SCROG set up & other questions

Hey yall

I want to SCROGof my 5 Gold Leaf plants. How big would one want the holes to be in the netting? Is there a square footage recommendation per plant? Is there a preferred height or should I make it with adjustable legs? But even then; Is there a hight range? Should the netting have some slack or be tight? For these I will until they have 6 nodes like @Hellraiser advised in his journal. Then I plan on clipping in between the 4th & 5th nodes

I plan on building the frame out of 1 1/2" pvs and bailing twine.

I have 8 White Widow Auto-flowers. Those I will not top, so I plan on LST or Super-Cropping. I am not sure which direction I should travel.

My wife says she gonna have a poster of this made for me to hang in my milk house. I guess I’ve been spending some time in there. Lol.
introvert-memes7 (1)

11 Likes

Love it brother! My girl gets on me too about it but she actually gets mad sometimes haha because I’m always on the phone but I’m on this forum researching and learning and posting my journal and my adventures haha. She loves the lady’s now though and takes care of them for me while I’m at work it’s nice haha. As far as netting goes I am no expert I have not even used the net on any of my grows YET. But my Growmie next door uses it and I’ve seen a lot of guys on here use them. I would go with 3-4inch squares some people go with two inch but that’s real small I say 3-4 is safe bet to tuck and weave all your branches and colas. But yes you want it pretty tight like tight enough it can help support flopping branches Etc. It’s all about preference I think though I’ve seen people with 4-5 inch squares. And alot of people install the first net around 10” above medium or pot level and then will imply another later as the plant grows right through the first. Others install it around 24” and so on! Well anyways hope I was some help! There’s alot of amazing people on here full of info as you know! @HappyHydroGrower uses scrog sure he could show you his @Sincitytoker i believe has a net in there too

5 Likes

@ConcreteBudz
Thanks for the tag
This is my second time using a net and I’m learning something every time.
I just purchased mine online and to tell you the truth I never measured the squares :joy:
But @Not2SureYet has built a scrog net on a pvc frame that sit right around his pot and plant.
So does @Myfriendis410
I’m sure they will shoot any pointers or advice your way.
It looks like your looking to build something identical to what they have set up.
As far as how far you want the net that is going to depend on alot of things.
One thing I will start doing on my next grow is flip when canopy is about 40-50% filled and will be using 2 nets instead of just one like I have been.
This grow I have going now I’m using one net and I placed it at 20” above medium.
Some folks place it at 12” or 24” just depends on strain you are growing ,lights,height of your tent and many others.
As you start using one you will start learning what works for your set up.

4 Likes

I would do the 3 - 4" my self. Mine are adjustable. The trellis net really can’t be used as a scrog very easy because of the large holes. Most use those just for branch supports. I tried to use a trellis net back when I started growing. And found out it wasn’t really good as a scrog. I then copied @Myfriendis410 s scrog. And eventually ended up with my adjustable lines. The big plus with mine is. I can use just a few lines, or non if I want. I have the whole center open to feed. And then just slide a line over when it is needed. There are a lot of different ways t make them. But I agree with @ConcreteBudz At least for what I prefer. Here are a few pictures of the stages I went through to get where I am at now

This was a AK - 47 I did with the trellis net. All it really did was spread the branches some

This shows how much flatter you can get with an actual scrog

This is the start with the scrogs I now use.

If all you have is the trellis net. It could be modified to use as an actual scro with a little work :+1:

6 Likes

Thanks for tag @ConcreteBudz

@Sincitytoker i couldn’t have said it better. Scrogging is a personal preference. It takes time to figure out what works best for your style of growing as well as your grow setup.

I’m like @Not2SureYet I’ve done two different type scrogs.
I’ve used the 2”x4” square wire fencing that comes from HD on three different grows and have used and am now using pvc w/sting like Not2Sure.
I also got bamboo that I may try at some point.
BTW @Not2SureYet how thick is your bamboo that you used. I was only able to get 5/16” dia.

@Myfriendis410 and @Grandaddy013 are the masters of scrog also from which I have learned. There are plenty of others that also do a great job with a scrog. @merlin44 does an excellent scrog where he attaches his scrogs to his plants, highly recommend looking into his journal as well.

Here are a few small ones that I’ve done.

2”x4” wire fence 28”x28” scrog

With pvc and string

Currently I have 2 autos going and each scrog is 28”x36”. Loving this hydro. Scrog square size is 3”x3”.

What ever you decide, you’ll figure out in time what works best for you. Every grow is an improvement to the previous grow. You’ll be fine. Whatever we can help with, feel free to tag away. Good luck and please keep us posted. Good luck! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

16 Likes

:+1: You can be sure that what ever you try. You will learn a lot from it and it will help you get dialed into what is best for you. @HappyHydroGrower I get these in 2’, 3’ and 4’ lengths. And now I remember your grows :grin: I haven’t found a strain that lays that flat yet. My GS was close. But your canopy there is perfect. Are you about 10" off the pot? :star_struck:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051GUQO8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 Likes

Some beautiful SCROGs up in this thread!

I just top and spread the branches out some and let them grow, combine with lolli-popping and regular defoliations to keep light to the tops and you get something like this in 6 weeks flowering (my current grow), wall to wall tops. I use vivosun trellis nets with like 6" grids, though I use them more for “separate and support” the branches and colas than some true scroggers that spend a lot more time training to the screen in veg. I usually slap up the screen a couple weeks into flowering during the stretch.

under the hood

14 Likes

Thanks for remembering my grow and the compliment… haha! :+1:t2:
In the last picture, the first scrog is 6” from the top of the tote. They started out like they were gonna be small. Wife’s doing some trimming right now and soon as she gets through, I’m gonna set another scrog on top of her at about 13”. I am doing string with 3” sq. It’s gonna be tough to get it on there cause I could probably go up to 15” to be safe… lol
I’ve been known to push the limits a little. :crazy_face:
I’ll update either today or tonight on my thread.

When I do photos, I tend to do about the same thing. Except, I’ll use the first scrog to help move plants out, and do all the training before buds sites form and then once they do, I’ll put a second scrog on.

BTW, I have always envied your grows brother! Awesome job! And full of knowledge!!
Thanks for keeping us educated! :v::+1:t2::sunglasses:

6 Likes

No advice on the SCROG - I need to figure out how to get something set up myself. But man is that ever relateable. Too much time in the tent trying to figure it all out. :rofl:

6 Likes

@Hellraiser Where did you find those bar clips to add the side bars? I only found one place and they don’t send to the US. I have been trying to figure out some thing so I could add them. Then I could use a trellis net later on for upper support. Mine always stretch at least 2 feet or more above my scrog.

2 Likes

Bought them directly from the Gorilla grow tent website, they call it a High CFM kit, 1 kit comes with 4 bars and end clips, bought 2 kits for each of my Gorilla tents.

1 Like

Thanks. I am going to look and see if they just may work for me. :grin:

1 Like

I believe @CoyoteCody use to make some of those on his 3-d printer. Just the clips then you supply the PVC pipe.

3 Likes

Ignore the mess behind that lol, first thing I could clip it to.

5 Likes

Thanks @Deepsix I forgot that some one here had a printer and I believe made @Nicky some fan mounts. :+1: I had thought about trying some of the flex tape. Where you wrap what you want. Get the tape wet and let it harden. Maybe wrap the poles with waxed paper or some thing so they would be removable since I would need to adjust the height.

4 Likes

Anytime sir. Yes I remember @Nicky thinking about getting some fan clips.

1 Like

Gotta love this place :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: @CoyoteCody Do those actually clip on. Or do they need some thing to secure them on the other side too.

1 Like

Cody made mine, we tried a couple different styles. I prefer the ones that you put the pole through them, of the 3D printed ones.
Although the best fan I have has a different clip Cody printed and I’m soooo thankful to have been able to mount, it was pretty hard to attach but I finally got it and it does an amazing job.

I was off the forums all month and now I’m at work but I should definitely msg you on the other side Cody and give you some feedback. Because build a hybrid mount for those amazon fans would be absolutely bomb.

3 Likes

They clip on, I have them in 16, 19, and 22 mm, I need to get around to printing all my stuff and put it in the tent to show you guys.

4 Likes

Hit me up anytime brother!!

1 Like