Seed Germination Success Rate

Hello fellow growers, I’d like to present a question to the forum. For those of us growing from seed, what is your success rate in them popping and subsequently growing into a plant?

I’m currently experiencing a less than 50% success rate…and that is across four different suppliers and multiple seed producers. I was having good success up until the last 5-6 months when I bought a bunch of seeds that were on sale…New Years, 420, Memorial Day, etc. I drop 3 seeds and I’m lucky to have one pop. I store the seeds in dark, cool environment. I’ve tried using a shot glass, damp paper towel, and germination pods, all of which are in warm conditions…same results.

In the back of my mind, I’m wondering if it’s because of the exploding popularity of the hobby is causing the market to be diluted with immature, poorly propagated seeds.

I’m just curious to hear how everyone else is doing and to see if what I’m experiencing is considered normal. Also, anyone reading this post, please tag other growers you know of who grow from seed. Thanks to all that respond!

@Hellraiser @Oldschool82 @Caveman86 @Coen3440 @Not2SureYet @Covertgrower @Nicky @dbrn32 @Myfriendis410 @Burning_Budz

10 Likes

Thank you!..@WhiteLightning @kdawg @LFSHUMP @crazy1 @Pinboy @Herbology @Axemanjake23 @OGIncognito @bazoo @MeEasy

3 Likes

I’ll say on average about 95%. Most of it is grower error for myself.

6 Likes

90% or so for me.

5 Likes

Roughly 95% for me. I also like to get our seed order placed on those big holidays. Super good deals :wink:

5 Likes

I have hat 90 to 95 per cent rate. As the above growers most of the issues have been self inflicted. I also like the sales. :rofl: :bat:

5 Likes

I agree with the 90 - 95% . First year I was at 25% but finally landed on a system that works for me.

3 Likes

I’m gonna have to agree with the others. I did have issues before reading on this forum and realized I was drowning my seeds a majority of the time lol live and learn

4 Likes

Yes @IP54 I have been struggling to pop seeds, I bet I lost 90% of what I attempted to pop since I moved to my new house. I’ve been blaming the horrible water quality (I now have solved) that’s here and or something happening to the seeds in the move. I actually had problems with the last round of autos I did at the old house I lost like 15% and I’m no rookie at this

4 Likes

I’ve had 95% success germ thru harvest. They are strictly ILGM seeds, I’m a little weary of the other banks :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

I had 1 of 7 not pop most recently. I don’t drop a lot of seeds, but I don’t remember when last time was I had a seed not germinate.

3 Likes

Strictly ilgm seeds 1 out of 10 became healthy plants and the one that didn’t had a tail but never broke the surface of the soil. So 90%.

2 Likes

I have 90% success if they are seeds I bought. But freebies are 50%. I rarely lose a seed after it has popped out the soil, mine just do not germ, no tap root.

3 Likes
Hi IP54. Since I started to take growing more seriously (about 4-5 years ago) bagseed had to go and seeds from reputable vendors became a must. In that time I have germed a hundred or more seeds which flourished into full plants with only one seed that never popped. My method is very simple. I place a seed into a Rapid Rooter and "push" it in a little with a pen cap to cover then keep moist and in a dark, warm place (top of my closet). That is it and in 2-3 days she's popped! Keep r/r moist until (in my case) ready for solo cup and grow baby grow. Good luck!!
2 Likes

I’ll say this, no matter my problem, ILGM has been there for me. I fully expect that to be the case as long as I do business with them.

8 Likes

I’m kinda new I’ve only germinated 40 seeds but have had 90-95% success. Plates with paper towels. One time 100% didn’t make it. ILGM took care of it, and I was VERY pleased with their service.

4 Likes

I am pretty lucky. Other than a full order that was bad. I am in the 90 - 95% range as well. I have only had a few not want to pop. Most from the same strains and from the same breeder.

2 Likes

@IP54, For those of us growing from seed, what is your success rate in them popping and subsequently growing into a plant? @IP54 asked a 2 part question, success of germination, n what % after germination grows into a plant. @IP54 by a plant, do u mean that said plant was grown to flower?? N then harvest?? Or that the germinated seed, grows to a certain size? What exactly do u mean by subsequently growing into a plant??

1 Like

If mine pop and I don’t over water. 98% :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

So far I am about 95%

3 Likes