If you can figure out how to FIM your plant that makes 4 tops which will thread diagonally out to all four corners beautifully.
I like to do a single topping. Then I get matched sides of the plant, and I super crop those two main stems down to the screen… the branches coming off of each them run perpendicular to the main, and if I’ve managed my light properly, I can come pretty close to having nodes line up with the strings. Close enough to allow me to have each branch follow a string to the edge. This makes it pretty easy for me to adjust tie downs as the plant grows through the stretch - I usually just loosen them and slide them out, then tighten them back up.
See? You tie down; I tuck under. Just goes to show there are many more ways to do it right than the book says lol. I’ve never done a SCROG correctly yet haha!
Absolutely. My first couple of attempts I did the tuck under method, weaving through the screen, etc… I had a hard time in my brain following every branch when I did it that way and failed to anticipate new growth properly… using the tie-down method for whatever reason just allows my brain to more easily get the plant to match the vision in my head.
I do 4x4 squares. My net is 48x48 and that was easy to get them evenly spaced. I let them grow through the net approximately 8", then super crop and tie them down. When I get the screen approximately 60% full, I flip my lights and continue tying down until I have flower. Due to new change in growing, I won’t be able to do it that way anymore. Just started new crop while these are flowering, and when they finish, the next ones will be ready to flower. I will bend them down (or super crop) and put my net on top of them. As you can see, and was stated before, you can do very many ways. You’re just trying to keep your canopy even to get more light to each bud. DON’T STRESS
Thank you all for the great input. I will b doin 3 plants and I have already topped them but I had to reduce the size of my grow area and use more reflective mylar due to lighting issues. HLG just got restocked with their 288 v2 Quantum boards and already sold out ! I’m using my Flourescent fixture so need better light intensity. I did not do to bad on last grow with an OG-kush, I entered it in the bud of the month for February. I topped it and did LST on it came out pretty good. I know better lighting will provide better yields. Here is a pic of it !
Got a thread on that anywhere?
This one is my original journal
Here’s the current one:
I will go check it out!
That’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to build a PVC cage for my mainline plants. When I decide to do a ScrOG also, I can double it as a screen with some nylon or something.
My first grow could have passed for a scrog. There was so kuch LST and horizontal training. The 3 girls used the whole 3x4 tent with a very flat canopy.
My first grow can only pass as a good lesson in what not to do.
Here was my faux ScrOG lol. They were all stretched out as far as they would. The first half of my first grow was just disaster after disaster. Then I figured it out decent enough to finish.
That’s beautiful. That’s a nicely managed group of plants - how big is the tent?
Its 3x4x6 so works out to more than a square meter of space. I would LST them until the stretch ended in flower. Every night was like fitting a new puzzle together, so the plants could fit in there. With a flat canopy. Her top looked cool as hell to look at.
Yeah, that’s how I did the last two SCROGs I did. One of them I was a little better at than the other. The first one I trained until it wouldn’t let me - well into bud stacking - until I felt I wouldn’t have colas bigger than 4-6". That one was the blackberry kush I grew last winter:
That plant didn’t stretch nearly as much as I thought it would… but ended up being my best yielder so far.
The other one (my last SCROG) was my first attempt to fill the tent with one plant (and only attempt thus far). I vegged a GL for three months and moved into my flower tent and put a screen over it:
Unfortunately, I got bud rot on that plant and ended up harvesting it a few days earlier than I would’ve liked, so it’s not my favorite weed:
I did a long veg on a GL too and it was in a 7 gallon with Promix: I think I had more canopy than the roots could support and it finished early with almost all larf.
Here’s one of my SCROG grows.
That’s a nice canopy of buds there. More spacing might have prevented bud rot. I used to have a window fan that was 24" wide push air over my buds, but watching for bud rot can prove difficult with so many colas coming off the main stem.
I got the bud rot in one corner of the tent, which unfortunately was directly under the exhaust vent… learned my lesson. Moved the duct hose to a side port above the lights. I’m fairly certain condensation was dripping on them from overhead during lights out.
I get you, mate. That sucks, but at least it was just a corner.