Seed storage and longevity

Hello everyone. Considering theres a sale going on and i just blew my paycheck stocking up on some of the 10+10 free deals, i was wondering what the community does for seed storage?

And also how long is the longest youve kept seeds and had them still germinate? A friend who got me started gave me like 50 jack herer seeds i thought i was rich but only one or two germinated… he kept them in a unsealed clear plastic bag at room temp and they were about 2-3 years old… anyone have similar luck?

Long term storage tips :
Protect from light
Protect from temperature fluctuations

Ive read articles where a sealed container in the back of the fridge is best (away from door which has wild temp fluctuations) but i dont know anyone who actually cold stores their seeds.

Im getting 20 seeds of a few strains, and im also the type to clone my tops and maybe even keeo mothers. So im hoping for years of storage.

Currently i keep them in the ILGM small ziplocs(oxygen), inside a zip cash baglike from banks(light). And i keep that up in a closet top shelf (stable temp) but im on my first grows so i have no long term experience im getting 100% to pop

Hi - I keep mine in the original packaging and store them in a cool and dry place - top shelf of a kitchen cabinet. My longest experience storing seeds was about six months and I had no germination issues. I suspect they can go much longer. I still have 13 maui wowies from a 10+10 sale.

I recommend following the ILGM germination guide and using 6.5pH water during the process. I have used hot soils with success, but many with caution against it. Prior to putting the seed in it, I give it a goo water to flush a bit of the nutes out. There are many other methods, paper towels, root cubes, etc, but I like the simplicity of the ILGM recommendation.

1 Like

I keep mine in a light tight container in the fridge. I’ve kept them there for years and they still germinate.

7 Likes

Years plural @raustin? Do you have the occasional one not germinate or have you had pretty much 100% success so far?

I had one bruce banner seed not germinate right when i got it, but only 1/20 so far wirh ILGM and they were very good to me on replacing it. Id think they would replace any seed that didnt germinate for probably 6months or so after purchase who knows

I’ve never had a seed not germinate, even the older ones, yes, years.

2 Likes

I’ve been curious about this as well. All of mine are in air tight tubes and stored in a envelope in a drawer that’s rarely opened. But I’ve held off buying anything else until I thin the collection out some.

@PotandPans I keep in a cool area 50s in a safe in the bags they come in 12 years is the oldest I have had crack and they all cracked the way @raustin is another thing I have done as well and works great

2 Likes

I think my oldest seeds are like six. They still pop when I drop them.

Mine are just in match boxes In dark spot, grown bag seed from three years ago in going better the the ones I brought atm

Thanks to all in this thread…good info for the future; Dreamy Mixpack is coming!!! Super excited!

1 Like

Im loving all the long term success im hearing about.

Im with you Carpy! I have two mixpacks coming and im planning on starting mothers on my next (3rd) grow - and i was wondering how realistic it would be to drop one seed a year basically and run a mother of each strain - how realistic it sould be to become a small one man seed bank lol

1 Like

:cherries:Can you use a fan on seedlings?:cherries: