Scrog for a 2x2x4

Growing two auto white widows in a 2x2x4 tent. Trying to figure out how tall I should build my scrog rig. Any suggestions?

3 Likes

I’d recommend placing the SCROG net at about 10"-12" from the soil for growing autos. Maybe some others can give you some advice too!

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Your tent is 4 feet tall? You’re gonna need to keep them very low. What are you using for lights?

1 Like

Good question @growingherbies I have a tent the same size
I was going to scrog also
I have a scrog set up in my 4x4x7 set screen at 25 inches but wasn’t sure what to do in small tent I was going to go with about the same as @ktreez420 suggested myself to keep everything low like @bob31 said
Your tent will be full with two plants for sure lol
Good luck and happy growing :v::cowboy_hat_face:CB

2 Likes

@countryboyjvd1971 I’ve read to put the net about a foot above the container that it’s in. Thinking about doing 1/2" or 3/4" frame, just not sure how high I should build them - thinking maybe a foot above the shorter container - the one is just a couple of inches shorter than the other. How far above your container is the 25" one?

I’m using Ifive gallon soft pots and I set my net at 25 inches from floor I’ll try to get a good measurement in a bit for you bro but my plant was 23 inches at the time so I’d say if you have small plant right now set net 12 inches or so off tops and kept them grow into it you tent is low so you’ll need to get it trained early or you’ll run out of room

leaving room for the lights to breathe, the thickness of the fixtures, distance from top of buds needed to avoid burn gives you the max height of your grow. Subtract amount of stretch expected plus four inches you want your veg above the net before switching to get nice tall spire buds.

2 Likes

@Stomper I’m growing autoflowers - today starts week three - when should I put this together and get it in the tent?

Autos run about 60 days from seed to harvest give or take. I grow all fem photos so far so not personally up on autos. WW will get to be about 30 to 36 inches tall at end of grow if the net is 24" off the ground but it takes a while to get them that big in soil so i would put the net at about 20" off the ground. They should go in the tent as early as possible because it probably has better reflectives and stuff but at least by the time the side branches are at net level. the main split if you topped it will be taller than the net. When they are 4 or more inches above net level bend them down and tuck under the net or tie down the end.

@stomper I already have my girls in the tent, just wasn’t sure when to put the tent in - guess I can go ahead and do it and just train them as they get up there. Have read mixed things on topping the autos, so wasn’t really planning on doing that - just going to train them on the tent.

1 Like

@growingherbies how tall are your pots and how tall are your plants right now?

What are you using for lights? You need to consider how much room they need then you can calculate how tall they can get.

White Widows in week 3 from sprout? You have 5-6 weeks before they start flowering.

According to the ilgm seed site the wwa will grow to be 20-24 inches tall.

1 Like

Pots are about a foot tall. Plants are a couple of inches tall probably. Using a 400W LED light. Today is the first day of week three since I planted the seeds in the germ pods.

1 Like

@growingherbies how far does the manufacturer recommend you keep your lights above the plants? Sometimes they will even break them down by growth stages (ie seedling / Veg/ flower)

We have a general table for LED Lights:

Here’s a chart for LED lights, it’s for equivalent watt, so if your LED light is 300W follow the chart for it, it’s not made for actual or real draw and it’s an approximation, that clarify, here it is :

120 W to 180W ~1.5 feet
180W to 300W ~2.0 feet
300W to 600W ~2.5 feet
600W to 1200W ~3.0 feet
1200W to 2000W ~3.5 feet

Hoping that’s helping as many as fellow growers possible Courtesy of @Niala

2 Likes

@bob31 Thanks for the info! My lights are around that far away right now - I can raise them another 6" or so before I’m gonna have to get creative to keep them far enough away. I’m guessing this is where the scrog net comes in? I think that’s what I’m most nervous about - them getting too close to the light as they grow taller. The smaller one had a major growth spurt last night - she’s almost caught up with Snoop now. :smile:

1 Like

So lets do some math! (I dreaded those words when I was a kid!)

4 foot space
-1 foot for pot

3 feet left
-2.5 feet for light (plus 6 inch space above light)

.5 inches left to work with (that’s if your light) is mounted at the very top of the tent, right now you have zero space to work with because there is a 6 inch space above your lights)

You have some wiggle room with lights, but not much.

according to my calcs, you need
1 foot for pots
2 feet for WWA to grow (w/o scrog or LST)
2.5 feet for light
.5 at top of lights for safety

6 feet total needed without scrog / LST

1 foot for pots
1 foot for WWA to grow (4-6 inches tall and then LST and or SCROG 6 inches more)
2.5 feet for light
.5 at top of lights for safety

5 feet total needed with LST/ SCROG

I’m not sure how to make this work? It’s going to be awful tight. I’m not trying to discourage you, but if you don’t account for this you are going to be disappointed when your plants have severe light burn and heat stress. Better to resolve these issue before the actual problem develops.

2 Likes

@bob31 As they get bigger, since they’re autoflower, could reducing light to 12/12 help?

If there is a scrog net at 20" and the tops of the branches are within one to four inches above the net max when it flowers there will be 28" for growth. if the light is max height use lst with autos to keep the canopy low till it flowers. Photos are easier in short tents since you can induce flower at any time.

Light duration does not change autos except they grow better in 18/6

3 Likes

@Stomper 18/6 is what I have them at now. If the pots are 12", I put the scrog 8" above which gives me 28" for growth AND the light. If I put the light at the very top, it will give me around 24" for growth and headspace for the light…is this too close? Now I’m questioning all of my research lol :frowning:

What brand of light are you using. My Leds are not as good as the mfg states so i have them at 12" without any issues but others will burn that close.

@stomper I don’t think it even has a brand name on it. I got it off of Amazon - had pretty good reviews, so I went for it. Here’s a link to what I got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JIIQRPQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1