Second grow general question

Monitor your output tds for solids numbers starting now. Your soil will show depleted if you monitor the dissolved solids over time. Taking a single snapshot won’t work. Look at the plant; is it healthy and happy? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it lol.

I’m going to feed during veg with some ph balanced worm castings and I may use throughout the entire grow. Probably would still need additional P and K though in flower.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410

Can I do a slurry test? I have a TDS meter but never really messed with it. It is a cheaper one that came with a cheap PH meter ( I don’t use the ph meter because it was terrible lol)

2 Likes

Sure; a slurry test IIRC; ph 6.5 water mixed 50/50, let stand for 30 minutes and read the ph. Solids are taken in runoff. The last cup or so of runoff to see the state of your soil.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410

Do you have a recommendation for a decent tds meter?

1 Like

Apera makes a decent one. I think mine is a Jellas? Not sure of the spelling. It was under $15 on Amazon.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 @Laurap @timmyv324

Good Morning Again Everyone,

I just want to make sure this isn’t heat stress from lights…take a look at the pics. It looks as there may be a little curling on one leaf…or I may just be over thinking things…take a look please

I have a 600 watt meizhi light about 18 inches away.

3 Likes

Im not a led girl but they look fine to me.

2 Likes

@Laurap is right: plants look fine. Time to relax and smoke a bowl.

2 Likes

Anytimes good for a bowl!

3 Likes

Well, yeah! Haha.

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410

So I took a PPM reading of my tap water and it reads 127, I check the run off and it was in the 900’s. Is it safe to assume when the nutrients are gone it will be much lower than 900?

1 Like

Yes; that’s one of the reasons to take the tds to develop a histogram of your soil conditions. I sure wish my tap water was that low. Mine’s four times that high.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410

So if yours is around 400-500 out of the tap, how does that affect your feedings?

If you have heat issues the leaves will fold up like a taco

1 Like

I have to keep nutrient levels a couple of hundred ppm lower.

1 Like

So just an update since today was the first day I gave 1/4 strength nutes. I am using the NFTG sample pack.

I am new to measuring ppm, but the mix going in was 417ppm (assume since it was 1/4 strength) and the runoff was 950ppm.

The pH of the runoff was 6.6.

Here’s a couple pics of her…

Is it good that she is shorter and bushy? (I assume she will stretch in flower)

It is Purple Haze, and she sprouted on 1/25.

Also is this overkill on lights for veg?

2 Likes

You’re off to a good start, bushy is good, and yes, that’s overkill on the lights. Lol.

3 Likes

@raustin

When the time comes to flower, would that still be too much for lights?

1 Like

Yes, I think so. What is that top light that seems to be off? That looks to be a sufficient light for your one plant. Even LEDs can burn and bleach the leaves. I think if you just turn on that top light, you should be good. But let’s ask our resident lighting expert, @dbrn32. :relaxed:

3 Likes

There’s definitely more light on that plant than is necessary for right now.

How big is the space, and what model light is up top?

2 Likes