Second Grow: LSD, Blueberry, BC99 Fast in Coco; Aurora Indica Auto in AutoPots, Help Wanted

Pictures of the autos from last night. I believe the leaves looks a bit happier, particularly on the one in the rear (the taller one).
These two girls are a bit different from each other. The one is taller, longer node spacing, smaller budlets, lighter foliage, and pale green stems.
The long branches covered with pistils are quite interesting to me. Much different than my first plant. Hopefully these budlets turn into nuggets. The breeder says “extremely compact, resin soaked golf ball sized nugs that can be described as spiced, dank, earthy and pungent”. Hope so!
The breeder also says 8-9W seed to harvest. Don’t think so. They are eight weeks now.
Any educated guesses or SWAGs for how many more weeks these may go?

These are growing pressed against the sides

4 Likes

Owee! Tallest cola on BC99F number two, trying to see how much it would bend. Answer is not much. Snapped like a string bean. Fortunately there was the skin of the stem holding it on the one side and I was able to splint it. Cut off all the fan leaves and hope it lives. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I bet she’ll be fine…

3 Likes

@jd77 That humidity seems high to my unexperienced brain. Are you venting outside or back into the lung room? If you are already venting to the outside I would try having more of the intake places on your tent opened up for air but still shaded for light. And/or turning that exhaust up another notch. I ended up removing my filter entirely but I am in a rural area so smell is no biggy for me, it sure did increase the air flow.

1 Like

I appreciate that input.
Yes, too high for flowering.
Venting the 2x4 into the lung room along with the newest 20x36” and the original 2.3 x 2.3 in the closet.
20x36 has the two LSDs and a T6 running 1 or 2 and humidity 37-50.
2.3 has two autos and a T4 on 4 or 5. It is running 40-55. Hoping to get that one down a little too.
Filters are required.
Lung room varies from 28-50, depending on time of day. It has been quite interesting to see how much this micro climate has changed because of these plants in here and the weather outside and how difficult it is to control. I have used a portable air conditioner, dehumidifier, humidifier and heaters. Since June. Crazy what we do for these girls.
FWIW, we stayed under 60 in the 2 x 4 for the last 24 hours. Most likely it’s the fact that it is much colder outside or perhaps the continual defoliation had an affect. Will continue to monitor and learn.

2 Likes

As expected, no problem. Does looks like upward growth on that cola has slowed a little while she heals. Some others have just about reached her height.

4 Likes

Trying to find ways to speed up the feeding process. I am mixing 12 gallons at a time with silicon, Cal Mag+, and nutrients. Today I started with almost 5 gallons (emptied the reservoir). Next I pH, then start with the photo girls. I pour out 5 L into a large measuring cup which I then use to dispense 320 mL at a time with a tall beaker.
Today:
Blueberry took 1.9 L to runoff
BC99F #2 2.6 L
#1 3.1 L
LSD #3 3.2 L
#2 3.5 L
Next I take what is left after feeding the photos and pour (2.5 L) into the 5 L measuring cup then add 2.5 L of tap or dehumidifier water. I then add 2.5 mL of Cal Mag+ and pH.
AIA #1 2 L
#2 1.6 L

I’m getting a bit more efficient, but not there yet.
After feeding, it’s empty the drip pans and wipe them out. And then today I’ll need to fill up some buckets with water. I let them air out for a day or more if I can to get rid of any chlorine. Honestly though, I don’t know if I have chlorine or chloramine in the water. I’ll call the city again and ask, but last time I left a message and got no call back. I think to remove chloramine requires a filter.

2 Likes

Do they have the latest water report online? Our city puts one out every month and I just have to go to city website to see it. :call_me_hand:

Thank you for your reply @GrimJack.
Yes, the city post online, but I can’t quite figure out what they’re saying. I find no mention of chlorine or chloramine, only chlorination, which I don’t know for sure if that means chlorine. See attached.
I am not concerned, just curious, because I’m not gonna do anything different one way or the other. At least based on what I know now.

1 Like

@jd77 chlorination usually refers to chlorine added. Most water treatments use one or the other. I would read that report as chlorine added. You never know though with all the BS. I would assume there would be no chloramine, but you never really know. I would go with that and hope you get a response soon from the water company. I got one report, based everything off that one 20 years ago, haven’t even looked it up again. Once you have a baseline, you’re good unless something changes dramatically. :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I would agree with you @skippyisnohippy on the likelihood it is chlorine and continue to aerate for 24 hours whenever possible.
Past experience with my city’s administration is I will have no problem getting eggs answer. Just have to physically talk to someone. For that I think I am fortunate.

1 Like

Pictures from trimming me smaller auto last night. A little cautious with removing a lot of foliage and little branches and such, but looks to me like it needs it. Additionally, the humidity in her tent mostly resides in the 50s and I would like to get it down a little.
She has a very fuzzy undercarriage and some very promising buds. Not sure if it’s still all pistils nor can I identify any calyces in this photo, but I think I see some with my loupe on some of the other buds that have the pistils starting to dry up and brown.
Her big sister looks to have smaller buds, has no browning, and I cannot identify any calyces.
If this turns out as I hope and I grow it again I will not top or fim. Or at least that’s my current thought. What I know and what I believe and what I think I know are continually changing and my plans with it. We shall see…

3 Likes

Trying to keep up with the girls. Learning as I go.
The Blue girls got away from me. Yesterday I had to rework the lights somewhat. The lights were about 6" from the tops on BC99F #2. I had 13" to the filter which is at the top. l removed the wire light hangers as they were as high as could be and used lanyards.
I am hoping the stretch is almost over. I demonstrated the other day the branches are brittle so not much bending can happen. I will study up (again) on the stem twisting thing. Will it work and is it advisable at this point?
Yesterday I ordered a 12" extension for this tent. Hopefully I won’t have to use it for this grow, as setting it up with the grow in progress would increase the difficulty considerably. If I can, I will wait until the tent is empty. First I will lower the shelf they are on a few inches and move the T6 filter outside the tent if necessary.

The top of the picture is the top of the tent.

Wide angle shot here so the dimensions are distorted

Currently

4 Likes

Last night’s trimming of Aurora Indica Auto #1. This is the taller of the two. Removed lots of leaves and small branches. This is probably the last major trimming for the autos, but as usual, that may change. As previously stated, my first autos and only my second grow, so not sure this is correct, but it looked necessary to me.
The last few weeks all the girls have had at least two major trims, with the photos likely getting a few more.

Before

After

3 Likes

I was looking at your light setup in the tent up above where you needed more height for your lights. I took those wire hangers with the loops on them that you have on all 4 corners of your lights and using pliers and some stiff wire added a loop to the center of those wires and was able to remove 2 of them. So the loops currently at the top of your tent would be attached to the other corner of the light and would raise it by 6 inches or so. I don’t know if that makes sense the way I am describing it, I will try to remember to take a picture after the lights come back on.

2 Likes

Thank you.
Were you describing something like this?
Right now I am 7 inches from the filter with the light, 8 inches to the tallest cola from the light, and I can shorten the shelf 4 inches. Removing the filter will gain another almost 9 inches.
The light is about 55% on the potentiometer, do not have the means to measure the current, but the DLI is about 60 on the tops. At this time I do not know if a light running reduced power has the penetration of a light farther away at full power. Something I want to figure out. I do not like running anything electronic at full power if It is not necessary. Most items are designed to run most efficiently in the middle of their range.

1 Like

Last night Blueberry also got a trim.
She used to be the boss of the Blues, now she’s the little one. She has to have a booster seat.

Before

After

3 Likes

So this is what I did with mine.

Those plastic coated wire hangers that came with my HLG lights just basically got a third loop put in the middle cutting the effective length in half and keeps the light from tipping as it would without the loop put in and also means I have the spare wire hangers from each light. Right now my lights are high enough but I could remove that adjustable rope hanger entirely and hang on an S hook I got instead of that twisted piece of wire. In your case I think the heat sink touching your filter would be ok as long as it wasn’t the driver touching against something. If the heat above the light is a worry hang a cheap fan up there blowing across the top of the driver or at least the light. What you see in my picture is how my lights are right now and I will probably pull my carts out of the tent to defoliate one last time and just remove that adjustable cord hanger and just set them at maximum height for the rest of this grow. If I do that it will leave me about 8 inches from the roof. Sorry about writing a novel in the middle of your journal. You’re plants look great!

2 Likes

Thanks for that.
It is tough trying to keep up with the gals while learning and stumbling as I go. But it keeps me off the street corner.
Yes, I believe in cooling, so every light and every light driver has air blowing on it.
You have quite a jungle growing. Defol will be a chore.

2 Likes

Went back through photos and I think these will be official flower start dates
LSD

Today

Blue Girls

Yesterday

4 Likes