Seeding for outside grow

I have just some bag seeds going right now but was thinking about white widow

1 Like

look in the forum/members/strain and seach on that for a thread that says strain selection spreadsheet. one of those charts has listing by “flowering time” and that will give you some ideas of the strains with short flowering. i think super skunk is easy, has a short flowering time, and is on sale.

2 Likes

@perry2 I’m in Michigan as well. Don’t start them in January :sunglasses::sunglasses: That’s what I did and am quickly running out of space. I’ll attach a pic. of my White Widow’s that were dropped in water on Jan 14 to give you an idea. I would guess to drop your seeds in water no sooner than April 1st and you should easily have a 12"+ plant by June 1st to plant. Search “Hardening off” to get an idea on how to get your indoor plants ready for outdoor life. My2 Cents.

:v:

3 Likes

I would look up the frost free date for the area you live in. Some places in Michigan are listed as late as end of June. The frost free date for my area is when I feel comfortable planting outside.

Once you find frost free date, figure you’ll start reducing light hours early July which will eventually trigger your plants to flower. One of the outdoor Michigan growers would have to comment on when this typically is, but I’m guessing late July to early August. Anyway, I would take into consideration how much time between that frost free date and flowering date there is for your plant to grow, vs how big of a plant you want to end up with. Then weigh that against how big of a plant you want or can start with.

2 Likes

Ya there is a lot that I need to study yet. When to start seeds, hardening off, type of seeds,and the time zone for the area but I think I’ll go with containers for the grow it self

@Verndoc man those are looking nice

Thanks @perry2 follow my journal to see when I manage to mess things up. I started WAY too soon. I’m planning to plant them outside…

:v:

1 Like

@perry2 I think September would be the latest I would allow them to grow. Anything past that the rain sets in for fall, and you start to risk bud rot. I have zero experience in MI outside but I’m familiar with most weather patterns for the southwest area of MI.

1 Like

He’s asking when to start plants to move outdoors?

1 Like

@dbrn32 @Covertgrower I think the end of the growing season would also be important for how long they can be outside also @monkman said something about a spreadsheet but I can’t seem to find it.

click forum, look towards bottom of topics for members lounge and click strains, look under strains for strain spread sheet for topic. when you get it opened scroll up and there are different charts with different headings, the first one is flower time

Great thanks monkman

1 Like

that is the reason i suggested the super skunk, it is at top of list in lowest flower time.

@monkman found it wow now this is a lot of great information

1 Like

there is a huge amount of information on this site and it takes a lot of time to find it, and to find what is appropriate to what you need to know. i have been here a month and instead of spending 2 to 8 hours a day on games i am spending it reading thru the different topics and headings. There is still a bunch that i haven’t looked at yet lol.

It is, but that would indeed be considered more with your strain selection and wouldn’t have as much to do with when you start them.

That’s true

@perry2 sorry I missed that part of your question. I would bet it would be safe to say when outside temps start stabilize, and are on the warm up trend. I would bet end of March, or beginning of April you should be safe. This is difficult to pin down, as you know this is Michigan, and it can change in 5 mins. If the temps randomly drop below freezing, just cover it with an insulated container. Otherwise cannabis will survive well into 38°F. She won’t look pretty, but she’ll perk back up when she warms up. If you start them in the ends few weeks she should be a good size to place outside.

1 Like

I live about 75 miles west of Chicago, and I started my seeds the last week of February. When they get a bit bigger, and the weather finally gets a bit nicer, I will put them out during the day, and back under the lights at night. Then finally when I plant my veggies and flowers my plants ago go out, that is normally between the first and 3ed week in may.

I have tried a few different types, and yes you have to make sure there is enough time for the plant to mature. I have had good success with White widow and Strawberry Kush. Also just a fyi. I also leave my plants out as late as they can, if it dont get toooo cold they will be fine. Also you dont want wet flowers when you pick them, Well thats if they still need more time outdoors. If they are ready i do pick them.