I get on top of them right away. I’m grateful to have people who know what they are doing to ask for advice.

1 Like

Daily photo shoot.

She stood back up straight, yay! And second leaves growing well with the third set on the way. She’s almost done being a “seedling” looks to me. Water today - boy oh boy was she light this morning! She drank nearly every drop of the 4 ounces I gave her. (pH 6.5, of course!)

5 Likes

Yeah, she’s growing, and nicely!

1 Like

Thank you! She is starting to shape up. She’s moving to her big pot next week.

1 Like

She is 12 days old now. Looking forward to next week, she’s moving to the PfP. She used 1.5 oz of water in 24 hours so I feel like her roots must be coming along properly.

I’m like a hen with one chick.

2 Likes

Me, too! :chicken: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Obligatory day 13 pictures. She’s using water much more quickly, I was thinking of transplanting tomorrow, day 14. (Increased DLI to 25 today.)

Looking good, or still wait?

1 Like

After reviewing @Hellraiser’s journal again, I think I’ll give her a few more days in the solo cup. Black Friday seems like a good day to transplant, I’ll be in recovery from cooking the feast the day before so I’m not going anywhere!

3 Likes

Today in hen with one chick central… All quiet, she’s working hard.

Top picture is this afternoon, when I checked on her. Lower is this morning. Her leaves have grown visibly in one day.

I know this isn’t new to the growers reading this, but it’s a new adventure for me and I’m so thrilled just watching her develop.

3 Likes

It’s always exciting. Just because some folks have seen it before doesn’t mean everyone isn’t equally thrilled for and with you :wink:

I’m glad to see her lower leaves are sorting themselves out as she gets bigger. :v:

3 Likes

@Hellraiser @Twelve1 @Graysin

Good morning! Lucy’s still doing well and growing like crazy, hooray! I have a question. I’m not using any nutes at this point - as she’s in a Pot for Pot. I do have Sugar Daddy which came in my untouched nutes kit. It claims it helps prepare the plant for transplanting. Should I give her a touch of this? I have an eye to transplanting on Friday (though I’m open to changing my mind!). Thanks very much!

2 Likes

Guess it’s like taking a kid to Disney for the first time. Reliving that first time energy. :wink:

2 Likes