Seed Starting and moving outside in New England

Hello all. I’m Junkie and I’m new. I’ve grown a few times before with some success, but I really want to it right this year. I picked up a 20 pack of White Widow autoflower, and its beginning to feel like its about time to start them. So, I guess I am seeking advice on the best way to do that, with all or most of the seeds germinating and being viable, strong plants to move outside in mid-april-ish??
A simple google search confuses the hell out of me, so any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. @junkie.

I fill a red Solo cup with a good soil buffered for cannabis and drop the seed in it. Usually needs transplanted into a larger pot within a week to 10 days of the seedling poking above soil.

I’m not an outdoor grower and am not familiar with the NE environment. I would assume that you can put them outside when nightime temps are above the mid-50s, though I could very well be corrected on this one by a more experienced outdoor grower. Maybe mid-May? You’ll need plenty of lighting to sustain them until you put them outdoors.

A lot of growers soak their seeds to germinate them before dropping them in soil… They have good success too.

I personally don’t like seed starters like rockwool or peat pots. IMHO these retain too much water to keep a seedling healthy. Cannabis seedlings hate wet feet.

4 Likes

@junkie welcome to the forum.
I also use starter cups for seedlings jand then I cover them with plastic bags making a dome over the plants (individually) to bring up the humidity.
I will transplant to 5 gallon fabric pots when the leaves grow beyond the diameter of the cup and I look for roots to start growing out of the bottom.

Since you plan to go outside when the weather is more accommodative if I were you I would transplant to 1 gallon pots and that should hold you until you can go outside.

4 Likes

I live in the North east I usually plant around Mother’s Day I use 1 gallon nursery bags less transplant shock

4 Likes

When I lived in NYS I would start plants around St.Patrick’s Day and plant around Memorial Day.Check weather closely then,we had occasional frost that late.Be sure to acclimate (harden off) your plants for a few days before moving them outside.
Auto will be perfect,as they will finish up long before rain and humidity come to play.Happy Growing.

3 Likes

Don’t set them outside until your area has more than 13 hrs of light or the indicas will start flowering.

2 Likes

1 Like