Second grow, walk with me!

So I soaked them in the glass overnight, transferee to a paper towel. Let them both sprout to about a 1/4 inch.

Dropped in to a rock wool (that was soaked, but not PHd out.) and covered, into its final home, and just hit it with light, no dome. One sprouted but immediately died (that’s where I think the PH just took it’s toll). The other, I believe I waited too long to put into rock wool, because I was at work for the day, and ended up being a little longer than intended. I think I may have just broke it trying to put it into the wool.

The second run , I never hit them with a dome , and my humidity was way too low for a seedling. Couldn’t get them to sprout out the cube (but we’re sprouted from the paper towel)

Basically classifying it as ; I was so excited that I successfully grew my first go, I jumped the gun on getting my second one up and started, and just missed KEY steps into sprouting and seedling care. Some things I’m gonna make sure not to do on this one.

2 Likes

We have two sprouts, everybody! Keeping them domed and humidified until I see those first leaf’s show , aside from the cotys.

But the real reason for this update is simple……I need a water chiller….

Praise be to my wonderful lady for being so supportive of me and my newly found & expensive hobby…

But this should be the LAST piece of equipment I need for my setup. And my outlets are maxed. I get a little sketched out about loading up power strips …but I can squeeze it and make it work. I have the joy of living in an old house with about 50% of the outlets being grouned and the other half not…so it’s a headache sometimes.

So , so th that being said, and I hate using this word because nothing well made is cheap and nothing cheap is well made….looking for recommendations on an affordable water chiller for 16 gallon total. That isn’t gonna break my bank.

Recently made my DWC into a RDWC so I don’t have to be inside my tent as much, but it instantly shot my water up about 3-4 degrees.

Here’s my recommendation. It’ll do the job. It cycles about 35 gallons in my RDWC. It doesn’t even have to be on 24/7 in the winter which is nice.

1 Like

Does this tank your electric bill at all? That’s the only thing I’m worried about right now. But I’m gonna look into it cause I really don’t want the stress of keeping the water at bay anymore :sweat_smile:

Nah, my electric bill has been sub $100 since the summer ended and I got to shut off my AC. even with all my lights and fans running all the time.

1 Like

Nice! I’m definitely going to invest. Just checking to see I won’t be overloading any power strips or outlets if I plug it into my setup.

I have to keep a heater or AC running cause the room I’m in is in the attic and has no venting coming inside from the house. So I basically create the environment the temp is in. My bills gone up around 40 bucks so far since starting but that’s scat compared to what I was spending on weed, monthly :joy:

1 Like

This is how I approach everything I do. “How many ounces of weed can I buy for $300? Oh. One?” Vs “how many ounces of weed can I grow for $300?” - if I was breaking down just by monthly energy costs, the answer is around 20 ounces if I had to guess. Assuming ~3 months of bills is $300. :rofl: 20 oz for $300 is a steal compared to 1.

1 Like

I like that thought, I try an stick with that idea, but sometimes I just overthink it. Better to get my setup complete now and not have to worry about any additional costs in the future

Exactly. The investment now means you can save up some funds and either enjoy the abundance or upgrade equipment as you go.

And sure some stuff fails but it’s chump change compared to the initial investment. Like a new inline fan, new carbon filter, replacement water pump, yadda yadda. $100 or less generally.

1 Like

We have life! These girls are still domed and keeping humidity. One of the cotys has a major curl to it but otherwise looks heathy. A little leggy but that’s okay.

When should I remove the domes? Once the first set of leaves kinda grow off of the plant? Or am I good to remove in a day or two?

I’d give them one more set of leaves, unless you can visibly see the roots poking through the rockwool already. I like to let them live under high humidity while they don’t have the roots to draw in moisture. But I also like to take the kid gloves off as soon as possible because they gotta face the harsh reality of living with me sooner or later. :joy:

1 Like

Okay , good! I’ve been “burping” them twice a day, when I go in and spray the domes to keep that humidity up. Haven’t checked the under the rock wool yet. I set these ones deeper than my last run, because my last ones were too high to the top and were exposed to light.

Just makin sure :+1:t4::+1:t4:

Most definitely! I’m perpetually out of likes. :heart: :joy:

1 Like

Anyone know what this may be? Thought it might be too early for a deficiency but I could be wrong.
No nutes in sprayer or res yet as roots don’t hit the water yet and I’m waiting on my chiller so I can flip and clean the res then add them. She’s still standing , had a small humidity leak the other day where dome wasn’t on properly and she fell over. But bounced back once I hit her with the humid dome and a drink. Other than that, going fine.

1 Like

I think it is too early for deficiency. Something else is going on - how is the light for intensity?

And where are the roots in relation to your water? /how is the rooting cube? (Moist, wet, dry?)

1 Like

About 25 DLI right now for the light. Not too sure where the roots are and how far till the water. Was trying to refrain from moving the rock wool out the medium. They have about 3 inches of traveling to do before they hit water from where they are at, give or take.
And the cube stays lightly moist. I thought maybe I had gotten some water on it from my sprayer but it has such an even spread, like it’s been dyed , I didn’t think that was it

1 Like

Yeah, it looks like something else is going on other than water damage. I’m inclined to think she may need a 6-8 ounce top feed instead of a spray bottle mist.

1 Like

I’ll be prepared to do so. @NeoGroR any idea what this might be be?

Not really. My first thought after reading you were in rock wool was root rot. That stuff intimidates me.

It doesn’t look good. Good thing is if you lose her, you didn’t have much time invested.

I don’t really see any wilting so I would say she’s not thirsty….

I don’t grow hydro, so let me make that clear.

Buuuut…. I would take away those clay ball thingies one by one until I had a clear view of the rock wool cube and see if that looks normal.

2 Likes

It’s just like a peat pellet but doesn’t shrink when it dries out. Also easily reused (unless you grow tree trunks, I guess!).

I agree though something is amiss. The rockwool being too dry was my thought - moving the hydroton to see the state of the root cube is a great idea

1 Like